• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do schiit stacks make sense price wise?

alaios

So building a hifi chain for a first system to upgrade an all in one denon m41 system. The stack should include preamp, perhaps tone controls, dac and an amp.
Budget 1500 euros for all components.
Do schiit products make sense for their money?

What are your thoughts?

Godataloss

I don't see any Schiit amplifiers that are competitive price-wise. They are either underpowered or worse measuring then other amps at their pricepoint. I would get a Hypex amp and a there are several dacs that should tic all your other boxes. If you don't need an analog input, your budget should be fine.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Lots of AB integrated amps with preamp, tone controls, DAC and power amp functions. Like Yamaha, Rotel.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try a sack of schitt.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So building a hifi chain for a first system to upgrade an all in one denon m41 system. The stack should include preamp, perhaps tone controls, dac and an amp.
Budget 1500 euros for all components.
Do schiit products make sense for their money?

What are your thoughts?

Which speakers? Will you also be using headphones?

I've been happy with the Schiit I have. ;)

Here's a possibility if you want to use a mainly Schiit stack:

Amp - Fosi Audio V3 $89, good power, low price
Streamer - Wiim mini $99 or Wiim Pro $149
DAC - Schiit Modi $129
EQ - Schiit Lokius $299
Headphone amp - Schiit Midguard $219
Preamp - Schiit Saga+ $399 (optional)

If you don't want a separate DAC, you could use a Wiim Pro Plus as the streamer and DAC.

I have all of those except Modi+ instead of Modi and Saga S instead of Saga+. I think the ones I have were discontinued and replaced with those.

I'm using an Eversolo Dac Z8 instead of the Modi+ because I like the screen display on it, otherwise they sound the same. I was also using the Z8 as a headphone amp, but couldn't use the external EQ that way. The Signal path is I use is Wiim Pro Plus/CD transport/Chromebox into the Z8 DAC to Lokius EQ to Midguard all balanced for headphones, then RCA out to the Saga preamp.

Depending on the number of inputs you have, you can probably skip the Saga preamp. I use it because it has 5 sets of RCA inputs and two sets of RCA preamp outs (all being used, complicated setup for lots of options)

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another thought, you could use a Schiit Sys $49 passive preamp instead of the Saga to give you 2 selectable inputs and a volume control for the Fosi V3. I leave the Fosi V3 gain maxed out and control the volume with the preamp. The Saga has a nice remote control for input selection and volume control.

Edited to add: if you want a neater Schiit stack, use the Modius balanced DAC $229 instead of the Modi. It is the same size as the Lokius and Midguard.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stacking components has never been particularly attractive to me, but I think the M-41 would possibly work just fine as is as long as you like the speakers....but you don't mention speakers in your budget. I'd spend more on the speakers (and start with those), less on the stack.

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm pretty happy with my Schiit stack of asgard3/bifrost2. Of course I bought both of them 2nd hand. In my country to buy direct from Schiit and with the tax/postage, the price is more expensive than buying China brand audio gears. I don't look much on measurement comparisons but I think the Schiit's measurements' hold their own. Now, as far as sound goes, the Schiit gear that I have, I like what I'm hearing, better than any other China brand at the same price. I also have the magni+ and the modius but magni+ performance to me is the same as other China brand at its price and the modius is ok, just need to find its partner which is the magnius.

Top Bottom