• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG 371, disappointing; alternatives

OP
M

marklings

If you want to be able to hear soundstage, don't go for the Sennheiser HD-25. I like the tonal balance and they are fairly sensitive, but when it comes to the soundstage it's almost non-existent.
Ok tx for the sensible advice

Phoney

I was being sarcastic (-> "/S"). It's absurd that Yamaha won't give you basic performance metrics of their $2000 instrument. They need some ASR and more demanding customers.

Im not sure if any digital piano gives you the performance metrics of the headphone output, which is quite annoying. I had the same problem with Roland. Im sure the headphone output has high output impedance, but no clue how much. Amir needs to measure them. Any shippers? /S

I use Topping NX7 with my DT770 Pro 80 ohms. The issue of the outputs seem to be high output impedance on top of low power. You want a low impedance headphone because of low power, but high output impedance ruins it. I don't think my Roland gives my NX7 max power, but it's enough for my DT770 in high gain. I wish I could use an external dac with my Roland FP30X, but it's not possible. In that case I could've just used a dongle.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why not get in there and either fix the onboard HPA or tap in a feed in order to use an external HPA?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Or just use an active headphone (Bose QC35, WH1000X) as they have a headphone amp inside !
These are high impedance (when active) and are designed to work on low output power devices (phones) and you get BT and NC cancelling feature as well.
Both are bass/warm sounding as well.

OP
M

marklings

Thanks for the suggestion but, well, I don't like Bose (as many) and I don't like BT. Best option remains an external AMP. I have an SMSL headphone amp (no DAC, just amp) that powers really well a hard to power Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. Got it for like 100 bucks and it's just great. I could get me a second one.

Phoney

Thanks for the suggestion but, well, I don't like Bose (as many) and I don't like BT. Best option remains an external AMP. I have an SMSL headphone amp (no DAC, just amp) that powers really well a hard to power Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. Got it for like 100 bucks and it's just great. I could get me a second one.

Did you try the amp on the piano? I suggest that you test it before buying another, just in case.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion but, well, I don't like Bose (as many)
There are many other brands like Bowers&Wilkins, Sony, B&O, JBL, ... that offer Bluetooth headphones with the ability to use a wire for analog input.
and I don't like BT.
but you wouldn't be using BT. You would connect your piano's line out or headphone out to the line in of these active headphones and let the internal amp of the headphones do its job.

The ideal headphone for your piano would be high impedance, high sensitivity and bluetooth headphones with an analog input are just that.
The most sensitive of the bunch (afaik) is the B&W PX at 124.5dB/Vrms and 678Ω input impedance.

Geert

Major Contributor
I am considering Senns HD 25.

HD 25 on digital piano, been there done that. Sounds absolutely crap, and that's an understatement.

I now use a BeyerDynamic DT 700 Pro X on my digital piano. Sounds great and lots of volume in reserve. Before I used my HD 600 on this piano and even with the volume control completely open I couldn't get a decent volume out of it. The DT 700 also sounds more engaging without EQ.

The DT 700 Pro X has a sensitivity of 117dB/V and an impedance of 48 Ω versus 114dB/V 32 Ohm for the AKG 371, so it's a bit louder and easier to drive. For me the bass is perfectly OK, but it is weaker than that of the AKG. However, if the amp of the piano is the limiting factor for the bass the DT 700 might actually do fine. Try before you buy ...

OP
M

marklings

There are many other brands like Bowers&Wilkins, Sony, B&O, JBL, ... that offer Bluetooth headphones with the ability to use a wire for analog input.

but you wouldn't be using BT. You would connect your piano's line out or headphone out to the line in of these active headphones and let the internal amp of the headphones do its job.

The ideal headphone for your piano would be high impedance, high sensitivity and bluetooth headphones with an analog input are just that.
The most sensitive of the bunch (afaik) is the B&W PX at 124.5dB/Vrms and 678Ω input impedance.
Well they all have an internal amp, don't they ? In which case sensitivity becomes irrelevant. My experience with BT cans used with analog input is very bad for whatever reason. I am talking Audeze Mobius, great on BT and USB, very poor on analog . . .

OP
M

marklings

HD 25 on digital piano, been there done that. Sounds absolutely crap, and that's an understatement.

I now use a BeyerDynamic DT 700 Pro X on my digital piano. Sounds great and lots of volume in reserve. Before I used my HD 600 on this piano and even with the volume control completely open I couldn't get a decent volume out of it. The DT 700 also sounds more engaging without EQ.

