• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One last comment. I hope you have a running backup on the external drive.

Oh, several back ups. I work in post production sound, so I'm used to having lots of redundancy. (Carbon Copy running back-ups, also stored copies in different locations, etc).

But my knowledge is very specific for my gig, for my tools. Consumer audio streaming server set ups are a different rabbit hole. I become a spaz when it comes to that stuff.

Well 2 comments. Try running a headless Plex server on the PI. With Plex you can stream with AirPlay as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. But the very phrase "headless Plex server," sends shivers down my spine. It's the type of stuff I want to avoid :)
When it comes to my level of interest in my digital server, I need apple-like "done for you stuff" as much as possible. That's why I'm not going to be super picky about the app (I hope). Nonetheless, if the Bluesound doesn't work out, I will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bluesound hardware is fantastic and hardware and connectivity glitches are fixed quickly with updates. The UI is is functional especially when you mix music from different streaming services and your own NAS or computer all on one dashboard. Also internet radio is easy. The UI features are rarely updated to keep up with outside services despite constant complaints by users. I'm beginning to to think that the settlement Sonos is hamstringing Bluesound or something weird like that, just a guess because things that many users want, available on other platforms, are rarely addressed. Read for yourself.
Did you read the review at the start of this thread? The hardware appears to almost as bad as the app.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, several back ups. I work in post production sound, so I'm used to having lots of redundancy. (Carbon Copy running back-ups, also stored copies in different locations, etc).

But my knowledge is very specific for my gig, for my tools. Consumer audio streaming server set ups are a different rabbit hole. I become a spaz when it comes to that stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. But the very phrase "headless Plex server," sends shivers down my spine. It's the type of stuff I want to avoid :)
When it comes to my level of interest in my digital server, I need apple-like "done for you stuff" as much as possible. That's why I'm not going to be super picky about the app (I hope). Nonetheless, if the Bluesound doesn't work out, I will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks!
I have the same feeling when I sit down in front of a Windows computer.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Well I just ordered a Bluesound Node 2i.

Before I read this review :)

I'd been pulling my hair out for a long time trying to trouble shoot problems with my Logitech/raspberry pi server and have finally given in. Sick of dealing with discontinued stuff. A pal mentioned the Bluesound Node, quick research, ordered.

Having only scanned part of the responses, I'm hoping I'll be fine. Hopefully the app will work reliably as it has for some in the thread. And I'm feeding the output to an outboard DAC: my Benchmark DAC2L. So I'm presuming I will hear no difference in quality vs my raspberry pi (which would be a good thing).

I could feed the Benchmark DAC via the Bluesound Node's USB, Coaxial or Optical outputs. Any reason to prefer one output over the other?

FWIW only the latest Node (N130) has USB in/out. Previous generations, including the 2i, have only USB-in for hard drives and USB sticks. I have the N130 feeding an SMSL DO100 via USB and it works flawlessly.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bluesound hardware is fantastic and hardware and connectivity glitches are fixed quickly with updates. The UI is is functional especially when you mix music from different streaming services and your own NAS or computer all on one dashboard. Also internet radio is easy. The UI features are rarely updated to keep up with outside services despite constant complaints by users. I'm beginning to to think that the settlement Sonos is hamstringing Bluesound or something weird like that, just a guess because things that many users want, available on other platforms, are rarely addressed. Read for yourself.

Thanks for that heads up. I'm thinking my use won't be as intensive and picky as some here. I'm not even interested in Roon, for instance. If I can just stream my ripped stuff/Tidal/Apple music, some stations, I'm good.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW only the latest Node (N130) has USB in/out. Previous generations, including the 2i, have only USB-in for hard drives and USB sticks. I have the N130 feeding an SMSL DO100 via USB and it works flawlessly.

Oh really? Thanks. That's weird. The photo I see on amazon of the Bluesound NODE 2i shows the USB input under the LAN, but another USB in/out right beside that.

In any case, as long as I can run optical to my DAC and coax digital to my AV receiver I'm good.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Oh really? Thanks. That's weird. The photo I see on amazon of the Bluesound NODE 2i shows the USB input under the LAN, but another USB in/out right beside that.

