• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY speaker cables with Neotech OCC solid core wire

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Since it makes no difference why don't you ask if you should get blue of red wires.
Depends on the style of music you prefer.... blue for Jazz, red for pop & rock....

If you are a classical fan you might need to get some green.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
As a phd in solid state physics and a former postdoc from the Materials Science and Metallurgy department of the #1 university in the world (on a good year :) )… I absolutely, authoritatively, and scientifically assure you that any (!!) difference between the two — ofc vs occ — for the speaker-cable application is the absolute and undisputable bullshit.

:)
I vote this as the “Do fancy/expensive cables make a difference?” Answer of the Year!

Davide

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But if I wanted to use the copper cables normally used for the electrical system of the house, is there any disadvantage or contraindication?
I have seen some that over time on the uncovered copper part have oxidized a lot...

Roland68

Major Contributor
But if I wanted to use the copper cables normally used for the electrical system of the house, is there any disadvantage or contraindication?
I have seen some that over time on the uncovered copper part have oxidized a lot...
How many speaker wires would you like to see that are oxidized? Even after months or years along the entire length under the insulation. With the usual transparent cables, however, this gives a nice greenish patina antique look.

Copper oxidizes in the air, that's just the way it is, but it also depends heavily on the environment.
You can only prevent this with good insulation or a protective coating (e.g. enamelled wire).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Were it me, I'd worry a lot more about the end connections oxidizing than the bulk of the wire. I use a copper crush washer and a ring tongue terminal wrenched onto an appropriate post. Alternately, Speakon connectors are nice.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
AC power cords, cables and wires are often used for loudspeaker cables. If the wire is clean when the connector is attached, then further oxidization is of no concern.
In fact Southwire brand Romex® is a great very inexpensive speaker cable. Use 14AWG 3 wire plus ground and wire it as a StarQuad. But it is stiff and ugly. It's only $40 for 25 feet (plus connectors) and wired StarQuad it's 11AWG.

Havocman

As a phd in solid state physics and a former postdoc from the Materials Science and Metallurgy department of the #1 university in the world (on a good year :) )… I absolutely, authoritatively, and scientifically assure you that any (!!) difference between the two — ofc vs occ — for the speaker-cable application is the absolute and undisputable bullshit.

:)
rock unfortunately you're full of BS there is a significant difference obviously you better go back to school because ofc cable has 1500 Crystal barriers per foot OCC has zero, one crystal is 125 M long so it's simple physics to know that the signal will flow much easier through a cable that doesn't have any barriers in it if you have a postdoctoral in metallurgy then I'm the Queen of England LOL

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
rock unfortunately you're full of BS there is a significant difference obviously you better go back to school because ofc cable has 1500 Crystal barriers per foot OCC has zero, one crystal is 125 M long so it's simple physics to know that the signal will flow much easier through a cable that doesn't have any barriers in it if you have a postdoctoral in metallurgy then I'm the Queen of England LOL

Have you been drinking again?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
rock unfortunately you're full of BS there is a significant difference obviously you better go back to school because ofc cable has 1500 Crystal barriers per foot OCC has zero, one crystal is 125 M long so it's simple physics to know that the signal will flow much easier through a cable that doesn't have any barriers in it if you have a postdoctoral in metallurgy
What physics is that? Can you please come up with an example, complete with the simple math? Also show us how this effects audible frequencies and with what magnitude? This should be really easy for you…

… thanks in advance your highness!

Beave

Major Contributor
BD Woody you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to wire, the best ofc wire has 40 to 50 Crystal barriers per foot which are little fractures in The wire that the electric flow has to jump across and when it does that you're shearing off harmonics, OCC single Crystal has no Crystal barriers in 125 m so the signal has no impediments to go across maybe you should do your research before you flap your gums because you have no idea what you're talking about and you can hear the difference it's like night and day. maybe your system isn't good enough to hear the difference LOL

Two months between these two posts. I guess the science of crystal barriers changed in that timeframe.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Maybe he believes this ad copy:
Their thinest cable is really thin. The thinnest on the market I have seem. Your USB C charger is even thicker. But you can't burn down their cable using direct from wall,16amp. This is the tech in the cable that never mention. Beside I like them. it is really neat to organised these cable. Siltech is the maker for these cable.

Beave

Major Contributor
BD Woody you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to wire, the best ofc wire has 40 to 50 Crystal barriers per foot which are little fractures in The wire that the electric flow has to jump across and when it does that you're shearing off harmonics, OCC single Crystal has no Crystal barriers in 125 m so the signal has no impediments to go across maybe you should do your research before you flap your gums because you have no idea what you're talking about and you can hear the difference it's like night and day. maybe your system isn't good enough to hear the difference LOL

Here's Havocman on Audiogon forums:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/monstrous-power-cables/post?postid=2400965#2400965

"you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, obviously you have a pretty crappy system because power cords do make a difference, before you flap your gums maybe you should do some research so you'll know what you're talking about because you don't have a clue."

Well, at least he's consistent! :facepalm:

Most of his recent posts there are about OCC cables - but not the flawed round wire. Now there's RECTANGULAR wire that lifts even more veils!

https://forum.audiogon.com/users/havocman/posts

Havocman

Here's Havocman on Audiogon forums:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/monstrous-power-cables/post?postid=2400965#2400965

"you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, obviously you have a pretty crappy system because power cords do make a difference, before you flap your gums maybe you should do some research so you'll know what you're talking about because you don't have a clue."

Well, at least he's consistent! :facepalm:

Most of his recent posts there are about OCC cables - but not the flawed round wire. Now there's RECTANGULAR wire that lifts even more veils!

https://forum.audiogon.com/users/havocman/posts
consistent and right man are you people ever uninformed. that's right maybe you should do some more research and find out some things the rectangular OCC is even better than the round OCC and if you don't know by now that single Crystal OCC wire is better than ofc then I guess you'll never know it amazes me how stupid and uninformed people really are in high-end audio makes me laugh and feel sorry. LOL!!!

Beave

Major Contributor
You forgot the LOL at the end!

Edit: He went back and edited his post to include the LOL. Thank goodness. I was beginning to worry.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
consistent and right man are you people ever uninformed. that's right maybe you should do some more research and find out some things the rectangular OCC is even better than the round OCC and if you don't know by now that single Crystal OCC wire is better than ofc then I guess you'll never know it amazes me how stupid and uninformed people really are in high-end audio makes me laugh and feel sorry. LOL!!!
We're still waiting for the science...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Mr "Woody"

Don't you know them electrons is carried by little elves singing the harmonics that only have little legs. Once they've jumped 20-30 crystal barriers per foot, their little legs get tired, and they no longer have the breath left to sing the harmonics.

You can clearly hear the harmonics replaced with little tiny wheezy elf breath noises. Oh, and they're breathing through veils too!!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!!!!!!!

Which has absolutely the exact same accuracy as the quoted post.

Top Bottom