• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Burson Soloist 3XP Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 155 64.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.8%

• Total voters

Wegi76

Why would you need a HP amp if you have an ADI2?

I guess I read too much in internet forums that time and listened to the voices that promised better sound especially with Hifiman Aryas...Also I have some XLR-style headphone cables.. I did not have access to any measurement results that time and believed what was written there... Today I would not repeat this investment for sure.

But to be honest with you: I really cannot say anything negative about the sound. With my higher impedance headphones and mid gain there is no hiss audible. Sensitive IEMs are getting plugged into my ADI2 directly.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
The funniest thing is how they boast 'It is the first headphone amp in the world that works so hard it needs active cooling.' As if this is somehow a good thing. They do seem to have addressed some of Amir's concerns with labelling the inputs and adding menu buttons etc though. Oh and it is even more absurdly powerful and expensive.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/soloist-3x-grand-tourer/

View attachment 209240
View attachment 209241

This is the most egregious product for me though:

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/super-charger-3a/

View attachment 209245
Well hell. Of course it costs more. Everything is aligned on the faceplate. That takes care and effort on there part.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The same volume control IC was used in the Emotiva DC-1 which was measured here also. I'm not sure it is the issue.

The volume control IC itself will not be the problem as that is low distortion.
It could be how it was used though. There seem to be different modes of connection depending on what opamp type (FET or BJT) is used and there may be not so well designed interfacing between the input of the volume control and the ladder.

The input seems to be a simple opamp driving the R2R ladder (which by itself can be quite linear, assuming the switches inside do not have too much voltage across it.

What's strange is that the distortion profile is very similar for each gain. This suggests (depending on how this is designed) that the distortion is generated before or by the volume control circuit.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those are machine tool (MT) sockets for the opamps.
You line up one side of the pins, then rock the other side into place, squeezing just enough to make them fit. Easy peasy if you do hundreds per day.
But can be a PITA if any of the chip legs have been fiddled with. They make (made?) pin straightner tools for that (for DIP packages anyway.)
We used to use them all the time for swapable EEPROMs, memory chips, etc.
Esp for road gear - less likely for the chips to get knocked loose during, uh, transit.
Shame about the measurements.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading the Burson webpage it seems a good hobby project for a teenager. Can have the loudest amp around and it's class A with roll able OP amps. Currently selling in USA for $1200.00 + tax. :D
It is total bulls**t.

Burson Audio is challenging the conventional and pushing the boundaries of audio excellence through innovation. A decade ago, we argued against using IC opamps on the audio signal path. Today, our discrete audio opamps are industry benchmarks.

and here we are, rolling op-amps.

In 2017, we had a breakthrough in power supply research. It led to the development of our proprietary Max Current Power Supply (MCPS). Superior to both transformer-based and conventional switching power supply designs, the MCPS is featured in all Burson products, winning awards and leaving competitors in the dust.

and here they are, shipping the product with an off-the-shelf Chinese PSU.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I guess I read too much in internet forums that time and listened to the voices that promised better sound especially with Hifiman Aryas...Also I have some XLR-style headphone cables.. I did not have access to any measurement results that time and believed what was written there... Today I would not repeat this investment for sure.

But to be honest with you: I really cannot say anything negative about the sound. With my higher impedance headphones and mid gain there is no hiss audible. Sensitive IEMs are getting plugged into my ADI2 directly.
Thanks for the reply. Many would instead claim some magic property not shown in the measurements to justify the purchase. You still have the option of selling the Burson, of course. :)

doug2761

Forum Donor

Folks say a lot of stuff about subjective differences that don't match my experiences at all. It took sites like this one and Archimago's blog along with first-hand experimenting to realize how silly some claims can be. I have an ADI-2 and Khadas Tone Board that I use for headphones. The Tone Board through a Drop THX AAA 789. Swapping headphones between those two set ups and also playing around with 4-pin XLR headphone cables yielded no audible differences to me. Really should not be a surprise given the performance envelope of human hearing and the measured performance of those pieces of equipment. Based on the subjective forums, you'd think that there should be night and day differences; weird.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the subjective forums, you'd think that there should be night and day differences; weird.
Some peeps don't like their sense of space and time all bent out of shape.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully the manufacturer will read this forum. $1200 for <$150 BOM nice pump and dump.
I'd pay $50 extra because they've gone full-discrete design (old skool). The 'cheapskate' in me will raise my BAFO to $500.
2206-BursonSignLanguage.jpg

What sign-language are those arrows in? Yo no comprendo...:confused:

Wegi76

The one to the left side represents input, output is on the right side. I guess that the one with the vertical arrows should represent the variable preamp output level mode and the the one without additional arrows stands for fixed output levels... (You can put the amp in a mode where it bypasses the internal volume control completely by pressing the menu button for 12 seconds)

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yet another high end device I can cross off my list.

It looks like RME and Benchmark are the only ones making state of the art components, other than the usual Chinese manufacturers that is.

Martin
hey Martin what non-SOTA amplifiers are you still using at the moment? IIRC you looked into Burson a few months ago, quite a shame it does not live up to the marketing buzzwords. At least it has insane juice for headphones...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an old timey design from the days when people were looking for power and nothing but power ("SINAD?!! What's a SINAD?") to drive their Abyss 1266's, and HiFi Man He 6's.

asrUser

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hey Martin what non-SOTA amplifiers are you still using at the moment? IIRC you looked into Burson a few months ago, quite a shame it does not live up to the marketing buzzwords. At least it has insane juice for headphones...

I'm still using the Topping DX7 Pro I bought at the beginning of my journey into ASR recommended components and headphones. I'm contemplating the RME ADI-2 Pro FS to replace the DX7 Pro and my tube preamp or the Benchmark HPA-4 and use the DAC portion of the DX7 Pro. I also keep looking at the Schiit Freya S and/or Freya +. I need multiple analog inputs because I still listen to vinyl.

Martin

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That would make me crazy, needing more than 1 rotation. Hehe i just imagine a small 32 channel mixer, and every knob need some rotations.

Last edited:

Wegi76

@tomtoo A full rotation of the wrist equals ~10 steps of the volume. So lots of turning needed... Thats why I use the ADI2 DAC for volume control mostly.

Luckily you can mute the thing by pressing the volume knob down...

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an old timey design from the days when people were looking for power and nothing but power ("SINAD?!! What's a SINAD?") to drive their Abyss 1266's, and HiFi Man He 6's.
this isnt even the top of their line when it comes to power. Need to step up to the $2500 soloist 3x GT with superduper power supply. The GT is 10W of class A goodness while the "performance" version is a piddly 8W.

Top Bottom