In any case, as long as I can run optical to my DAC and coax digital to my AV receiver I'm good.

I believe the other port (mini) is for servicing the unit.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use coax to a Topping E30 sounds great. One USB port is for service.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I would like to do be able to playback from my computer with JRMC into more than one DAC. Wavelength DAC is USB B input and I believe most DACs use SPDIF or USB. What switches and cables would I need to have two set-ups. 1) computer JRMC playback that went from computer into two DACS, which then go into a single amp. (Don't have a SPDIF out on my computer, only USB.) 2) A streamer that goes into two DACs and from the two DACS into a single amp. Input to amps would be by RCA inputs. I need to be able to switch so I can pick which DAC computer or streamer signal is sent.

A simple USB-SPDIF converter would do the trick. Assuming you have a free USB port to use:

1. computer - JRMC > USB > Cosecant > GSi75
2. computer - JRMC > USB > USB-SPDIF converter of choice > coax > GSi75

ivayvr

"Did you read the review at the start of this thread? The hardware appears to almost as bad as the app."
Do I sense a slight bias, even obsession, here?
If Matt read the whole review and the thread he would easily find that most users are perfectly happy with the performance of both the hardware and the app.
If he did some research beyond this thread, he would have found the Bluesound won the EISA best Digital Music Player 2021/22 award. He would also find that some reputable Brands (Dali) are licensing the BlueOS for their active speakers. I guess they are not doing that because the BlueOS it is so, so bad.
There is no doubt that there are streamers with better DAC and much better S/N and they cost 3 to 13 times more.
I don't understand how hard it is to accept that some people simply don't feel like messing with multiple power supplies, wifi dongles, cables....

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Did you read the review at the start of this thread? The hardware appears to almost as bad as the app."
Do I sense a slight bias, even obsession, here?
If Matt read the whole review and the thread he would easily find that most users are perfectly happy with the performance of both the hardware and the app.
If he did some research beyond this thread, he would have found the Bluesound won the EISA best Digital Music Player 2021/22 award. He would also find that some reputable Brands (Dali) are licensing the BlueOS for their active speakers. I guess they are not doing that because the BlueOS it is so, so bad.
There is no doubt that there are streamers with better DAC and much better S/N and they cost 3 to 13 times more.
I don't understand how hard it is to accept that some people simply don't feel like messing with multiple power supplies, wifi dongles, cables....
Amen, own one then critique it. Yes its more expensive than a Pi-ject and Mini Streamer and it does have its flaws, but owners are posting about a lot of niggling issues on those other two. But for the "I have a lot of sources of music" and don't want to play around setting it up crowd, its hard to beat. That said, seems like the WiiM Mini Streamer is getting very close, very fast, for much less coin, especially if one counts the cost of multi-room setups. Bluesound was the best feature packed, no fuss option 4-5 years ago.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, clearly I was confused. But I don't think it's my fault: Bluesound's model numbers are damned confusing!

I thought in buying the NODE 2i I was buying the latest version. But no...apparently that's just called the Bluesound NODE? I'd read that you had to get the 2i to make sure you can use airplay. On amazon the notes for the NODE 21 say alexa/siri ready, but don't mention anything like that for the "new" NODE. But apparently the new NODE can also use airplay and siri?

So the new one has the HDMI out, and a bigger touchscreen, and a better DAC.

Ok, I won't be using the Bluesound DAC. But I'm wondering if there's any reason to get the newer NODE over the 2i?

I believe someone mentioned the newer NODE has a better processor, for possibly quicker performance/less lag when using it?

12Many

Ok, clearly I was confused. But I don't think it's my fault: Bluesound's model numbers are damned confusing!

I thought in buying the NODE 2i I was buying the latest version. But no...apparently that's just called the Bluesound NODE? I'd read that you had to get the 2i to make sure you can use airplay. On amazon the notes for the NODE 21 say alexa/siri ready, but don't mention anything like that for the "new" NODE. But apparently the new NODE can also use airplay and siri?

