• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 232 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 187 39.2%

• Total voters

formula 977

There is however good news if you use the App and output over Toslink:

Wiim Mini Measurement Toslink Streamer Android Bluetooth.png

Can anyone tell me what is being measured here?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
FWIW, it’s possible to “Roonify” this device by running the same software that LMS uses, but standalone, on your Roon server or anywhere else in your network. Until, that is, WiiM adds Roon support (or Roon adds this bridge - Roon’s lack of UPnP support is baffling to me).

Last edited:

Brown Sound

Wow, that was a HUGE read for a simple review!!:oops: The minute I saw Amir's conclusion, I knew there was going to be trouble and y'all didn't disappoint. I won't be buying a WiiM and BTW I do have Roon. I already have four CCA's boxed and unused. I currently use a RPi4 (RoPieeeXL) with a DAC hat as a DLNA renderer and a Roon endpoint. Thank you @amirm for your reviews.

JSmith

Master Contributor
A 1kHz sine is being streamed to the Wiim via it's app and the optical output is being measured by the AP... all in the digital domain still, no DAC.

JSmith

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Input seems to be a high bitrate digital signal, output is digital signal via toslink, then DAC conversion by the measurement instrument.
It shows that a high bitrate signal is not reencoded to a low bitrate signal, which is good. This seems to measure more of the measurement instrument than the WiiM, which, again, is good.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
  • Google account
  • Amazon account
  • Cloud storage accounts
A proper implementation would make a restricted token to access music services only, without transmitting passwords to the device. Some services would always be controlled by an external device, usually a mobile app in the way of the original Chromecast. In these cases the streamer would get a time-limited token for that session only.
This device doesn't support Youtube Music, does it? Which service would need a Google account.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
A proper implementation would make a restricted token to access music services only, without transmitting passwords to the device. Some services would always be controlled by an external device, usually a mobile app in the way of the original Chromecast. In these cases the streamer would get a time-limited token for that session only.
This device doesn't support Youtube Music, does it? Which service would need a Google account.
As I’ve only recently posted on the other long WiiM mini thread, it looks like the device does store an authentication token since I loaded the AudioCast app for a similar/clone device and it found my WiiM mini and its music service connections.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1159798

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about Google Music.
Where do you get the app for your phone? The app could use a vulnerability to get your phone number. Send and receive texts. Write and read files and databases in your phone.

I could give 100 further things that need to be checked/changed before one could say "this device is secure", and even then someone else could come up with another 100 things. The manufacturers do what they can to hide all the complexity, but it is there.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
No YouTube Music does not recognize the WiiM. . Google password not required on any service I'maware of.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The main difference is that Chromecast Audio is unstable and glitchy.
+1…and a jitter monster if not using ROON as a source.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
+1…and a jitter monster if not using ROON as a source.
If one doesn't care about gapless playback CCA optical output is certainly acceptable . And there are apps that recognize the CCA which don't see the WiiM (eg, YouTube Music, Apple Music via Android).

Tangband

Major Contributor
If one doesn't care about gapless playback CCA optical output is certainly acceptable . And there are apps that recognize the CCA which don't see the WiiM (eg, YouTube Music, Apple Music via Android).
Do you think this looks acceptable ?
I think it looks terrible .
The trouble goes away with ROON . Its still an unstable and glitchy unit. There are better options today ( Rpi4 and WiiM ) in this low pricerange .
1F9D0A5D-6015-4C2E-B1FA-DB62A431508A.jpeg

morillon

Major Contributor
I do not understand well.
this wiim has 100dollars, for the general public, seems correct in analog.
seems very well exploitable in toslink followed by a little dac etc.
Personally seems to me more stable in wifi than the little "obsolete" chromecast...
the "oem" software in "becoming", we can hope that it will improve, but can also easily be used with other dlna software.
roon can be to come .... but good does not seem to me related to these little products at low cost and general public

(personally in a more concrete way allows me to finally use deezer in flac by their application, even if simplified.. while eternal problems with the chromecast etc...!!!)

I hope that you will continue the efforts to improve the firmware and software of course...

already a nice news that is not disappointing on the measurements side!
;-)

ps
it seems that you just have to not use the google software ... and that the options like bbubble hificast etc make the chromecast work very well ... as shown in a second temp amir
;-)
end for me ;-)
ps
it may be the confrontation with another newcomer, certainly from the same factory, same software etc ... audiocast pro m50 which will be interesting, ethernet more...
the fight is likely to be important in the future in this price range
efforts on the hardware side? ;-)

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Do you think this looks acceptable ?
I think it looks terrible .
The trouble goes away with ROON . Its still an unstable and glitchy unit. There are better options today ( Rpi4 and WiiM ) in this low pricerange .
View attachment 201164

That's using the Chrome browser cast function (which there is no reason to use). Other apps, not just Roon are fine.

I've spent a lot of time here arguing in favor of the WiiM but there are use cases where the CCA is a better option (YouTube Music, Apple Music on Android). Glitchwise, I've had no issues using the CCA in my bedroom and guest room systems. I'll probably replace them with WiiM but no hurry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-080035.png
    Screenshot_20220420-080035.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The main difference is that Chromecast Audio is unstable and glitchy.

That's not been my experience at all. I've had 7 set up for years with there very rarely being an issue. I bought a bunch at the $15 closeout price, so I'd never run out, and they are perfect for what I use them for.

It has limitations that are irrelevant to me as a roon user.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I have found my Chromecast Audio to be more stable and less glitchy than the Wiim Mini. The software isn't great for browsing my DLNA music server.
Yeah at this point being able to enqueue only one album at a time via the network server (using the WiiM app) is my biggest beef with the app. Hopefully they'll get to it

Top Bottom