• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worthy upgrade for stereo, from Yamaha RX-V3800?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48726
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48726

Hi there

Been lurking the forums for a long time without a user-account. -Learnt a lot!

My current 2.1 setup:
-->Yamaha RX-V3800
-->System Audio Mantra 70 (full range)
-->SVS SB2000 (< 40 Hz)

Via two small tweaks at room mode (31 Hz, 130-something) by the Yamaha's PEQ, I have a nice flat response curve (measured with UMIK and REW) dropping smooth-ish ~5 dB from 20 to 15.000 Hz. I am happy with how it sounds.
I only listen to music.

The itch I have is, that I wonder if I can get better sound from switching the RX-V3800 to something more dedicated to stereo? -Been looking at Yamaha AS-line and have tried an old Yamaha MX-630 I had lying, but found the RX-V3800 had more control over the speakers. I guess that damping factor means something when there are seven drivers in each speaker column?

Anyone willing to share similar experience or thoughts?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For 2.1 listening the difference from an AS series and your RX-V3080 will be miniscule. You are better off spending more money on speakers. You already have decent speakers so you will need a substantial upgrade to really make a difference. :D

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

For 2.1 listening the difference from an AS series and your RX-V3080 will be miniscule. You are better off spending more money on speakers. You already have decent speakers so you will need a substantial upgrade to really make a difference. :D
Yeah, I thought so too. The RX-V3800 is quite good on its own despite being an AVR. -But I am not sure what it's comparable to in terms of integrated stereo amps?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I thought so too. The RX-V3800 is quite good on its own despite being an AVR. -But I am not sure what it's comparable to in terms of integrated stereo amps?
If you are interested in high power for the main/front speakers perhaps a Buckey Amps class D amp would be a good choice.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

If you are interested in high power for the main/front speakers perhaps a Buckey Amps class D amp would be a good choice.
I have had an eye on the used market for class-D amps for six months time. Nothing really seems to come up. At least not in DK.

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Yes, I see the 1502 has comparable power output too. If the Crown is your choice it's hard to beat the price per watt.
It isn't really. But I have weighted the Class-D route before, but then it is the "add-on" instead of "replace and simplify". And I don't know if quality is comparable to that of the Rx-V3800.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It isn't really. But I have weighted the Class-D route before, but then it is the "add-on" instead of "replace and simplify". And I don't know if quality is comparable to that of the Rx-V3800.
I took a look at the front left amp circuitry for the RX-V3800 and it does not seem to have anything special about it other than a fairly standardized layout with some protection circuitry in it too. The power supply is loosely regulated as it has ~63.4VDC at idle. No idea what it is loaded down because there are so many amp channels drawing power from the power supply the available voltage will be reduced substantially to a calculated guess of ~47VDC @140W/ch. The unit does have a lot of peripheral circuitry that you are expensed for as compared to a dedicated amplifier. I don't see why you can't operate a dedicated amp from the 3080. But if you want to de-clutter then that's not feasible.
yamaha 3080 a.png

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Well, for historical sake and maybe subjectively anectdotal evidence for future forum crawlers. -I got an offer I couldn't refuse. -On an "old" (hurts my brain to call it that, may say something about my own age, I dunno) Yamaha P3200 pro amplifier. It has been used by a music producer in a studio, so it is mint, absolutely. Opened it up and it looks so nice. No dust, everything looks like it has just come off the production line.

Well, the plan was actually for the amp to go into my workshop but I tried it, without much anticipation, on my main system, bypassing the RX-V3800, taking the analogue signal from my Chromecast Audio directly onto the terminals on the P3200. Initially I tried hooking it up via the pre-outs on the RX-V, but the voltage out is too low.

This pro amp really plays! -I hear more controlled bass and clearer mids and highs, generally a more coherent sound. And no, there were no DSP or EQ active in the RX-V for anyone wondering.

Actually, it has me second guessing the future for my SVS SB2000 in the same room, as I now find the sound from the towers themselves to be that much better in the low notes regions.

This turn of events has settled it and it has been playing like this in seven days now.
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Holdt_DK that Yamaha Yamaha P3200 really has a lot more power @ 340 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 880 watts into 8Ω (mono). I'm not surprised that you hear a difference and it outputs a louder signal too. The P3200 amp circuitry simply outclasses by far the Yamaha receiver that you've been using. If you are poking about inside the P3200 amp be careful you don't short anything and get electrocuted even if it powered off because the power supply has a high DC voltage and will bite really hard. What did that amp set you back?
Screenshot 2022-07-03 220628.png

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

@Holdt_DK that Yamaha Yamaha P3200 really has a lot more power @ 340 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 880 watts into 8Ω (mono). I'm not surprised that you hear a difference and it outputs a louder signal too. The P3200 amp circuitry simply outclasses by far the Yamaha receiver that you've been using. If you are poking about inside the P3200 amp be careful you don't short anything and get electrocuted even if it powered off because the power supply has a high DC voltage and will bite really hard. What did that amp set you back?
View attachment 216321
Well, as I wrote, it really was an offer too good to refuse. "Aboot" 160 Canadian dollar..

OP
D

Deleted member 48726

Wowzer. Great deal! Very good purchase. :D
Yeah, I think so too. Meanwhile, I'm pondering what to do about the fans I have disconnected, which has a low / high speed. I've raised the top deck a couple of mm. with washers for it to breathe a bit. It doesn't even reach 10 °C > ambient while playing at 90 dB for 30 min. in the living room though, so I'm not really concerned about it. But would rather have some airflow than none. I can't seem to find any 80x80 24VDC brushless silent fans anywhere.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I think so too. Meanwhile, I'm pondering what to do about the fans I have disconnected, which has a low / high speed. I've raised the top deck a couple of mm. with washers for it to breathe a bit. It doesn't even reach 10 °C > ambient while playing at 90 dB for 30 min. in the living room though, so I'm not really concerned about it. But would rather have some airflow than none. I can't seem to find any 80x80 24VDC brushless silent fans anywhere.
Have you tried Electrosonic Canada for fans?

Top Bottom