• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Time to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V781

Perelik

Hi everyone from the UK, it is time now for me to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V781 which has given me great service and never gone wrong.

My system comprises of 55inch Sony Bravia KDXF9005 4K, speakers setup is 5.1, front Monitor audio Silver 200, Centre Monitor Audio Silver, rears Ruark Vita 100s Sub Ruark 100. Connected are Sony DVD Blueray, SkyQ, Blusound 3.20 with a Creek phono amp with Rega Planar 2 TT.

I am only able to have a 5.1 setup due to rooms constrictions. Tv is in the corner with both front speakers either side. My room is 12x13 ft and I sit approx 9ft from the tv. Rear speakers are on the in the corner on the wall, just behind my head.

I have done lots of research and I am confused. Ones I have looked at are Arcam, Marantz and Denon Onkyo. I listen to music either vinyl or streaming through my Bluos, quite alot so 2 channel sound is important. Because music is important to me, I have been leaning to the Arcam as from reviews it is better for music, I also like to watch films and TV.

Or would I be better getting a dedicated 3 channel amp?

The maximum height of the amp is 176mm x 450mm

My sub has developed a cracking sound so will most likely change that.

My budget is up to £1000 but like to pay less really. I certainly don't mind buying used or an older model.

Look forward to your help.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi everyone from the UK, it is time now for me to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V781 which has given me great service and never gone wrong.

My system comprises of 55inch Sony Bravia KDXF9005 4K, speakers setup is 5.1, front Monitor audio Silver 200, Centre Monitor Audio Silver, rears Ruark Vita 100s Sub Ruark 100. Connected are Sony DVD Blueray, SkyQ, Blusound 3.20 with a Creek phono amp with Rega Planar 2 TT.

I am only able to have a 5.1 setup due to rooms constrictions. Tv is in the corner with both front speakers either side. My room is 12x13 ft and I sit approx 9ft from the tv. Rear speakers are on the in the corner on the wall, just behind my head.

I have done lots of research and I am confused. Ones I have looked at are Arcam, Marantz and Denon Onkyo. I listen to music either vinyl or streaming through my Bluos, quite alot so 2 channel sound is important. Because music is important to me, I have been leaning to the Arcam as from reviews it is better for music, I also like to watch films and TV.

Or would I be better getting a dedicated 3 channel amp?

The maximum height of the amp is 176mm x 450mm

My sub has developed a cracking sound so will most likely change that.

My budget is up to £1000 but like to pay less really. I certainly don't mind buying used or an older model.

Look forward to your help.
May I ask why you want to replace the RXV-781?
He already has Atmos and you only use a 5.1 setup. It also has pre-outs for all channels.
With current devices, you have to spend significantly more for the same functionality.

OP
P

Perelik

Thanks for your reply. The reason is, I have had it for 6 years and thought it was time to change. I also thought a newer AVR would be better spec. (upgraditis).
I also wanted better musicality for stereo, so on that note would it be better to Bi amp my speakers and get an amp to drive the front and center speakers?
Since I wrote this post I have just read Archimango's post on this exact amp and he really rates for the price point. I do like the amp and it has sufficed my needs for the last 6 years and never gone wrong.
Let me know your thoughts.
PS I will also have to get a new subwoofer to match my MA's or get mine repaired Vita 100 which is 15 years old?

delta76

Major Contributor
Not a avr maker is "better at music". we have Denon which usually has good DAC and amp but there could be a miss. There is not enough data to draw about other makers. And don't trust people with things like Marantz is better for music and Denon is better for movies.
if you can, grab a Denon x3600h second hand. it would cost around 500-600GBP and will be more than enough for your system, while very good at music

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thanks for your reply. The reason is, I have had it for 6 years and thought it was time to change. I also thought a newer AVR would be better spec. (upgraditis).
I also wanted better musicality for stereo, so on that note would it be better to Bi amp my speakers and get an amp to drive the front and center speakers?
Since I wrote this post I have just read Archimango's post on this exact amp and he really rates for the price point. I do like the amp and it has sufficed my needs for the last 6 years and never gone wrong.
Let me know your thoughts.
PS I will also have to get a new subwoofer to match my MA's or get mine repaired Vita 100 which is 15 years old?
I still have the RXV-779, i.e. the predecessor, and I don’t see any reason to upgrade at the moment.
Do it for stereo like me. Find a stereo amplifier that has enough power and connect the preamp outputs from the 781 to a component input on the stereo amplifier. Use the 781's noise function to adjust the volume on the stereo amplifier and mark the position. Done, measure the 781 again if necessary. This relieves the 781 enormously in surround and is an upgrade.
The source devices for stereo are connected analogously to the stereo amplifier (and digitally to the 781). Two systems, stereo and home cinema.
Inexpensive and powerful stereo amplifiers would currently be SMSL A200 and A300, for example.

OP
P

Perelik

I still have the RXV-779, i.e. the predecessor, and I don’t see any reason to upgrade at the moment.
Do it for stereo like me. Find a stereo amplifier that has enough power and connect the preamp outputs from the 781 to a component input on the stereo amplifier. Use the 781's noise function to adjust the volume on the stereo amplifier and mark the position. Done, measure the 781 again if necessary. This relieves the 781 enormously in surround and is an upgrade.
The source devices for stereo are connected analogously to the stereo amplifier (and digitally to the 781). Two systems, stereo and home cinema.
Inexpensive and powerful stereo amplifiers would currently be SMSL A200 and A300, for example.
Thanks for your advice I knew I would get good advice on here. I will certainly look into your suggestions. I am now convinced that is the way to go and also saves money to buy a subwoofer.

Top Bottom