• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard R26 R2R DAC with roon

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No constant tick/click.
Stick to Red Book, hi-res sounds no different to me or my mates, all with highish end systems.
Sometimes a high res/DSD file will sound great but only because more was invested in the recording and mixing process.
After all most PC's/apps will happily upsample, does it sound different ?

migo77

I know this is not "major" problem here, but manufacturer declares support for MQA and HiRes and it is not working like it should. That is my point. :(

I've not heard any constant clicking from DAC only when changing inputs and powering on/off, how exactly should I reproduce it?

labeelen

Hi all,

Just received my new R26.
When I use the LAN input and the built in NAA in combination with HQPlayer I hear a soft noise at the beginning and end of every song. When I pause a song there is also a soft noise which automatically mutes after a few seconds.
When I stream directly from Roon I don’t hear this noise.

Does anyone have the same experience, is this a known issue and is there a fix ?

Hoochie

If you connect R16 over the network and right-click on the icon and select "properties", a window with the firmware number will pop up. The situation with stuttering in version 1.4, in my opinion, has improved. File 24/352.8 plays without artifacts. But according to USB I like the sound more

Hoochie

looks like this

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-15 175056.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-15 175056.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 381

BillyKueek

It's worth it, bud! The R26 sound incredible through speakers due to it's imaging, detail and wide sound stage.
Thank you for sharing. I am using headphones only at this moment. Also, haven’t figure out how to play Native DSD as I am using MacBook Pro.

labeelen

As a follow up on my previous post.

I am having a noise issue when playing upsampled DSD files (also via Roon) to R26.

Are there R26 users here that can perform a little test to see if they also hear the noise ?

The test goes as follows:
1. Download the following file (containing an inaudible 1k sine at -120dB):
2. Let Roon upsample it to DSD and stream it to R26
3. On R26 toggle Direct DSD = ON and OFF in the menu and listen if you hear a difference in the noise level (best using headphones)

Can anyone reproduce my findings on their R26 unit ?

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thank you for sharing. I am using headphones only at this moment. Also, haven’t figure out how to play Native DSD as I am using MacBook Pro.
Roon and a raspberry pi4 for example.
Mac os doesn't support native DSD. Only DSD over pcm (that's DSD128 in a pcm 384 container)

johnybear

I'm considering the Gustard (vs the Topping D90SE+Pre90), and I appreciated your thoughts on it. I've only just returned to the hifi world after a long hiatus. It was nice to see the endless arguments of "analog is better than digital" put to rest, but they seem to have been replaced with R2R vs Sigma-Delta. Oh well. I get the "measurements matter" argument. Snake oil is snake oil ($500 ethernet cables? Really?) But there's something a bit off about the application of these arguments to ladder DACs. Anyway, I'll hope you'll post an extended review. I assume you are not using a preamp. Is that right? The Gustard seems to have a really well-implemented output stage, and I'm hoping to skip the preamp if I go down this route. Cheers!
For what its worth I tried the preamp on the R26 and at maximum volume it did not reach my normal listening levels. I am also wondering if anybody has found a way to stop the standby button light from flashing all the time other than shutting down the power supply switch at the back. Cheers

ilan5555

Please keep us posted with your first impressions as I am also intending to buy one.
I have a R26 for some days with burning time of more than 50 hours.
I can say that it's very wide and detailed but connected to Denafrips Athena preamp and Thallo amplifier is unusable.
Extremely harsh, thin and I miss my old dac.
Maybe my R26 has a problem.
I need to return it.
I don't know if I will buy it in the future, maybe I will buy a SMSL.
Also the I2S is not PSAudio compatible and impossible to configure it as other dacs.

