• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DJSR’s post stated amplifiers, not NAP 250 specifically, you introduced that caveat and run with it. I posted a picture showing differences in casework flimsiness and you again ignored that. Enjoy your little fit of pique, you look fab!
How many other power amplifier cases NAIM had that looked different to the NAP250 at the era specified?

xaxxon

Because the ICEPower modules itself have much worse parameters than the Purifi. You cannot fix something that cannot be fixed.
But you could not make it.

Anyhow I was very specifically talking to the person who was implying that the peach tree was somehow a better amp.

uwotm8

Did you do your homework?
I think last time I did some homework was early 2000s. But I wish you good luck doing yours, kiddo;)
While I can agree that cheap aliexpress-grade box is acceptable in such economic case, I don't agree that it has to be bent and badly assembled.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well it is definitely not an aliexpress enclosure.

The company I use for manufacturing has better quality/nicer looking enclosures at a higher price but I'd rather not raise prices just for looks when a vast majority would rather pocket the savings.

uwotm8

it is definitely not an aliexpress
Maybe then... aliexpress one could be a bit better while still inexpensive:)
No offence btw. Aesthetics is a meaningful thing for me and quite oftenly I see things what makes product look like garage-made even if it's not

gad

Is there a measurement test to determine if this issue is audible?

gad-

Reactions: EJ3
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is this the "switching noise" that some people claim to be able to hear when the amplifier is idle and they put their ear directly up to their speaker's tweeter?

@restorer-john, any insights on this?
No. This would be a tick sound every 2 to 3 seconds. But levels are way too low to be audible.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Maybe then... aliexpress one could be a bit better while still inexpensive:)
Negative, unless they also offer all of the proper CNC, powder coating, and graphics screening as well in an economical price.

And no offense taken. From day one its been a non issue for the vast majority of my consumers. I've learned that some criticism/critiques are, to put it mildly, not worth the time.

Last edited:

xaxxon

I hope you dont. I was talking about cheap and bent box of this unit
This really doesn't seem like the forum to try to convince other people that they do or don't like the look of a product - that is something everyone can easily determine for themselves.

And if something isn't for you, that's ok. Get something that is. Not everyone is going to agree on what they want to pay for. It's great that people have options - not all of them have to be your or my cup of tea.

It's not like this is being hidden by the manufacturer and needs to be "exposed" or something. It's right there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No. This would be a tick sound every 2 to 3 seconds. But levels are way too low to be audible.

Your horizontal scale is showing around ~330mS between 'ticks'. I agree, it would likely be some type of micro housekeeping/monitoring.

1672007287943.png

PeteL

Major Contributor
I don't mind the criticism on looks. I've said and maintained from day one: if cosmetics are important to you, my offerings are not for you.

WAF is a priority for some. Same reason some people will pay x amount for a great looking sub vs. y amount for something like a PSA or Rythmik that performs just as good or better.
You are totally right, My comment was purely based on what I value and not a criticism on your choices. I personally am a sucker for great industrial design, in the end it may very well be the greatest differenciator... For me. Audible differences between well designed amps, within their capabilities where they behave linearly, are minimal at best, if not non existent. Ihave to admit tough that the »WAF » descriptor always sounded a bit sexist to me. As if men can’t appreciate great design.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ihave to admit tough that the »WAF » descriptor always sounded a bit sexist to me. As if men can’t appreciate great design.
That is a good point. I'd use AF for appeal factor but people my age or younger might mistake it for a more offensive acronym :D

Maybe I'll start a new trend with AA, aesthetic appeal (and those who also like a nice alcoholic beverage while enjoying their music can think we meant the other AA).

PeteL

Major Contributor
That is a good point. I'd use AF for appeal factor but people my age or younger might mistake it for a more offensive acronym :D

Maybe I'll start a new trend with AA, aesthetic appeal (and those who also like a nice alcoholic beverage while enjoying their music can think we meant the other AA).
lol

Reactions: EJ3
Top Bottom