The DT 700 Pro X has a sensitivity of 117dB/V and an impedance of 48 Ω versus 114dB/V 32 Ohm for the AKG 371, so it's a bit louder and easier to drive. For me the bass is perfectly OK, but it is weaker than that of the AKG. However, if the amp of the piano is the limiting factor for the bass the DT 700 might actually do fine. Try before you buy ...
Useful suggestion thanks. I tried to drive my BeyerD 990 pro and didn't get anywhere. Do the DT 700 behave much better as far as you know? BTW I totally love the Beyer sound . . .

OP
M

marklings

Useful suggestion thanks. I tried to drive my BeyerD 990 pro and didn't get anywhere. Do the DT 700 behave much better as far as you know? BTW I totally love the Beyer sound . . .
Checking sensitivity on my 990 Pro, slightly over 90 . . . So the 700 pro could really be a solution . . .

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I need a pair of cans very sensitive. I want them to be driven from a Digital Piano and I don't want the additional annoyance of a separate head amp. After having read amirm's great review of AKG 371 and how they are supposed to be in the highest sensitive tier, I ordered from Amazon. I wanted to upgrade from a very old Senns HD280 Pro that I used for the purpose.

Turns out the volume is not as strong as the Senns. I need to crank up the DP volume at max to get a mid level volume pressure. Also the sound signature is disappointing. Bass is feeble and staging no more than average.

All this is kind of surprising to me as I trust Amirm's judgment and was never disappointed before.

Anyhow I am returning those and look for alternative. Good / great quality and high sensitivity are my key factors. I am considering Senns HD 25. I can stretch my budget up to 300.

Comments, suggestions ?

Thanks
I have no problem with a K371 and a Tone2 Pro which is not supposed to have a lot of power as headphones amp, I never need to turn the volume to the max, so it's more a specific problem with the piano output.
And like said, you might need headphones that are not "flat" but more "detailed" for your instrument

OP
M

marklings

Checking sensitivity on my 990 Pro, slightly over 90 . . . So the 700 pro could really be a solution . . .
BTW amazon lists the 700 45 Ohms model for 240 (ouch!). They also list a 770 model, cheaper. Do you know the difference ? Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Plcamp

My AKG 550’s need some work (or replacement) because every piece of plastic on them has become sticky.

Very annoying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 54

tomtoo

Major Contributor
But it's wrong. One important use case for a DP is silent practice in your home. I know for a fact most of the amateur pianists have this arrangement

Yes, but its still a stepchield. They not think lets build a great headphone amp in it. They think lets build a headphone amp in it. Good enough for silent practice.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
BTW amazon lists the 700 45 Ohms model for 240 (ouch!). They also list a 770 model, cheaper. Do you know the difference ? Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

DT770 has more bass, which you might prefer, but also has the famous BeyerDynamics ear piercing 9kHz peak (which some people have a serious issue with, although it's probably less of a problem on piano).

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
well, I don't like Bose (as many) and I don't like BT.
I hate everything Bose but have to admit their headphones ain't that bad.
I also never use BT. The devices I mentioned can be used wired so.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I need a pair of cans very sensitive. I want them to be driven from a Digital Piano and I don't want the additional annoyance of a separate head amp. After having read amirm's great review of AKG 371 and how they are supposed to be in the highest sensitive tier, I ordered from Amazon. I wanted to upgrade from a very old Senns HD280 Pro that I used for the purpose.

Turns out the volume is not as strong as the Senns. I need to crank up the DP volume at max to get a mid level volume pressure. Also the sound signature is disappointing. Bass is feeble and staging no more than average.

All this is kind of surprising to me as I trust Amirm's judgment and was never disappointed before.

Anyhow I am returning those and look for alternative. Good / great quality and high sensitivity are my key factors. I am considering Senns HD 25. I can stretch my budget up to 300.

Comments, suggestions ?

Thanks
I’ve got an old Yamaha YPG-625 keyboard. The Superlux HD-681 headphones ($40 on Amazon) work great with it. Turning the volume most but not all of the way up about matches the volume of my Yamaha upright piano (right next to the keyboard at 90 degrees). Don’t let the price fool you—the 681s have a very pleasing, relatively accurate full-range sound. It suits the keyboard really well. It has a lightweight long straight cord that is very well-suited to the purpose, being unobtrusive for practice sessions, and the headphones are lightweight and comfortable. I personally wouldn’t get too hung up on the last ounce of accuracy for practicing on a keyboard, other things are more important, IMHO. They most likely will sound way way better than your digital piano’s built-in speakers anyway. They’re a little flimsy, I’m on my second pair after about ten years, but at $40 you can cope with that.

I’ve also got a pair of Sony MDR-V6s that go a little louder on the Yamaha, but they are brighter sounding and less comfortable. But they’ll do in a pinch.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom