• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl record clamp

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
They need help you think? I encourage you to contribute in the teaching path T-Bone.
You have much to give to people in search of audio nirvana. I can see it in you, around you, all over. I would do exactly that with your advanced knowledge and experience; contributing the missing link from what you've just read in that thread from that link I provided.

TBone

Major Contributor
They need help you think? I encourage you to contribute in the teaching path T-Bone.
You have much to give to people in search of audio nirvana. I can see it in you, around you, all over. I would do exactly that with your advanced knowledge and experience; contributing the missing link from what you've just read in that thread from that link I provided.

no thanks ...

I've dealt with some of those guys before on past boards, often in a negative way.

When I encountered Astor @WBF about some of his nonsense (difficult back then, because at that time he (and MEP) were being "protected" by the moderation "gang"), he responded by posting lies about me. Thankfully Steve intervened.

Most of 'em already know everything, wayyyyyyyyyyyy beyond needing my help.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I see. I appreciate your presence and contribution here @ ASR.

* I have registered @ Audionirvana about two years ago; my registration is still pending.
Twenty years from now it might be approved and accepted. ...I got time.

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
I have registered @ Audionirvana about two years ago; my registration is still pending.
Twenty years from now it might be approved and accepted. ...I got time.

I thought of registering there on a lark ... but I'm pretty certain they'd not welcome my brand of honesty.

I go there occasionally, very occasionally, vinyl-philes who believe in fairy tales & chasing ghost may appreciate the place for what it is, but they've very little, if anything, to offer me..

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
(sigh)

Notice not one of those so-called eggsperts noted the importance of maintaining LP based azimuth during the process of clamping.

They'll go on all day about how great their system is, and the importance of tonearm / stylus azimuth setup ... but yet ... they ALL make the exact same mistake of clamping down indiscriminately.
This and many other reasons are why most here love and cherish vinyl so much.

TBone

Major Contributor
This and many other reasons are why most here love and cherish vinyl so much.

there, not here, correct? Often I think I'm the only one here who appreciates vinyl for what it is ... I find this place to be farrrrrrrr more anti-vinyl than pro-vinyl, which makes me wonder if posting anything vinyl, here, is worth the effort..

NorthSky

Major Contributor
there, not here, correct? Often I think I'm the only one here who appreciates vinyl for what it is ... I find this place to be farrrrrrrr more anti-vinyl than pro-vinyl, which makes me wonder if posting anything vinyl, here, is worth the effort..

It is, don't give up.

* Check this out...scroll down slowly, to get back the hang of it, and down to post #50, and then go to the next page.
-> http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-12-quot-arms!&p=168017&viewfull=1#post168017

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Don't feel bad or threatened. For me, it is a pleasant stroll down memory lahe from the days where essentially nothing other than vinyl existed. But, I think you will find only few fellow LP spinners here. I am not trying to dissuade you. Enjoy it. And, post about it. We enjoy the nostalgia of it, even if not the fidelity, though you may disagree.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Don't feel bad or threatened. For me, it is a pleasant stroll down memory lahe from the days where essentially nothing other than vinyl existed. But, I think you will find only few fellow LP spinners here. I am not trying to dissuade you. Enjoy it. And, post about it. We enjoy the nostalgia of it, even if not the fidelity, though you may disagree.

I concur.

Vinyl is well known in its performance abilities and limitations. It is when claims are made for performance well above these knowns and more esoteric qualities impressed on replay that pushback occurs.

I have no issue playing vinyl and accepting it for what it was specified to do. Because of its inherent non-musical artifacts and the fiddle involved in using it I mainly prefer CD.

I feel that most members would feel much the same way, some to the point of going digital with its advantages.

I retain an interest in tone-arms and turntables from an design/engineering viewpoint.

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
Wobat, curious .... can you please provide a description of your vinyl setup.

TBone

Major Contributor

I really don't care enough to be threatened ... and as far a fidelity is concerned, what I prefer depends on the LP or the Digital files capability, esp from a compression point of view. I've versions of each format which measure and sound significantly better than each other ... depending on mastering.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Wobat, curious .... can you please provide a description of your vinyl setup.

Technics SL10/EPS-310MC / MC pre Altec 15095 step-up transformers.

Pioneer PL-L1000/Shure V15IV/ NAD MM pre.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Any rips?

No rips to computer.

I used to rip new records to Compact Cassette using a Nakamichi 520 '3-head' deck. Most of my vinyl is in almost new condition except for some second hand purchases which are generally VG because I know how to inspect them.

I tend to listen casually, now. Sometimes seated but not necessarily in a sweet spot. I stopped critical listening years ago and just enjoy the music I like.

Bald1

I'm still using a Merrill modified "The AR" TT including a Merrill/Scallia acrylic platter, with a Sumiko Premier MMT arm, Orsonic AV-1S or Sumiko HS-12 headshells for Denon DL-304 and DL-103D cartridges through a DIY SUT employing CineMag CMQEE-3440A transformers, Sumiko PIB-1 phono interface box, and (not shown in the first picture) HomeGrownAudio Super Silver cables. The record clamp is a Turntable Toys RC-101 592g piece.

SUT_sm.jpg

stereo_rack_sm.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Bald1

The table originally came with an aluminum platter with weights affixed to balance it out. Over the years I had felt, cork, and rubber/silicone type mats on it. But then the acrylic platter won me over. I have a Whitacre copolymer ring for it that Merrill/Scallia bundled with the platter, but found it seemed to dampen high frequencies so I don't use it. Tried my old mats and a few highly touted after-market jobs (x-tremephono none-felt, lead, etc.) but found I preferred the acrylic "nakid." :) The weight/clamp I adopted helps "couple" vinyl to the platter. No discernible affect on the Merrill table motor or suspension. Maybe a placebo but I like it. :)

Never was seduced by the outer ring clamps, or the high cost vacuum numbers of old.

Last edited:

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When the stylus is in the groove, it is not the only thing vibrating. Ideally it would by but it is not. With any turntable you can hear the music even when the amplification is turned off. The vinyl itself sings as does the cartridge body, tonearm, etc. With a well damped quality setup this sound is very faint. With some cheap or poorly design rigs, it's pretty loud. Some of that noise couples back into the cartridge as distortion. Since some of sounds kind of reverb'ish, it's not always unpleasant. I have a TT that clamps the record to an acrylic platter with no mat. This reduces the vibration of the vinyl LP itself, removing some of the distortions inherent in LP playback. Putting a weight on an LP that is sitting on a mat probably helps too but I suspect not as much.

Top Bottom