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have a R26 for some days with burning time of more than 50 hours.
I can say that it's very wide and detailed but connected to Denafrips Athena preamp and Thallo amplifier is unusable.
Extremely harsh, thin and I miss my old dac.
Maybe my R26 has a problem.
I need to return it.
I don't know if I will buy it in the future, maybe I will buy a SMSL.
Also the I2S is not PSAudio compatible and impossible to configure it as other dacs.
Just don't buy R2R crap :)

BillyKueek

I'm considering the Gustard (vs the Topping D90SE+Pre90), and I appreciated your thoughts on it. I've only just returned to the hifi world after a long hiatus. It was nice to see the endless arguments of "analog is better than digital" put to rest, but they seem to have been replaced with R2R vs Sigma-Delta. Oh well. I get the "measurements matter" argument. Snake oil is snake oil ($500 ethernet cables? Really?) But there's something a bit off about the application of these arguments to ladder DACs. Anyway, I'll hope you'll post an extended review. I assume you are not using a preamp. Is that right? The Gustard seems to have a really well-implemented output stage, and I'm hoping to skip the preamp if I go down this route. Cheers!
I had the Topping D90SE & A90 stack but I sold the D90SE. It is very clean and clear but it’s too bright for my liking, I found myself only using it with certain headphones and only listening for a short while. What happened was I wanted to hear the sounds of the different chips - ESS, AKM, Burr Browns and R2R. I’ve kept all except the Topping D90SE with ESS chips. Love the Burr Brown and iFi’s implementation of sound I have the Zen DAC V2 and the Gryphon which I as DAC connected to the A90 amp or my favorite amp iFi Pro iCAN Signature where I can select tube and tube, various options of XBass and 3D.

BillyKueek

Doing about 25 hours on the R26 now and am going to take time to read up this thread. I need to learn more about whether adding U18 justifies the price and how to use the LAN function since I’d read that it performs the best. I use Mac, connected a LAN cable and my MacBook Pro read it as Gustarender - 1v3 as Airplay. Do I need an app like Roon to use the LAN function?

duffer5

Doing about 25 hours on the R26 now and am going to take time to read up this thread. I need to learn more about whether adding U18 justifies the price and how to use the LAN function since I’d read that it performs the best. I use Mac, connected a LAN cable and my MacBook Pro read it as Gustarender - 1v3 as Airplay. Do I need an app like Roon to use the LAN function?
Yes, you need Roon or a like product to stream. There are a few android based apps that will accomplish similar if not the same results but you can use services like Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect etc. I would suggest to check out the long thread on Head-fi and do a search to narrow down your reading time. Also upgrade the firmware aka gustarender to 1.4 and the system software to 11-15/2022, go to post 2240 for the system firmware update the 1.4 update for gustarender is different and readily available via Gustard.

migo77

You don't need roon, you can use Amarra play or Audirvana. When you are able to modify linux inside R26, you can add Tidal connect too.

BillyKueek

You don't need roon, you can use Amarra play or Audirvana. When you are able to modify linux inside R26, you can add Tidal connect too.
Thank you! I’m a complete dummy with this on this, won’t dare to think about modifying inside the R26. I use Pine Player for my collection of DSD, FLAC and WAV music, have 15TB of it. Otherwise, I stream Apple Music. So after connecting a LAN cable to the R26, I purchase say Audirvana for my MacBook Pro and it’ll read as? Currently it’s Gustarender - 1x3 Airplay. Can you advise me if I should update the firmware? Also, how do I do that? I’d love to read to find out but this thread is now over 200 pages, it’s a full time job to read it lol…

BillyKueek

Yes, you need Roon or a like product to stream. There are a few android based apps that will accomplish similar if not the same results but you can use services like Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect etc. I would suggest to check out the long thread on Head-fi and do a search to narrow down your reading time. Also upgrade the firmware aka gustarender to 1.4 and the system software to 11-15/2022, go to post 2240 for the system firmware update the 1.4 update for gustarender is different and readily available via Gustard.
Doing the reading is a full time job now with hundreds of pages of postings. Thank you for your advises. I use a MacBook Pro, do I still need to update the firmware?

ilan5555

Just don't buy R2R crap :)
I received an open and used product and it seems OK for ShenzenAudio and Gustard...
Very strange company.
I did like that it was more open and detailed, much better than my SMSL M400.
I tested the Pontus II but it was too dry with lack of highs for me.
What do you suggest?

OP
S

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I received an open and used product and it seems OK for ShenzenAudio and Gustard...
Very strange company.
I did like that it was more open and detailed, much better than my SMSL M400.
I tested the Pontus II but it was too dry with lack of highs for me.
What do you suggest?
Ur Smsl M400 sounds just fine. If you want better sound use a equilizer and maybe HQPlayer for upsampling.

Top Bottom