• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are other things which can delay a product, including unexpected parts unavailability, vendor issues unrelated to parts, regulatory compliance issues, or other even more mundane things. The impact of these can be easy to critique for somebody who has no manufacturing experience and has no knowledge of what is confronting the manufacturer. I would urge patience, since there's no reason for them to hold product back unless there is a valid reason, and I'm sure they have better things to do than address holdups on every product in their vast lineup.
I have to admit it's a bit odd that they proudly announce the amp will be available then...crickets. Just an announcement on their website the amp release will be delayed would be enough-I get @pfgiv point.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't mean to come off as crass, but I wonder if people are just trolling me, or if my point is not being understood.

Using your example, would your company, knowing they can't get the Siemens components, announce a new project to begin or be completed in 3 weeks (or any unrealistic time frame)? It seems logical that if you knew there was a supply chain issue, you would not, or you would set a realistic date to begin, or complete the project.

Hobie says "brand new product, available in 2-3 weeks". There's no benefit in doing so if it's not going to be available. These aren't crowd funded amps. There's no pre-order. There's no financial benefit for them being announced as available in 2-3 weeks, if they will not be available for a year.

At the end of the day, none of this discussion matters as it will not make the amp more readily available. Some in this thread just want to die on their hill of false equivalency to place no blame on Monoprice. Whoever gave the green light to say the amps would be available in 2-3 weeks is squarely to blame for an unrealistic time frame, regardless if it is component related, production related, styrofoam packing related, cardboard shipping box related, etc. All of this would have been ordered and delivered and built well before Hobie said 2-3 weeks in the video. That's my only point.
I ordered a few things this past year. One of them was supposed to be to me by October, it wasn't here until end of December. Another was supposed to be here at the beginning of December, it wasn't here until the beginning of February.

All of these items were delayed by things outside of the person/company I was buying the items from control.

I've inquired from Cross Spectrum labs about a couple of microphones that were supposed to be there "in 2 weeks" and it has been a few months now and no more updates. Same with a couple of companies about crown xls amps.

The company assembling the amps for monoprice (since monoprice most likely doesn't do this themselves) probably said they would be done in 2-3 weeks. So monoprice (Hobie) relayed this information in a random youtube video. Well, that clearly changed for some reason that we can sit here and speculate why, but it doesn't really matter.

If you can't see how all of this is ALL related to the same issues of supply chain issues then that is on you.

If you are just mad at Hobie saying 2-3 weeks, in a youtube video that few will actually see, that makes it exactly like the htp-1 as he has said the same thing about more being available, dts:x pro being available, and HDMI 2.1 boards being updated in it. All of those timelines have LONG been passed (literally a couple have been 2 years now).

I've learned to take Hobie's timelines with a grain of salt, I would suggest the same for all.

KMM

I don't mean to come off as crass, but I wonder if people are just trolling me, or if my point is not being understood.

Using your example, would your company, knowing they can't get the Siemens components, announce a new project to begin or be completed in 3 weeks (or any unrealistic time frame)? It seems logical that if you knew there was a supply chain issue, you would not, or you would set a realistic date to begin, or complete the project.

Hobie says "brand new product, available in 2-3 weeks". There's no benefit in doing so if it's not going to be available. These aren't crowd funded amps. There's no pre-order. There's no financial benefit for them being announced as available in 2-3 weeks, if they will not be available for a year.

At the end of the day, none of this discussion matters as it will not make the amp more readily available. Some in this thread just want to die on their hill of false equivalency to place no blame on Monoprice. Whoever gave the green light to say the amps would be available in 2-3 weeks is squarely to blame for an unrealistic time frame, regardless if it is component related, production related, styrofoam packing related, cardboard shipping box related, etc. All of this would have been ordered and delivered and built well before Hobie said 2-3 weeks in the video. That's my only point.
Didn't follow it in all details, you are right if they announced a product to the market and then can't delivery on the promise. Worse, they are mum about it. I have seen a number of botched product launches over the last 18-24 months e.g. new Triumph Tiger 1200 motorcycles, Volkswagen Hybrid and Electrical vehicles and the list continues. Say what you do and do what you say fell out of fashion it seems.

