• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you normally have your music?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46664
  • Start date

How loud do you play your music?

• Strictly as background while I do other things (<50db)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Moderately loud so as not to disturb others (50 - 60db)

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Loud enough to take up my full attention (60 - 70db)

Votes: 61 32.4%
  • Loud enough to compete with other noises (70 - 80db)

Votes: 64 34.0%
  • I like it pretty darned loud (80 - 90db)

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • Just like in a concert hall (90 - 100db)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Does anyone know how to stop my ears from bleeding (100+ db)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 46664

My other poll question about Tinnitus and the surprising discovery that 80% of us seem to have it, got me wondering ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I play mine at 100% of the PC's volume control except for movies where I turn it down to about 1/2 the way to full. I can hear my headphones across the room clear as can be except the bass is non-existent. :D Maybe I need a more powerful amp.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
My other poll question about Tinnitus and the surprising discovery that 80% of us seem to have it, got me wondering ...

It's function of my mood, my state and the type of music.
So between 60 and 85 dba in average.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

A French survey has shown 75 % DJ aged of 26 years max have tinnitus.
They tried to do the same survey in the classical music : no response.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

I play mine at 100% of the PC's volume control except for movies where I turn it down to about 1/2 the way to full. I can hear my headphones across the room clear as can be except the bass is non-existent. :D Maybe I need a more powerful amp.

LOL ... maybe you need to change your vote to the "ear bleed" category .....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL ... maybe you need to change your vote to the "ear bleed" category .....
I find some audio tracks have reduced volume levels and need more power for those. I wish they could standardize the recording levels so this does not occur.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

I find some audio tracks have reduced volume levels and need more power for those. I wish they could standardize the recording levels so this does not occur.
You can!

There are a few ways to do it ...

I believe the FooBar player supports replay gain, which writes a tag into your music file telling the player how to adjust the volume to keep playback at an even loudness.

You can also use MP3Gain and AACGain to perminently "re-volume" the files themselves.

My music collection (6300 files) is almost entirely in MP3/320 and it's been normalized at -16lufs by MP3Gain, just like the streaming services. My movies (930 files) are all normalized at "max no clipping" levels by AACGain (much to my neighbour's chagrin)

I believe, but have not investigated, that similar softwares exist for AC3 and FLAC files as well.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can!

There are a few ways to do it ...

I believe the FooBar player supports replay gain, which writes a tag into your music file telling the player how to adjust the volume to keep playback at an even loudness.

You can also use MP3Gain and AACGain to perminently "re-volume" the files themselves.

My music collection (6300 files) is almost entirely in MP3/320 and it's been normalized at -16dbfs by MP3Gain, just like the streaming services. My movies (930 files) are all normalized at "max no clipping" levels by AACGain (much to my neighbour's chagrin)

I believe, but have not investigated, that similar softwares exist for AC3 and Flac files as well.
I stopped storing locally years ago after a catastrophe where I lost my music collection of ~34,000 music files, a bunch of movies and assorted video files. I just use YouTube now. :D YouTube audio levels are all over the place. :D

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

well sure, but presumably when you come across those tracks you turn the volume up a bit to what would basically be your "normal" listening level. You aren't turning those tracks up to a volume that's louder than what you normally listen at right? The question isn't asking what amplification level you normally use on your amp...it's asking what spl at the listening point.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
well sure, but presumably when you come across those tracks you turn the volume up a bit to what would basically be your "normal" listening level. You aren't turning those tracks up to a volume that's louder than what you normally listen at right? The question isn't asking what amplification level you normally use on your amp...it's asking what spl at the listening point.
I run my headphone volume for music listening at max 100% of the time. It's loud and can be heard across the room as if a transistor radio is playing. But for those tracks where the output is reduced I run out of headroom on the volume control.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

I stopped storing locally years ago after a catastrophe where I lost my music collection of ~34,000 music files, a bunch of movies and assorted video files. I just use YouTube now. :D YouTube audio levels are all over the place. :D

Ummmm .... ever heard of Backups? ;)

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I run my headphone volume for music listening at max 100% of the time. It's loud and can be heard across the room as if a transistor radio is playing. But for those tracks where the output is reduced I run out of headroom on the volume control.

OK, I get that...so then in order to answer the OP's query you could perhaps find a track that you would consider to be your normal listening volume and find some way to measure the spl from the headphone to get a DB reading.

I chose 70-80dbs n the poll, but that's from my living room speaker setup. Headphones I listen considerably louder...probably 90-100dbs.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Somewhere between 80dB and 90dB (Z weighted transient peak) with the occasional cranking of a track/passage I really like.

10dB DR/Crest factor would put me squarely into the 70-80dB average camp.

Background listening for extended periods can be 10dB lower.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

OK, I get that...so then in order to answer the OP's query you could perhaps find a track that you would consider to be your normal listening volume and find some way to measure the spl from the headphone to get a DB reading.

I don't think we need to get all technical ... just a "best estimate" should be fine.

As it turns out I do have an SPL meter ... but I wouldn't call that a necessity in answering the poll.

Steve Rogers

Surely the options here are not exclusive, i think i could tick every option except the last depending on mood, who else is in the room, day of week, neighbors, cats, etc etc....

Lsc

So when I am listening to music and pushing my system’s capabilities, I listen at volumes over 80dB. I usually goes between low 80s - low to mid 90s dB. I’ll turn things up for short bursts because I don’t want to lose my hearing.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

Surely the options here are not exclusive, i think i could tick every option except the last depending on mood, who else is in the room, day of week, neighbors, cats, etc etc....

The question was "How loud do you normally have your music". It's not science ... just pick one.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ummmm .... ever heard of Backups? ;)
I had a theft situation and lost all my pooder gear. :facepalm: Even the backup drive was taken. That's when I went online and subscribed to a online backup solution for some years. Now I just backup to a hardware encrypted thumb drive that I keep hidden and don't store music files.

Top Bottom