• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The folks back East are coming out with so many stellar performing DACs and DAC/amps at so many converging price points that I’m starting to yearn for the days when I wasn’t faced with so many choices! Well, not really, but holy moly. I wonder what the competition dynamics are amongst Topping, Gustard, Sabaj, Matrix, SMSL, and Loxjie—and I’m still waiting on a review of the new(ish) Yulong DA11!

Labjr

Major Contributor
I won't get a bluetooth device until it supports some sort of lossless audio.

respice finem

Major Contributor
There is the SMSL HO100
Indeed. Nice price too, no BT but I don't need it anyway. But, no remote?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Indeed. Nice price too, no BT but I don't need it anyway. But, no remote?
And no DAC.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well the SMSL HO100 combines with the DO100. Is this too difficult to unterstand? A stack?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Well the SMSL HO100 combines with the DO100. Is this too difficult to unterstand? A stack?
The "oldschool Hi-Fi" way, separate devices for everything (like a preamp and a power amp, or two monoblocks for the high-enders).

Garrincha

By the wording "If it had a headphone amp it would be perfect" Was understood to me as he wanted an integrated device.
Ok, but sometimes it is really asked for too much. Comparatively nice design, stellar measurements, built in power supply, balanced outputs and this should still include an headphone amp for less than $250?

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Ok, but sometimes it is really asked for too much. Comparatively nice design, stellar measuments, balanced outputs and this should still include an headphone amp for less than $250?
I agree, there was no mention of price but of course that's unreasonable. That said, I just look at the SMSL website and the options for DAC/AMPS are quite limited for some reason they seem to focus on separates, on that regard there seem to be better range of choices at Topping. Me personally, I don't own a stack but I find that quite limited. I like to have both headphone capability and feed to my powered speaker at desktop. In this config The amp don't have output and takes the XLR outs from the DAC. Is it confirmed that both the rca outs and XLR outs are active at the same time? In all case it seams a little less convenient but I'd have to see a bit more of the routing structure. I personally for desktop have a semi pro audio interface by Audient and it's simple, the outputs for the speakers, the Jack for headphones, both independent level easy to mute one while using the other. I purchased a separate headphone amp a while back, the Drop THX 789, and its just sitting there not being used because of the convenience factor. It's not practical in feeding the powered speakers.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, but sometimes it is really asked for too much. Comparatively nice design, stellar measuments, built in power supply, balanced outputs and this should still include an headphone amp for less than $250?
I admit, it's always easy to ask for more and this is not supposed to be a do all device. At least I didn't ask for an integrated Purifi power module to drive some speakers on top... :-D

But yes, I like integrated devices, which are...

(1) A do it all (DAC+Amplification+headphone+Sub_outputs+ room correction) for main rig. Doesn't hurt if it's integrated in speakers (see KEF LS60 thread)
(2) A DAC+preamp+headphone for my home office workstation setup

Nothing else really needs apply going forward, I no longer want multiple boxes for electronics... but I know that's just me.

SMSL has a confusing array of seemingly do-the-same devices, competently and even brilliantly designed as they are - I find myself wondering why so many separate boxes...

gfinlays

Of course the numbers are 'incredibly good' because the entire top of the audible spectrum is chopped off, along with its harmonics.

Default filter 1 is circa -12dB down @ 20kHz according to your AP plots... Not sure when that became remotely HiFi. Like, not ever. Certainly not in the digital era, or the open reel era, or even the cassette era.

Filter 3 is clearly the one you should be using for tests.

The last D/A converter you reviewed had the best filter response you've ever measured (the Chord) and yet this thing is getting top marks with arguably one of the worst default filters I've ever seen. Go figure. Where is the consistency?

Hardly. The default filter response (you used for testing) is poor and you know it.
Does it matter though? Do you still have hearing between 19 and 20 kHz? I sure as heck don't!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it matter though? Do you still have hearing between 19 and 20 kHz? I sure as heck don't!
It matters! I enjoy bugging my cat with mosquito noises that make it check everything around ("bug!") yet I can't hear. :-D Boli's (my British shorthair's name) reaction helps establish my system has good HF extension. Plus it's funny to see him embark on some imaginary bug hunt, trying to see which speaker the bug is on. :)

Garrincha

I agree, there was no mention of price but of course that's unreasonable. That said, I just look at the SMSL website and the options for DAC/AMPS are quite limited for some reason they seem to focus on separates, on that regard there seem to be better range of choices at Topping. Me personally, I don't own a stack but I find that quite limited. I like to have both headphone capability and feed to my powered speaker at desktop. In this config The amp don't have output and takes the XLR outs from the DAC. Is it confirmed that both the rca outs and XLR outs are active at the same time? In all case it seams a little less convenient but I'd have to see a bit more of the routing structure. I personally for desktop have a semi pro audio interface by Audient and it's simple, the outputs for the speakers, the Jack for headphones, both independent level easy to mute one while using the other. I purchased a separate headphone amp a while back, the Drop THX 789, and its just sitting there not being used because of the convenience factor. It's not practical in feeding the powered speakers.
Well, depending on the use, I also prefer combined devices. I saw this dac and the headphone amp on Aliexpress maybe a month ago and was looking for a standalone dac/deadphone amp. This one looked nice, but since it wasn't measured yet, I opted for the Topping Dx3 Pro +. So maybe next time.

Walter

Someone asked me about coil whine while the unit is powered but off. I checked for this and mine doesn't make any noise. But I know some who have bought the unit and heard it.
Were they by any chance in 230v countries?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well, depending on the use, I also prefer combined devices. I saw this dac and the headphone amp on Aliexpress maybe a month ago and was looking for a standalone dac/deadphone amp. This one looked nice, but since it wasn't measured yet, I opted for the Topping Dx3 Pro +. So maybe next time.
Looks like a great choice. To be honest I am not so up to date when it comes to desktop DAC/Amps. I have a Topping E30 DAC in my main system but no headphone needed there. Out of curiosity, is it possible to mute the line outs when using the headphones? Does the volume control the line outs? To me this is key, every old preamps does that, any cheap music creation based interfaces too All control of my speakers are in the back and they are of the type that go to sleep without signal. I don't ever want to have to go back there. It seems like an obvious feature but I don't know where the market stands for this class of products. I may want at some point step into SOTA territory, but my experience with buying an headphone amp kinda pulled me out of it temporarily.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Ok, but sometimes it is really asked for too much. Comparatively nice design, stellar measurements, built in power supply, balanced outputs and this should still include an headphone amp for less than $250?
OK that's perhaps too low, but considering the price of my EX5 (314€ via amazon.de) you can have it for not that much more, if you want the convenience of an integrated device. To each their own, of course, some prefer one solution, some the other, there's nothing wrong with either.

Wolven

I have topping Dx3Pro the original version

Is this little SMSL worth the upgrade?
It will be connected to active speakers via RCA only.

Thanks for your opinions

Top Bottom