• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp and speaker recommendations

BuckOff

Hi all
First post and very new to all of this. I've just recently acquired a Schiit Jotunheim 2 and a Modius E, with Ananda stealths, connected to a Pi running headless as my source.
Now, I'm sort of hooked :cool:, I'm wanting to purchase an amp and some speakers. My budget is about £800 and these will be for a small room. so preferably some small ish bookshelf ones.
Any help appreciated Kieron

Been looking at the Fosi Audio V3 or the AIYIMA A07 with Q Acoustics 3020i speakers or something of similar size, will that be a good starting point.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @BuckOff! Welcome to ASR.

I'd go with active monitors like the Kali LP-6v2, IN-5, or Genelec 8030C if the budget permits.

Compared to the 3020i, they will play deeper and with less coloration.

You can plug them directly into the Jotunheim's XLR Pre out and use its volume knob to control volume.

OP
B

BuckOff

Hi @BuckOff! Welcome to ASR.

I'd go with active monitors like the Kali LP-6v2, IN-5, or Genelec 8030C if the budget permits.

Compared to the 3020i, they will play deeper and with less coloration.

You can plug them directly into the Jotunheim's XLR Pre out and use its volume knob to control volume.
Thank you for the reply, as I'm pretty to new to the audio scene I'd never really heard of these active speakers, but the Genelec do look something that would suit my needs.
Are active speakers as good as the amp, speaker combo.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Since staticv3 beat me to the post, I’ll add the Genelecs he reco‘d paired with a sub are pretty close to end-game for many here. Sure, you can spend a lot more and there are definitely other options, but it’s a really nice place to start. I do not own Genelecs btw, so I’m not a fan boy trying to validate my purchase.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@BuckOff BTW, besides black, the 8030C is also available in white and bare aluminium, which might look a bit nicer in a regular listening room:
genelec_8030_c_test__020.jpg EVa62FBXkAA0DGP.jpg

OP
B

BuckOff

Thanks for the replies, looks like active is the way forward for me.
Thanks

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies, looks like active is the way forward for me.
Thanks
Add a sub and some room correction as budget allows and you will most certainly hear Vanilla Ice like you‘ve never heard him. :)

Chazz6

Active speakers need to master two skills: good amp design and manufacture, and good speaker design and manufacture. If you think your desire for good audio will evolve, keep that in mind.

Top Bottom