• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Anthem AVM90 is supposed to be HDMi 2.1 48GB
It would be nice to see confirmation of that. HDMI 2.1 was supposed to be 48gbps from the get go, but that still doesn’t account for every use case I’ve seen being limited to 40gbps. And then you have Analog Devices reportedly releasing the first 48gbps chipset sometime in Autumn 2022... I heard about it in November...
But no current production run likely implemented a chipset that was only "just released;" not unless they were in development together...
*shrugs

I'd love to know the answer. Has anybody done a full teardown or review of the AVM90?

Edit:

minus3dB

I'm in this boat too.
I'm waiting to upgrade for when the best iteration comes available. I still haven't even tried buying a PS5 yet... and don't even get me thinking about any new games from Bethesda and the need to likely have to get an Xbox just to sate me need to play Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

Yamaha is best poised to release a processor this year. Marantz and everybody else is already to market with partially baked HDMI chipsets on their digital boards. My biggest concern then is that it will be another 2-3 years before most of the AVPs see an update for fully baked HDMI 2.1. :(
Curious what the distinction is between half baked and fully baked HDMI chip sets.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I thought that "full fat" 48gbps chipsets were still unavailable, and that the best HDMI 2.1 chipsets were 40gbps?

minus3dB

What's up, Peng?! ;)

Other than Digital Processing and Amps... what other sources of heat are there in an AVR? Without the Amp Stage, the only real source of heat in a Processor should be the Digital Board?... but that should pale in comparison to the additional heat put out by 11 or 13 channels of Amps if I'm correct. What are your thoughts, please?

Don't mean to get too pedantic but the source of all the heat in an AVP is the AC power input. The easiest way to estimate how much heat an AVP dissipates is to measure how much power it draws and then subtract anything that exists the box in the form of any other kind of energy other than heat. So light from the display, mechanical energy from fans, and electrical energy from the active output ports. I suspect the light power lost is negligible, the mechanical power lost is zero if there are no fans, so all you have to do is estimate the net electrical power that exits via the active channels/connectors and subtract that from the input power. All of the other energy has to be converted to heat if there is no ability to store a significant amount of it.

A simplistic estimate of the power lost via the electrical connectors in use is (2 vrms **2)/R where R is the input impedance of the amplifier, multiplied by the number of output ports in use. In my case the input impedance to the amplifier is 20 kohms so that works out to abut 1.5 mw total out the 8 RCA ports in use. I'm not counting flow across HDMI ports as that comes in and goes out and it's constant envelope.

My Kill-a-Watt is reading around 58 watts that my AVP is drawing from the wall outlet. This is at quiescent conditions and not surprisingly does not vary significantly as I play different program material at different volumes. So basically, almost all of the energy coming in is converted to heat. In this case that is 58 watts = 58*3.41 = 198 BTU/Hr. It's possible there are modes of operation that produce more heat rejection, but among the few I checked there was little variance.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I thought that "full fat" 48gbps chipsets were still unavailable, and that the best HDMI 2.1 chipsets were 40gbps?
Analog Devices has one, sometime from the later half of 2022. See link I posted a few above.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
LG OLED TVs have HDMi 2.1 48Gbps
I don't recall where I saw it, but it has been suggested that TVs are a step ahead of where the AVR/AVPs are. Part of the argument was based on the fact they have less to do than the AVR/AVP is asked to.
Not being an expert on this ;) leaves me spouting hearsay, however.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looked on Crutchfield for the RZ50 specs and unfortunately it only supports 40 Gbps.

"HDMI 2.1: Featuring six rear-panel HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs, the Onkyo TX-RZ50 incorporates an advanced video section that features some of the latest HDMI 2.1 specifications; including support for 4K/120 and 8K/60Hz video pass-through (up to 40Gbps), HDCP 2.3 compatibility, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling. There is also a front-panel HDMI input that is HDMI 2.0 certified and supports up to 4K/60Hz."

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Just looked on Crutchfield for the RZ50 specs and unfortunately it only supports 40 Gbps.

"HDMI 2.1: Featuring six rear-panel HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs, the Onkyo TX-RZ50 incorporates an advanced video section that features some of the latest HDMI 2.1 specifications; including support for 4K/120 and 8K/60Hz video pass-through (up to 40Gbps), HDCP 2.3 compatibility, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling. There is also a front-panel HDMI input that is HDMI 2.0 certified and supports up to 4K/60Hz."
There was talk at the time it was released, that no chipsets were available for more than 40gbps....

That is almost 2 years ago now, so the situation may have changed - but the logistical crunch on chip manufacturing capacity may have impacted chips like these, that are inherently low margin (ie: low priority!)...

jruser

Someone at AVS tested the AVM90 with a recent RTX card and the AVM90 could only do 40gbps

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I couldn't find the answer for what 48gps gives you vs 40gps. Could someone share what the functional benefit is of 48 over 40?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
40gbps can pass 4k120 10-bit. 48 can pass 4k120 12-bit or 4k144 10-bit. Mostly not an issue with TVs available right now.
This is why AVRs all need to be upgradable. Video and audio specs move fast and none of us should be spending thousands on a piece of hardware and then be stuck when the next board comes out or file format comes out. At these prices people won't stick with a brand or spend less if they are worried about obsolescence. I am glad my Anthem was upgradable.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is why AVRs all need to be upgradable. Video and audio specs move fast and none of us should be spending thousands on a piece of hardware and then be stuck when the next board comes out or file format comes out. At these prices people won't stick with a brand or spend less if they are worried about obsolescence. I am glad my Anthem was upgradable.

Agreed, but not just AVRs, AV preamp/processors too, it seems that the HDMI board(s) are the one that can be designed to be upgradable by owners. It shouldn't cost much extra to have such board(s) to use removable connectors. The rest of it should just be updated via FW.

HiFi 5.2

Hi guys, I need some help I just received my AVM 70 and I cannot get the subwoofers to play with my main speakers. I have two REL HT/1205MK2 whatever I do, I cannot get them to play with my main speakers, which are Cabasse i02 the first question that I have is, how do I make my main speakers full range and how can I get the subwoofer to play the whole frequency range? I also have a REL T5i and when I connect the REL to my amplifier via the high level input than the main speakers and the REL five playing perfect but I cannot do the same with the 1205.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys, I need some help I just received my AVM 70 and I cannot get the subwoofers to play with my main speakers. I have two REL HT/1205MK2 whatever I do, I cannot get them to play with my main speakers, which are Cabasse i02 the first question that I have is, how do I make my main speakers full range and how can I get the subwoofer to play the whole frequency range? I also have a REL T5i and when I connect the REL to my amplifier via the high level input than the main speakers and the REL five playing perfect but I cannot do the same with the 1205.
Is recommend watching the Audio Advice YouTube video I posted in this thread. It talks about how to set up ARC Genesis and set it so your main speakers are full range.

Top Bottom