• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl record clamp

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
So the platter was made concave, slightly lower in the middle than the perimeter? That would make sense in helping the clamp flatten any warping. My HK's mat with the recessed label area somewhat addressed the same issue.
608478-harmon_kardonrabco_st8_turntable.jpg
There was probably no better on the planet at that time than the Goldmund, but far too rich for my blood.

Incidentally, the Oracle also had a recessed area in the mat for the label. However, a shaped washer under the mat at the center spindle pushed the center of the label area under the mat and record up slightly well within the outer radius of the clamp, which had a much larger radius, slightly less than the label. Then, the clamp via leverage was better able to push down on the grooved area of the LP out to the outer grooves. However, that screwon clamping action over the washer did cause some LPs to fracture slightly around the center hole under the label if applied too tightly. No big deal, though, and the label held them together. It did not affect playback. Also, severe disc warps were not entirely removed by clamping.

My ultimate tonearm on the Oracle was an air-bearing linear tracker from Eminent Technologies. I still have the entire old Oracle-ET II rig packed away in a box with WISA pump, air storage tank, pressure gauge, etc. Ah, those were the days. Beautiful, tangible, easy to understand mechanical engineering.

TBone

Major Contributor
It's important to know what kind of plinth the OP has with his TT.
Without knowing that we are swimming in a vast ocean of record clamps and weights.

without any linking, please explain ... what is the relationship between the plinth (or sub-plinth?) and choosing a clamp?

North, honestly, I often wonder if you have a clue?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My ultimate tonearm on the Oracle was an air-bearing linear tracker from Eminent Technologies.
That was my ultimate dream table/LT tonearm but sadly way out of my financial wheel house to own.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
without any linking, please explain ... what is the relationship between the plinth (or sub-plinth?) and choosing a clamp?

North, honestly, I often wonder if you have a clue?
That's why he's on my Ignore list. ;)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I've said it in my first post.
Some turntables are recommended with a clamp, others not.
And the bullying with a negative attitude we could live without.
And you just above, get lost forever, don't even mention about me, forever, you got that!
Leave it all alone, ignore all you want and keep it to yourself in the abyss of darkness.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
TBone, you mentioned in an earlier post something in regard to warp vinyls.
Well, clamps do help them, as per the video I posted, and from experience.

Also, some posters gave a good suggestion in regard to clamps or weights that can stress the turntable motor, depending of the TT used. I agree.

I used a weight over a cork mat because I've seen some of my records slip.
I alternate between various mats...rubber, felt and cork, on various TTs, and the same with weights and clamps. I never measured, I go by ear. And sound wise it's not always easy to tell if a clamp help or not. I don't have that expertise, even with fifty years of turntabling experience...reconditioning, repairing, changing parts, making my own.
50/50 depending; that's my personal use of clamps and weights.
That's also why I asked what TT the OP is using.

I don't need to be criticised and negatively rejected like a piece of trash.
I contribute my part and I respect others, I expect the same. Talk about the post content, and not the poster. It takes two to tango, and tango I can dance too.

* The negative attitude leave it outside the door, it doesn't belong inside ASR.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
One man's view of negative attitude can be seen by another as an opportunity to listen-and-consider. The term 'negative attitude' is a cheap put-down usually used to avoid constructively addressing disagreement or criticism, whether valid or otherwise.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
TBone, you mentioned in an earlier post something in regard to warp vinyls.
Well, clamps do help them, as per the video I posted, and from experience.

Also, some posters gave a good suggestion in regard to clamps or weights that can stress the turntable motor, depending of the TT used. I agree.

I used a weight over a cork mat because I've seen some of my records slip.
I alternate between various mats...rubber, felt and cork, on various TTs, and the same with weights and clamps. I never measured, I go by ear. And sound wise it's not always easy to tell if a clamp help or not. I don't have that expertise, even with fifty years of turntabling experience...reconditioning, repairing, changing parts, making my own.
50/50 depending; that's my personal use of clamps and weights.
That's also why I asked what TT the OP is using.

I don't need to be criticised and negatively rejected like a piece of trash.
I contribute my part and I respect others, I expect the same. Talk about the post content, and not the poster. It takes two to tango, and tango I can dance too.

* The negative attitude leave it outside the door, it doesn't belong inside ASR.
I’d love to know more about your TT repairing and fabrication, making your own sounds intresting bob. Did you photo document any of that so we can share in your expirence?

Feel free to start a new thread, I was unaware you had that level of expertise.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
No Thomas, I did not document my audio experience with diy, fixes, repairs, fabrications, etc. We all have some abilities in our hobbies and passions. We love what we do and we respect others that do too. We all have something good to bring to the plate. Our deep passion brings us all together. I posted couple links about people making their own weights, clamps, ...that's the beauty in this hobby.
Sure like in the second post you can buy one already made for $3,500 and I respect people who do, it's their business to spend their money the way it makes them happy.

Some members posted links of clamps from $20 to $50. That's reasonable with turntables that cost between say $395 to $39,500.

