• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube Loudspeaker Demo Videos - Yes No Maybe?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Borderline Strawman fallacy. Why not demo the B&W over a blown out walkie-talkie. ;)
I guess B&W are bad at reproducing irony too. That may be on the 11hz or around 30Khz, who knows... :D

I pointed out at those cases to ilustrate how untrustworthy is anything that does not involve the actual speakers and live. Even in those cases, I´d rather take a look at data from Amir or Erin because I know I am super biased.

OP
Rednaxela

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
As bad as words are at describing speakers, sound bites on the internet are worse.
If I had to choose, I really don’t know what I’d rather have. Someone else’s written impression from a live demo or my own conclusions from a video.

Luckily we don’t have to choose.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If I had to choose, I really don’t know what I’d rather have. Someone else’s written impression from a live demo or my own conclusions from a video.

Luckily we don’t have to choose.
Amir or Erin´s tests. And your own ears. The second me be harder as logistics for a test listen are not always easy.

TrevC

Everytime I listen to a demo of B&W I´m amazed how close they sound to KEF. I wonder how could the video be so smart to adapt the sound of B&W to my KEF´s...

I could understand that when I do the same for Genelec, as they´re coaxial, but with B&W, I listen no brightness at all, and those are famous for being bright.

Now, on a more serious note, there are way too many elements in the chain: my pc, the denon avr it´s hooked up to, the room... Too many factors to really get an honest idea of what I´m listening to.

audiomaestro

Vacceo

Major Contributor
See? I played the video on my rig and they all sound like KEF IQ´s!!!! How can that be???

Again, my gear is quite old, third (or forth) hand and works reasonably well for music, films and games. But to critically discern differences between a speaker and another (and I´m not even considering the recording conditions), it´s a waste of time. I´d rather find spinoramas...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hell yes
They give an indication of the sound and its impossible to demo every speaker on the planet, so why not

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
A story: a person has spent $50k on their installation. They record a YouTube video showing before and after impacts of swapping their $1k cables for $3k cables. When an engineer argues that (unless faulty) there should be little difference between the $1k and $3k cables, the owner tells the engineer that the difference is only obvious on a really high-quality system and that the difference is obvious on the YouTube video... ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A story: a person has spent $50k on their installation. They record a YouTube video showing before and after impacts of swapping their $1k cables for $3k cables. When an engineer argues that (unless faulty) there should be little difference between the $1k and $3k cables, the owner tells the engineer that the difference is only obvious on a really high-quality system and that the difference is obvious on the YouTube video... ;)
It's the synergy man... the synergy! :cool:

Digby

Major Contributor
When seeing disagreement on the internet, I often wonder how much of it is because many people don't read what is written, more so they react to it. I feel that there is something of a mantra being recited when people say nothing of value can be ascertained from these videos.

It wouldn't take much thinking to see that isn't correct. Nobody is claiming perfect resolution in these videos (this is the reaction, rather than reading) and nobody suggests that the qualms raised don't have value (different rooms to yours, mic response and so on), but to say that videos, especially well executed comparisons between different speakers (yes, even when played back through your own speakers or headphones) don't give an impression of how a speaker will sound, is logically false.

If it wasn't false, you'd just get wildly different characters for the same speakers in differing videos, and in almost all videos, save those with appalling setup quality, this is not true.

A telephone call has nothing hi-fidelity about it, yet you can still recognise a voice you know quite easily, the audible character remains the same. This can only happen if valid information is being transferred through a flawed medium.

The suggestion that all kinds of crazy, discombobulating things are happening to audio recorded in a less than perfect setting, that completely ruins our perception, seems debunked by our ability to recognise familiar voices over the telephone. The telephone is far lower audio quality than almost anything on Youtube.

There is enough bandwidth (information), all flaws considered, to transfer with some degree of useful accuracy, the general character of a speaker over a medium such as Youtube.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My biggest issue with youtube speaker reviews is not the sound but the user interface! If you are going to present an AB test of two speakers, I like to have the two audio files in hand so I can compare them as I like to. Trying to use a video player and jump from one to the other inside a clip is downright frustrating. Comparisons of speakers must occur quickly or your memory fades (and adapts). You can't listen to 1 or more minutes of one speaker, and then another. This will not be a proper comparison.

If these people were interested in proper evaluation, they would provide the audio files. Alas, that doesn't get monetized so they show them using video.

Research also tells us that stereo listening is not very effective in showing flaws in speakers. And content matters. You want tracks that have consistent content to make AB testing easier. Grabbing some free content from youtube library, or some random audiophile track doesn't do it.

On top of the other issues brought up, I just don't see any value in doing such tests.

Digby

Major Contributor
On top of the other issues brought up, I just don't see any value in doing such tests.
I can think of a potential use in establishing correlation between spin data and subjective sound impression.

There have been times when you have been presented with data that left you unhappy, only to listen to the speaker and find it pleasant enough. The data looked more objectionable than it was to the ear.

A recording of the sound character of different speakers (alongside the measurements) might provide some data as to how things translate from measurement to listening.

This could be interesting and useful, given few people have as much access to speakers & NFS as you do. It may identify trends and patterns previously unknown or not well understood.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A recording of the sound character of different speakers (alongside the measurements) might provide some data as to how things translate from measurement to listening.
Using identical music demos for each test? At identical levels too. That's what you mean?

Digby

Major Contributor
Yeah, everything would want to be as near to identical as possible, to gain maximum value.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But it won't and it is a lot of work and expense to host them. On the former, if your headphone is already a bass heavy, you may like a speaker with less bass using them which is not correct. And at any rate, everyone will have a different headphone so disagreements would continue.

Top Bottom