• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone interested in trying the new Chrome extension and updated firmware....

*** Note: The new firmware will not work with the older version of the Android app. So if you need this functionality, wait for the app to be updated ***

Instructions For Manual Chrome Add-in Install:

1. Download the ZIP file from the Google Drive link at the bottom of the Qudelix post: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTrsFRhZPqJWEDxQRzf_McaxYvnfdQd6/view
2. Unzip the file, preserving the folder structure (right click on file, select Extract All...)
3. In Chrome, click on the Extensions icon on the toolbar (jigsaw piece icon).
4. Click on 'Manage Extensions'
5. Enable 'Developer Mode' toggle in the top right of window.
6. Click on 'Load unpacked' button on the top left.
7. Browse to the unzipped folder and select 'build' folder then hit the Select Folder button to install.

You should see soemthing like this in your list of extensions...

1671544052976.png

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh, I just got this and already the first bummer: Very noticeable distortion with the LDAC codec on the left channel.
However I am 99% sure this is the phone's fault.
Setting the bluetooth audio bits per sample to 16 bits in developer settings solves the issue temporarily until the next bluetooth connection .
Come on!

Beyond that the sound quality is great and the PEQ/crossfeed combo is just delightful
Mine has some very odd bluetooth issues occasionally- rebooting device usually sorts but its infrequent and intermittent. May also be phone related of course. This is with LDAC too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(UK) - the Android app has updated in the Play store and the Chrome extension is updated too on auto updates.

Both of my 5k updated fine over USB.

04gto

(UK) - the Android app has updated in the Play store and the Chrome extension is updated too on auto updates.

Both of my 5k updated fine over USB.
I am on iOS so still waiting. I am sure it won't be long. Glad to see I am not the only person who thinks one Qudelix 5k is not enough :)

Last edited:

Phoney

I have a question about using this as a dac. In high gain it would output 2V, but from what I remember high gain just adds 6db to the maximum volume, meaning 6db above 0? So for it to output 2V single ended to a different amp, I would have to put the volume above 0, and that could slightly hurt the performance? If so, could it be an audible thing? I know the last question could be difficult to answer.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Sound was better with the new firmware ?
A change in sound is possible, depending on how exactly the new 'Distortion Compensation' feature is being implemented. We'd need measurements to know for sure.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't checked the app menu since the update. Where is this distortion compensation feature?

buz

Forum Donor
If you are a strong believer in a brand name even a new firmware will make the sound better. Remarkable.
Much bigger chance that firmware upgrade would change sound than cables, for one...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Fernando

Forum Donor
Hi,
I have connected it via USB to a Mac and to a PC and they detect it well, but I don't hear anything when I connect in headphone. What happen?

t$$

Hi,
I have connected it via USB to a Mac and to a PC and they detect it well, but I don't hear anything when I connect in headphone. What happen?
2 things I can think of:
  1. Maybe you are also connected to Bluetooth at a higher priority?
  2. Maybe you have balanced 2.5mm turned on but are connected to the single-ended 3.5mm jack (or vice versa)

Fernando

Forum Donor
2 things I can think of:
  1. Maybe you are also connected to Bluetooth at a higher priority?
  2. Maybe you have balanced 2.5mm turned on but are connected to the single-ended 3.5mm jack (or vice versa)
Yes, I take all of that into account.
It must be something else that escapes my reasoning.

Top Bottom