• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I sent you a PM. My DX7 Pro is dead, like I stated here
Thanks for the PM - Just replied.

Here's a post about the issue I had with mine, and I made a few other posts about the actual replacement.

Andresan76

So got the chance of buying one of these amps, so need your opinions:
  • Topping dx7pro with some jumping volume steps issue, the rest, mint condition
  • Audeze Deckard - mint
I think I can't get the Deckard lower than 250 euros, and the Topping lower than 350

my thoughts - specs definately Topping, looks Deckard as it goes nice with my LCD 2.

Last edited:

Erdbeergeist

• Audeze Deckard - mint
I think I can't get the Deckard lower than 250 euros, and the Topping lower than 350

my thoughts - specs definately Topping, looks Deckard as it goes nice with my LCD 2.
Difficult, Id probably not buy a device with the issue you mentioned for the Topping. That being said, its an amazing little device, speaking from experience as well.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
  • Audeze Deckard - mint

I have owned both, but not at the same time. From what I recall of them (to my ears), the DX7 sounded quite detailed, but a little lean, while Deckard was smoother with less raw detail, but also had a little hum under certain circumstances. The Deckard is very powerful - Much more power than you really need for the LCD-2, or almost anything (I actually got my Deckard for free when I bought a set of LCD-2s).

My DX7 Pro also had a faulty volume control, which I have posted about earlier. It's quite straight forward to replace, and I have a spare volume controller/display board if you need.

Erdbeergeist

I have owned both, but not at the same time. From what I recall of them (to my ears), the DX7 sounded quite detailed, but a little lean, while Deckard was smoother with less raw detail, but also had a little hum under certain circumstances. The Deckard is very powerful - Much more power than you really need for the LCD-2, or almost anything (I actually got my Deckard for free when I bought a set of LCD-2s).

My DX7 Pro also had a faulty volume control, which I have posted about earlier. It's quite straight forward to replace, and I have a spare volume controller/display board if you need.
good to hear that its not super difficult to replace, hopefully mine wont develop this issue tho

Andresan76

I went for the Topping for 300, the jumps in volume are not as critical as the seller said, actually, most of the time it works well, also the Deckard seller wanted 265 pounds = 318 euros plus postage and taxes, so it was easy to decide ;)

Erdbeergeist

I went for the Topping for 300, the jumps in volume are not as critical as the seller said, actually, most of the time it works well, also the Deckard seller wanted 265 pounds = 318 euros plus postage and taxes, so it was easy to decide ;)
nice, let us know your thoughts!

Toku

Major Contributor
Hope they make a DX7 refresh and DX9 release in the near future~
AKM in Japan has announced some new DAC chips such as the AK4499EX. Sample shipments have already begun, and mass production will begin in the fall. Therefore, it is expected that a new model will be released in line with this.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
AKM in Japan has announced some new DAC chips such as the AK4499EX. Sample shipments have already begun, and mass production will begin in the fall. Therefore, it is expected that a new model will be released in line with this.

Here is a short article in Japan on the AK4499EX, more like a promotional press release:

A slight improvement over the AK4499:
The signal-to-noise ratio is 135 dB and the THD is -124 dB. The conventional flagship AK4499 had an SN ratio of 134 dB and a THD of -124 dB.

This part is fun…
When used in combination with AK4191, it can play PCM up to 1,536kHz / 64bit and DSD 44.8MHz "ultra-high resolution sound source". In addition, the new function "asynchronous operation mode" installed in the AK4191 makes it possible to completely separate the clocks of the digital and analog sections. The 2-chip solution also realizes high-precision D / A conversion using a low-jitter clock.

Of course 1,536kHz/64bit is over kill for human ears, but it says something that DAC tech has pushed the boundary way way way past its practical necessity. The only practical use I can see for this huge capacity is with upscalers…I still think there is room for a neural net-based upscaler that fills in the ultrasonic frequency spectrum in a way that produces better roll-off and shapes it in a way that doesn’t tax amps/speakers at the HF end in ways that could trickle down to the audible spectrum.

ChinaMackie

Hi I got an technical Question.

Can I use the XLR Output from my Dx7 pro for connecting directly to my new Mackie active PA System .
I don´t want to use a Mixer when I just listening to music from my Laptop.
Is there a problem to directly connecting the dx7 pro to the PA, or are there advantages in putting a Mixer between when I am just listening to Music from one source?

thx

hidehide

By looking at the spec sheet, the output under 32 ohms and 300 ohms from the L50 is higher than the Dx7 Pro even though it’s single ended. Does that mean the L50 headphone amp is more powerful than the Dx7 Pro?
If so, E50/L50 stack seems to be better than the Dx7 Pro, except there are no volume knob when functioning as preamp? Thanks.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Hi I got an technical Question.

Can I use the XLR Output from my Dx7 pro for connecting directly to my new Mackie active PA System .
I don´t want to use a Mixer when I just listening to music from my Laptop.
Is there a problem to directly connecting the dx7 pro to the PA, or are there advantages in putting a Mixer between when I am just listening to Music from one source?

thx
Yes you can. It's what I do at my desktop:
Raspberry pi 》 dx7 pro with xlr cables 》genelec 8030. Just make sure you set de dx7pro to " Xlr Pre" or something similar. Then you can adjust the volume. (Double click the volume knob)

staticV3

Master Contributor
@hidehide
E50+L50 SE out has a lot more power than DX7 SE out:
Screenshot_20220503-121936_Sheets.jpg

E50+L50 Bal out is slightly more powerful than DX7 Bal out (note that I added Amir's 50Ω measurement to the graph):
Screenshot_20220503-122259_Sheets.jpg

hidehide

@hidehide
E50+L50 SE out has a lot more power than DX7 SE out:
View attachment 204185

E50+L50 Bal out is slightly more powerful than DX7 Bal out (note that I added Amir's 50Ω measurement to the graph):
View attachment 204186
Thanks for the graph! So basically L50 has a more powerful headphone amp.. I will using it for a LCD3 pre-fazor (which optimal power is 1-4W) and also be using it as a dac/preamp for studio monitor which has TRS balanced input. So basically the only advantage of DX7 Pro over E50/L50 stack is smaller form factor and a volume knob..

Last edited:

LutinBleu

Hi all,
I needed a DAC for my new Genelec 8030s, bumped into this forum and decided to register. I read this review, checked the DX7 Pro at Walmart Canada and found so many different prices I do not understand. Are the cheap ones fake?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Hi all,
I needed a DAC for my new Genelec 8030s, bumped into this forum and decided to register. I read this review, checked the DX7 Pro at Walmart Canada and found so many different prices I do not understand. Are the cheap ones fake?
Thanks in advance.
This product reached end of life. There might be some last stock left in local stores.

Screenshot_20220531-182700_Firefox Focus.jpg

Last edited:

iscorpio71

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an excellent AMP DAC solution, I've been reading a lot about topping and Fiio's K9 Pro and others.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

IB

xbalkugqw

Hello!

I'm looking for a new desktop DAC and I would like to know which you would suggest me between the DX 7 Pro and the Fiio K9 Pro. Is there any difference since both have the same DAC?

Thanks!

Top Bottom