• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO BTR7 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this portable DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is that balanced out for headphone use only or could it be used with breakout adapter to xlr and use powered speakers?
Sure, you can use any headphone out as a line out (reverse doesn't work out as well).

Lukino

Thank you Amir for the good work. The measurements help us a lot in the selection. Even though some of us like dirty plates, we always realize that we want to eat from a clean plate.;)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Amazing you can get that quality, with a screen, for that price.
Actually you can get more and for rather some time in form of full blown DAP and with rather similar performance and better software for the same price (HiBy R3Pro CS43131 version for example).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm. Why don't you measure (or take from specs) the weight for portable devices?

Great review!
You don't need me for that. Company specs are there and others who own product can chime in.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need me for that. Company specs are there and others who own product can chime in.
I see... I was sure you were measuring weight of headphones and thought it could make sense for portables too. My mistake, seems that this memory was from another folk's site focused on headphones and lazy people ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
Sure, you can use any headphone out as a line out (reverse doesn't work out as well).
4.4mm maybe. But 2.5mm balanced can give problems because of the lacking ground return path. @IVX's 9038S for example should not be used as a line out, could kill the dongle in unfortunate situations.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
what is a low jitter battery?
The battery circuit does effectively have an SMPS in order to convert from the cell voltage to the device operating voltage. It wouldn't be totally unexpected if someone tried to mod these to provide "cleaner" power.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I see... I was sure you were measuring weight of headphones and thought it could make sense for portables too. My mistake, seems that this memory was from another folk's site focused on headphones and lazy people ;)
Well, I stopped measuring headphone weight for the same reason. :) It was extra work and redundant.

My value to you all is in unique work I do such as using an audio analyzer. For stuff that you all can do, I prefer that I don't get into and save the resource to test more gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
4.4mm maybe. But 2.5mm balanced can give problems because of the lacking ground return path. @IVX's 9038S for example should not be used as a line out, could kill the dongle in unfortunate situations.
I am assuming if balanced out is used, then it will be for balanced connection to the target device. That issue only occurs if you take balanced to unbalanced/RCA.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I stopped measuring headphone weight for the same reason. :) It was extra work and redundant.

My value to you all is in unique work I do such as using an audio analyzer. For stuff that you all can do, I prefer that I don't get into and save the resource to test more gear.
Makes sense. :)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which one would be a better match for the Aeon 2’s? G5 or BTR7 (only going to use the SE output)? I love the power of the G5 but Fiio has a lot more experience on the firmware / software side that make me a bit gunshy on the G5.
G5 easily. I have the NX7 which is even more powerful and it’s barely enough to power them

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feels like Fiio have aimed squarely for portable use here and and made the compromises in the right places, ending up with 'absolutely good enough' for most headphone use cases (is anyone really going to use a stealth or heddphone by the pool?!) but bringing eq and a lightweight form factor which matter far than more than the last 20db of sinad when it comes to real world portable use.

TabCam

I think the Fiio is an unnecessarily large device just for iems. An Apple dongle can power most iems already.

The BTR7 is perfect for headphones that need more power than a normal dongle can provide.
For power hungry planars I would definitely get the Topping. My Topping NX7 is the only portable device that is capable of powering my Aeon Noires
The ddHifi TC44 drives my Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 very well. I have to lower from the maximum so it is both capable, noise & distortion free and small

TabCam

@amira To me it would add a lot of value to separate headphone dacs and amp into portable and desktop devices. Currently it is difficult to discern the best portable devices.

DanielT

Major Contributor

I am assuming if balanced out is used, then it will be for balanced connection to the target device. That issue only occurs if you take balanced to unbalanced/RCA.

Good job Amir! I agree with you, let others weigh the stuff, so they see that it matches the stated spec.

To mix balanced with unbalanced. It can cause problems/challenges. I only understand half of what the knowledgeable people in that thread (link below) are talking about.:)
Even the knowledgeable get confused. Answers from Loxjie will probably be needed to proceed with the case:

Top Bottom