So the new one has the HDMI out, and a bigger touchscreen, and a better DAC.

Ok, I won't be using the Bluesound DAC. But I'm wondering if there's any reason to get the newer NODE over the 2i?

I believe someone mentioned the newer NODE has a better processor, for possibly quicker performance/less lag when using it?
It is my understanding that the DAC is the same, at least it tested the same - not so great. The big improvement in the latest Node is that the USB port now functions as a digital input. This can not be done with the 2i. I don't understand the need for an HDMI input or how that would fit into music listening.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I actually ended up ordering the newer NODE which will arrive tomorrow. Figured I may as well get the most up to date one.

I'd like it to just send out the unmolested bitstream to my Benchmark DAC. Are there any settings I have to check to ensure the Bluesound NODE isn't altering the digital signal out to the DAC?

I'd use my pre-amp for adjusting volume generally. Though sometimes I may use the volume control on the iphone app as I do currently with the iPeng raspberry Pi. As I understand it, when using the iphone app, as long as I would adjust the volume back up to 100 % that would be sending out the pure bitstream.

iLoveCats

I recently did a complete break away from Bluesound and went raspberry pi and Volumio into a topping D90se. It's not even a fair fight. Same functionality as Bluesound for me (Tidal MQA and a few streaming radio stations), in Volumio. Far better sounding overall. Like it's not even close. I couldn't ever tell the difference between my Bluesound gear and simple Chromecast Audio 's. I had already put $3000 into Bluesound. A NAD M10 and Node 2i, so I just kept using it, I sold the Node 2i and just used a Chromecast and a Topping E30, sounded the same. I used the M10 until it quit, less than 1 month out of warranty and NAD won't fix it. My hand was forced to do something else as I used the M10 daily. I would recommend simple Chromecast Audio's or Raspberry Pi's every single time over Bluesound.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently did a complete break away from Bluesound and went raspberry pi and Volumio into a topping D90se. It's not even a fair fight. Same functionality as Bluesound for me (Tidal MQA and a few streaming radio stations), in Volumio. Far better sounding overall. Like it's not even close.

Did you try the Topping DAC with the Bluesound as well?

If so, there shouldn't have been any difference to the sound quality vs the Raspberry pi. If not, I wonder why not? (There was no sonic difference when I used my Raspberry Pi or Apple Itunes in to my Benchmark DAC, as one would expect).

I'm surprised that more people don't see the Bluesound as a server in to their outboard DAC. That strikes me almost immediately as the way many audiophiles would use it. But I guess Bluesound is out to appeal to more "one box solution" seekers, and so people are actually using the DAC in the Bluesound.

iLoveCats

Did you try the Topping DAC with the Bluesound as well?
I didn't have them at the same time. I did run the Bluesound into a Rotel Integrated optical in and just left it that way until I sold both of them. The Rotel had a burr brown DAC and was just different, I wouldn't consider it great, just less dreadful than the node 2i. A node with a USB out to a DAC would be ok, but thats a recent development. Raspberry Pi is really cheap and does the same thing with a little software and there's other software options.

ivayvr

" I don't understand the need for an HDMI input or how that would fit into music listening."

The HDMI would allow you to use your audio speakers for the TV sound reproduction instead of using a separate sound bar for that function.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't have them at the same time. I did run the Bluesound into a Rotel Integrated optical in and just left it that way until I sold both of them. The Rotel had a burr brown DAC and was just different, I wouldn't consider it great, just less dreadful than the node 2i. A node with a USB out to a DAC would be ok, but thats a recent development. Raspberry Pi is really cheap and does the same thing with a little software and there's other software options.

Yeah, I've had just the opposite path: As I've mentioned, I've been using the Logitech/Raspberry Pi platform for my server for years, and got fed up with all the trouble-shooting and problems, some of which I couldn't solve. So I'm running to what I hope is a more reliable solution to streaming what I want via the Bluesound. And since I'm using an outboard DAC, sound quality issues with the Bluesound DAC are neither here nor there.

Top Bottom