The most expensive turntable that I am aware of is I believe $650,000 ... which is much less expensive than a Bugatti.

I do what I do, and clamps and weights I can comment from knowledge and experience, but not from absolute audio science. That, I leave it to the real experts, from who I can expand my knowledge.

The best thing I saw recently here @ ASR is the participation of Mr. Floyd Toole.
And the saddest thing was Arny's departure, learning it from Amir. RIP Arny, he is a great soul.
Other good news; Robert Zohn from New York, an insider on all things the best 4K TVs, 4K BR players, AV receivers, pre/pros, etc. Robert is one of the top contributors to our world of audio and video, a super swell guy with a heart of gold.
Also, I've seen new members with good spirit, and the return of some high audio forces.
I can tell you this; the force is not only present but it is also growing in harmony...slowly but solidly. ...The path to good living and wisdom in a world of music bliss, a big chunk of life because music is a human expression of emotional messages...the good messages not the violence of words and broken chords.

Back to clam...some people love clam chowder soup, I do, very much so.
Don't forget to watch that video on a warp vinyl and how the clamp fixes it, that's only one of the benefits of record clamps...improving stability.

It's a good subject, for all passionate people like us, analog lovers, like me too.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No Thomas, I did not document my audio experience with diy, fixes, repairs, fabrications, etc. We all have some abilities in our hobbies and passions. We love what we do and we respect others that do too. We all have something good to bring to the plate. Our deep passion brings us all together. I posted couple links about people making their own weights, clamps, ...that's the beauty in this hobby.
Sure like in the second post you can buy one already made for $3,500 and I respect people who do, it's their business to spend their money the way it makes them happy.

Some members posted links of clamps from $20 to $50. That's reasonable with turntables that cost between say $395 to $39,500.

The most expensive turntable that I am aware of is I believe $650,000 ... which is much less expensive than a Bugatti.

I do what I do, and clamps and weights I can comment from knowledge and experience, but not from absolute audio science. That, I leave it to the real experts, from who I can expand my knowledge.

The best thing I saw recently here @ ASR is the participation of Mr. Floyd Toole.
And the saddest thing was Arny's departure, learning it from Amir. RIP Arny, he is a great soul.
Other good news; Robert Zohn from New York, an insider on all things the best 4K TVs, 4K BR players, AV receivers, pre/pros, etc. Robert is one of the top contributors to our world of audio and video, a super swell guy with a heart of gold.
Also, I've seen new members with good spirit, and the return of some nigh audio forces.
I can tell you this; the force is not only with us but it is also growing in harmony...slowly but solidly.

Back to clam...some people love clam chowder soup, I do, very much so.
Don't forget to watch that video on a warp vinyl and how the clamp fixes it, that's only one of the benefits of record clamps...improving stability.

It's a good subject, for all passionate people like us, analog lovers, like me too.
I love clam chowder too, when I can find a good one.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Has anyone experienced CD warp, excluding mistreatment?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Has anyone experienced CD warp, excluding mistreatment?

Not that I know of.

One time though, while waiting with some people that were getting a family photograph at some department store, I liberated an AOL cd from the local rack, and was fooling around with it.

At some point I decided to try to see what it would take to break it, and eventually succeeded (they are pretty tough), it literally exploded and sent pieces flying all over the waiting area.

Rate that a "Don't try this at home".

I did accidentally break one once. Somehow I sheared the edge off of one when it got caught in the hinge of the jewel case. I doubt I could do that again.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
One man's view of negative attitude can be seen by another as an opportunity to listen-and-consider. The term 'negative attitude' is a cheap put-down usually used to avoid constructively addressing disagreement or criticism, whether valid or otherwise.

Psychoanalysis is for internet forums that are related to psychology and psychiatry, the study of human behavior, Freud and the gang. It has nothing to do with TT clamps.

Last edited:
OP
S

Spirit84

Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered a Michell clamp and should have it next week I hope.
BTW - my turntable is an oldie but a goodie:
Ariston RD11s

OP
S

Spirit84

Thank you so much NorthSky for the great info on my table! Boy, you must really scour the internet to come up with all that.
I assume that you are Canadian?

TBone

Major Contributor
my intro to hi-end vinyl included the RD11. Been a while since I worked on one though. I own that same papst motor, and its mounting assembly. It can be run in either AC or DC mode. Age takes its toll, you will eventually have to replace one specific capacitor ... it will certainly not perform to spec and it will eventually fail and perhaps smoke the entire board. This is common to this motor.

When I have time, and if you are interested, I can further post some relatively easy DIY maintainance items ... esp critical, re lubing its main bearing for max performance and longevity.

2 Q's ... what arm? and is the clamp you purchase a "weight" clamp or does it one that grips the spindal? The grip kind are far superior ... based on a function that is rarily if ever addressed.

tb1

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
my intro to hi-end vinyl included the RD11.
Amazing the long long road of development that little 1960 AR turntable took.
My first "real" table was a AR-XB purchased around 1975.
It's weakest link was that very crude tonearm.

Top Bottom