• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cute new schiit speaker amps

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to applaud the gall of a company selling a 2wpc "HiFi" power amplifier, but they are seriously very cute. I expect they will sell better than people would think, particularly to the desktop/mom's basement crowd.

And the performance in the crucial low level listening power area is pretty impressive- they should be virtually silent on a desktop, something larger, more capable amplifiers can't reliably achieve.

I really like the new Schiits, but if I want a truly miniature amplifier for my desk, I'll just pull out a real one like this:

From design POV I find my ex Technics SA-007 system even cuter, shouldn't have sold it...

Overseas

Major Contributor
Excuse me, but it seems very similar to LA90 that lists soooo many type of specs under various THD scenarios, if you want the best going down to very few watts. So Schiit is not that exotic.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Rekkr is actually what I've been looking for a couple years. I'm always curious what people use 100W/ch amplifiers at full power for...
5W is enough for you? 5W isn't enough for 99,9% of all commercial loudspeakers.

BlazeCC

5W is enough for you? 5W isn't enough for 99,9% of all commercial loudspeakers.
I'd guess it depends on your listening situation. I'm running a BT20A into Triangle BR03s from about .5m and only about 20% of the volume knob is remotely usable without having to walk away from my desk or wear earplugs.

charleski

Major Contributor
I have to applaud the gall of a company selling a 2wpc "HiFi" power amplifier
Screenshot 2023-02-24 104621.jpg

$8495

the-office-rainn-wilson.gif

The sad thing is I really didn't have to look too hard.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

JiiPee

I kind of like it. With right speakers, 2W pc is enough for many of us living in apartment buildings. Based on published APX-555 measurements the small amp performs well, so I don't consider the asking price excessive.

On the other hand, imo a better way of building a reasonably priced small desk top system is to use small active monitors instead of separate power amp plus passive speakers.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I kind of like it. With right speakers, 2W pc is enough for many of us living in apartment buildings. Based on published APX-555 measurements the small amp performs well, so I don't consider the asking price excessive.

On the other hand, imo a better way of building a reasonably priced small desk top system is to use small active monitors instead of separate power amp plus passive speakers.
Which leads to the question, what speaker would you pair with a 2W per channel amp in a small apartment (massive horns need not apply)?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Which leads to the question, what speaker would you pair with a 2W per channel amp in a small apartment (massive horns need not apply)?
As an example, with 3W at 4Ω, you can drive a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 to 92dB SPL Peak, or about 77dB Average with today's music.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
As an example, with 3W at 4Ω, you can drive a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 to 92dB SPL Peak, or about 77dB Average with today's music.
Which is not very loud. Its a little over background music level.

D

Deleted member 48726

It's more than 3x as loud as a normal conversation (60dB AVG).
Let's not get carried away with this. We listen to different kinds of music and if you want to have headroom for some music with (any kind of) bass, well you do not get by with this abysmal power unless nearfield listening.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'd been thinking that Schiit was missing the boat not offering any amps below the Vidar level. Had even posted as such on that Head-Fi thread. These will probably sell, but they don't really do that much for me. I know they have no love at all for Class D, never have and I expect never will. But these seem a little underpowered to me. Right now I'm using the Aiyima A04 and A07 amps interchangeably with a 32v/5a power supply and getting all the sound quality I need for my small workroom, using old-school ADS L420 speakers. For normal listening, even the gain-reduced A04 model is fine, and I hear no speaker hiss at all.

I think there is a spot in the market for a maker to make a high-quality class D amp like the A07 (good heat dispersion, good caps, real op-amps all certified components, onboard power (no brick) using the TPA 3255 chip. Like what SMSL is doing with their offerings but even simpler, just designed for reliability and simplicity.

I am tempted by their Vidar 2 for a future main living room purchase, but the price relative to a Buckeye Hypex amp with similar, even higher, power, makes that a hard purchase decision too.

I expect these will sell and find a place. Certainly it would be silly for Schiit to abandon their position and suddenly embrace Class D and try to compete with the overseas products. I doubt they could get enough market share to make that worthwhile in any way.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Let's not get carried away with this. We listen to different kinds of music and if you want to have headroom for some music with (any kind of) bass, well you do not get by with this abysmal power unless nearfield listening.
I'm just crunching some numbers to give perspective. Nothing more.

MyCuriosity

This looks like something that should cost 50% of what they are asking for it
That's great news. You can build on for yourself and I can definitely buy one made from them. Jokes aside, i think this is a very neat design, with small footprint and a reasonable price. Very attractive solution for a desktop environment. Any alternative (ready made and new) at this size, power and price?

Top Bottom