pfgiv

There are other things which can delay a product, including unexpected parts unavailability, vendor issues unrelated to parts, regulatory compliance issues, or other even more mundane things. The impact of these can be easy to critique for somebody who has no manufacturing experience and has no knowledge of what is confronting the manufacturer. I would urge patience, since there's no reason for them to hold product back unless there is a valid reason, and I'm sure they have better things to do than address holdups on every product in their vast lineup.
MMV, from reading here I know you have experience in this field. What product would you announce as available in 3 weeks if there were possibility of component delays, regulatory compliance issues, etc. That's what I'm taking issue with. If it's not going to be ready for 10 months, then just say that. 2-3 weeks time frame seems mighty close if there are any possibilities of delays that would push back the time frame multiple months.

pfgiv

I've learned to take Hobie's timelines with a grain of salt, I would suggest the same for all.
Maybe this was my mistake all along. If he/monoprice is willing to just blow smoke up people's ass for no reason, then I'll keep that in mind when I purchase products in the future.

pfgiv

I have to admit it's a bit odd that they proudly announce the amp will be available then...crickets. Just an announcement on their website the amp release will be delayed would be enough-I get @pfgiv point.
Exactly this, is my point.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
MMV, from reading here I know you have experience in this field. What product would you announce as available in 3 weeks if there were possibility of component delays, regulatory compliance issues, etc. That's what I'm taking issue with. If it's not going to be ready for 10 months, then just say that. 2-3 weeks time frame seems mighty close if there are any possibilities of delays that would push back the time frame multiple months.
Clearly not optimal, but it is what it is, so if you want one of these amps, I'd be patient. If not, purchase something else and hope they can deliver.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Again, not optimal, but shit sometimes happens. I've seen it happen here multiple times. It is just dealt with as best as can be done. If the Bakemark truck carrying doughnut ingredients to your favorite doughnut shop gets a flat tire and can't deliver, its useless to berate the person behind the counter. ;)

pfgiv

Again, not optimal, but shit sometimes happens. I've seen it happen here multiple times. It is just dealt with as best as can be done. If the Bakemark truck carrying doughnut ingredients to your favorite doughnut shop gets a flat tire and can't deliver, its useless to berate the person behind the counter. ;)
While I agree with you, I view your example as me calling into the shop to see if they have chocolate glazed, to which they reply, why yes of course. I go to the shop to pick them up, when they tell me, sorry the ingredient truck broke down.

You tell me MMV, as you're the one with experience, if your company is releasing a product for sale in 2-3 weeks, is it likely, or even possible, that the components are not even at the assembly factory at this point? It seems likely to me that multiple units would have already been built and ready to ship to meet demand once the product launches. That's the only thing that rubs me the wrong way. But maybe it is my expectation that is overly conservative regarding time frame. Maybe hundreds or thousands of these amps components all arrive and are assembled 3 days before launch, and that's leading to the misunderstanding. However, this seems unlikely but I'll gladly recant if this actually is the case.

Descartes

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

pfgiv

yay, now I can quit my bitchin'

Can't wait to see test results, since NAD M28 is sold out everywhere

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
yay, now I can quit my bitchin'

Can't wait to see test results, since NAD M28 is sold out everywhere
The Hypex modules' performance capabilities are well documented, so I would expect that this amp would be no different. I think the difference would probably be things like better and more robust build quality, conformance to worldwide EMI/RFI emissions and safety standards and such.

Jdunk54nl

The Hypex modules' performance capabilities are well documented, so I would expect that this amp would be no different. I think the difference would probably be things like better and more robust build quality, conformance to worldwide EMI/RFI emissions and safety standards and such.
and 5 year warranty.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

tjcinnamon

They have 252's but the wattage is 100W for 8Ohms? Any ideas why?

VTV Nord and the like are 200W

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
They have 252's but the wattage is 100W for 8Ohms? Any ideas why?
Could be they're honest and would rather see "exceeded its power specification" than "failed to meet his power specification" in reviews. ;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Do the VTV, Buckeye, and Nord fail to meet power spec's?
All such amplifiers have in common that they use the same modules, and the power capabilities will be the same on all.

Top Bottom