• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

J-B

MA 1 vs GLM
Which one is better?

GLM is much more advanced and mature, but I wonder how their actual room correction filters compare.
GLM doesn't like boosting frequencies (only one, limited parametric boost is possible I believe) because of headroom.
I don't know MA1's approach because it doesn't give as much detail about what exactly it corrects. It only shows a curve which you can manually adjust.

MA1 is working fantastic for me. A night and day difference with for example Sonarworks.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially because of the comparison between a MA1-system and a GLM-system I am curious about @badboygolf16v ´s experience, even if it is certainly limited by the fact that the KH80 and the 8341 are in a different league.

Some time ago @Nicochu had compared a small desktop system in the direct near field here and bought both a complete, small Neumann and a small Genelec set - that was quite interesting.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Especially because of the comparison between a MA1-system and a GLM-system I am curious about @badboygolf16v ´s experience, even if it is certainly limited by the fact that the KH80 and the 8341 are in a different league.

Some time ago @Nicochu had compared a small desktop system in the direct near field here and bought both a complete, small Neumann and a small Genelec set - that was quite interesting.
His comparison is similar to what I experienced
Genelec - more instrument separation, more analytical sounding
Neumann - more "cohesive" sounding, a little more "musical" .
I like dissecting music and sounds so I tend to like the Genelec sound more.
I also like the tonality more.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
His comparison is similar to what I experienced
Genelec - more instrument separation, more analytical sounding
Neumann - more "cohesive" sounding, a little more "musical" .
I like dissecting music and sounds so I tend to like the Genelec sound more.
I also like the tonality more.
So I suggest you finally make up your mind and buy a pair ;)

Pritaudio

Is there a significant sound difference between the kh80 and kh120.
output seems to be fairly similar.
does the kh80 beam sound more, and the kh120 sound bigger In Far field listening.
also, does the kh80 distort more at higher volumes than kh120.

im considering 2 kh750 and kh120 instead of 1 kh750 and kh150.
it certainly seems to be better value for money.

Pritaudio

Also, why would you want to turn off the kh750, unless it is for quieter time listening.
does the kh750 allow pass through mode for attached kh120, for late night listening, without losing the calibrated settings for other times.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a significant sound difference between the kh80 and kh120.
output seems to be fairly similar.
They are very much different:
0ABA56EC-6C01-4C47-887B-724290E90115.jpeg

85CE1F47-647E-4A43-948C-7D2B7FA27977.jpeg

DSJR

Major Contributor
Maybe not the thread to post this, but Stereophile are 'doing' the Genelec G3 very soon (ruler flat response apart from the usual Stereophile mid bass bump). Not sure why the G series exists, but if aimed at the domestic side (what's the difference?), it may be possible to get prosumer dealers to have these as well as the Neumann models.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe not the thread to post this, but Stereophile are 'doing' the Genelec G3 very soon (ruler flat response apart from the usual Stereophile mid bass bump). Not sure why the G series exists, but if aimed at the domestic side (what's the difference?), it may be possible to get prosumer dealers to have these as well as the Neumann models.
The G series got RCA inputs. That's the only difference if my memory serves me correctly...

J-B

I owned the KH120s in the past and I personally much prefer the KH80s.
Yes the 120s go louder and have more bass, but the 80s just sound so much better in the mids for me. To me the 120 sounds muddy next to the 80.
The digital crossover does really seem to make a difference.
Because of that the KH80 is a much nicer companion for the KH750 sub.

Top Bottom