• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, it has a history of failures and very poor customer service for backup to fall back on.
I'm looking for some good performance and value here. Any recommendations? I just moved after some crazy personal life stuff, and rented an apartment I can't afford, but want to build a small mix/mastering room in my new place, and need something decent. Class D is fine.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for some good performance and value here. Any recommendations? I just moved after some crazy personal life stuff, and rented an apartment I can't afford, but want to build a small mix/mastering room in my new place, and need something decent. Class D is fine.
What is your budget like? Any special speakers you have in mind? How big is the room?

staticV3

Master Contributor

xaxxon

This should be reliable:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...wer-amplifier-ncore-2x125w-4-ohm-p-14516.html

Also available with RCA inputs for the same price
assuming the XLR version is actually balanced (vs just a built-in "adapter") why would you ever get the RCA version? You can just get an adapter for rca=>xlr but you can't go the other way without losing the benefit of XLR.

Of course if they're both the same price it's probably just a 'for show' XLR as a fully balanced system should cost more.

Toku

Major Contributor
Has PA5 got short circuit protection?
There is no function in the body of PA5. Since the short circuit protection function is usually equipped on the power supply side, the power adapter has that function.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no function in the body of PA5. Since the short circuit protection function is usually equipped on the power supply side, the power adapter has that function.
Do we know what IC is being used for audio amplification? It might be integrated in the amp IC.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is your budget like? Any special speakers you have in mind? How big is the room?
$500 or less. My speakers are robbon nearfields from SLS. The SLS S8R which are still made by another manufacturer and they're active now.

Toku

Major Contributor
Do we know what IC is being used for audio amplification? It might be integrated in the amp IC.
The speaker output short circuit protection is in the TPA3251 chip. That's overload protection.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This maybe? Same modules but 25% more expensive
VTV works out to be ~$539 shipping unknown.
Ima check Buckeye Amps and see if he offers anything.
Offering the:

Hypex NC252MP for $579.00 shipping included I think it is.​

zzzz vtv.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
erm... The Buckeye Amps offers double the power output.
That's 50% more money for power that's useless anyway in Nearfield and higher noise that comes with it.

Edit: Nvm about the noise, both modules are specced at 30μV noise floor

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's 50% more money for power that's useless anyway in Nearfield and higher noise that comes with it.
I'm not up to date on the currency exchange rate and shipping expenses from France to the USA but it has to approach the expense of a VTV or a Buckeye Amps unit. (?) :D Shipping from France is not included. I checked at the web page.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ricardus if you spend less than the ~$579 including shipping for a Buckeye Amps unit your going to be in cheapo and possibly cheesy territory. There's always a integrated amp in a Yamaha.

Top Bottom