• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition: a report

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any BACCH users know if there are separate Intel and M1 binaries? I will be removing BACCH from my Intel Mac Mini tomorrow and installing it on my new Mac Studio....

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Theoretica Appl. Physics, are there plans to make this technology more accessible – the software, specially? I would love to have it, but unfortunately the price is waaaay beyond the reach of the majority of us.

Thanks!
I use the intro version which is far more affordable. It’s superb and makes it hard to imagine how much better the full version could be. I am yet to be convinced that the full version could possibly be worth the significant increase in price - the only thing that tempts me is the head tracking which would be really nice to have

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any BACCH users know if there are separate Intel and M1 binaries? I will be removing BACCH from my Intel Mac Mini tomorrow and installing it on my new Mac Studio....
So does it run on both the Intel and the Apple Silicon Mac Minis? I seem to remember it sold with an I7 version of the MacMini which would indicate it was originally designed to run on Intel which is unsurprising considering how long it's been out there. But did they update it when Apple started rolling their own?

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So does it run on both the Intel and the Apple Silicon Mac Minis? I seem to remember it sold with an I7 version of the MacMini which would indicate it was originally designed to run on Intel which is unsurprising considering how long it's been out there. But did they update it when Apple started rolling their own?
Yes, they did. It reportedly runs very well on M1 Macs.

Just trying to find out if it's a separate download.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question to anyone who has switched machines with BACCH4Mac: Did you have to do anything other than request an activation code through the app (and wait to receive it via email)?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also do not understand why they package the Babyface with the upgraded package. As far as I can see, Babyface is just a garden variety audio interface, and I already own one in the Motu M4. What exactly does the Babyface do that's so integral to the operation of the system, and could not any other interface likewise do the same thing? Obviously, not having to buy a Babyface would reduce the cost of the package by a $1000, so that would make it a more reasonable purchase, particularly if you knew where to get a Mac Mini for cheap.

kthulhutu

Even on this site, I think only one or two members use this software. Moreover, there are virtually no reviews, and none of the few reviews provide any measurements which indicate exactly what this software is doing, how it's going about it, and whether it's a good idea to do what it's doing in the first place.

Until all that happens, I'm not at all convinced this is anything more than a very expensive sound effect.
You should start by reading Optimal Crosstalk Cancellation for Binaural Audio with Two Loudspeakers

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
I also do not understand why they package the Babyface with the upgraded package. As far as I can see, Babyface is just a garden variety audio interface, and I already own one in the Motu M4. What exactly does the Babyface do that's so integral to the operation of the system, and could not any other interface likewise do the same thing? Obviously, not having to buy a Babyface would reduce the cost of the package by a $1000, so that would make it a more reasonable purchase, particularly if you knew where to get a Mac Mini for cheap.
You don’t have to buy the babyface. I bought one separately anyway because of three reasons:
- it provides a very good AD conversion so I can apply BACCH to my turntable
- the BACCH software “talks” to RME totalmix, so I don’t have to mess around with setting up loopbacks etc (too technical for me)
- at some point if I do upgrade, it has the suitable connections for mic inputs.

of course I think the Motu can probably do all of those things and I suspect if you ask the team at BACCH they’d help you set it up.
As for the macmimi, I bought one second-hand in good condition for a decent saving.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question to anyone who has switched machines with BACCH4Mac: Did you have to do anything other than request an activation code through the app (and wait to receive it via email)?
Still awaiting an activation code for the Mac Studio, so I am not yet able to test it with head tracking.

However, I note that the Mac Studio is loud. Really loud. Fan noise is audible in my very quiet listening room from 20 feet away. I have an enclosed cabinet in which I can put the Mac Studio, but unless there is an immense performance benefit in BACCH4Mac, I will be returning it and sticking with my 2012 i7 Mac Mini.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Still awaiting an activation code for the Mac Studio, so I am not yet able to test it with head tracking.

However, I note that the Mac Studio is loud. Really loud. Fan noise is audible in my very quiet listening room from 20 feet away. I have an enclosed cabinet in which I can put the Mac Studio, but unless there is an immense performance benefit in BACCH4Mac, I will be returning it and sticking with my 2012 i7 Mac Mini.
Why would you expect the Mac Studio to improve the performance of BACCH?

kthulhutu

I assume he meant a latency improvement, thus far I've had low enough latency to play non-competitive games with just the 8GB Mac Mini running an additional EQ plugin and GLM so I'm not sure why people are going out buying Mac studios really.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If this were a paid subscription license, I wonder if they'd make more money. I've wanted to try it, but with their hardware it's cost prohibitive and I'd feel better buying the Polk L800 speakers that are trying to do something similar if I understand it correctly.

OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the software's capabilities have increased, it feels a tad sluggish on the 2012 Mac Mini. Not expecting any increase in audio quality on the Mac Studio, just a more responsive UI experience.

Prof Choueiri called this morning to get me activated, and I will test the software on the Mac Studio tonight.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you are thinking of switching your BACCH installation to a new machine, I can walk you through the process. I thought I had it all nailed down but overlooked a few steps (almost all related to the RME Totalmix app) and spent almost three hours getting it running.

Will report on any performance differences later this week.

onion

I'd definitely recommend the M1 Mac mini if the Mac Studio is too loud. Completely silent. The M1 download was separate to the Intel download but the installation process afterwards identical.

onion

Even on this site, I think only one or two members use this software. Moreover, there are virtually no reviews, and none of the few reviews provide any measurements which indicate exactly what this software is doing, how it's going about it, and whether it's a good idea to do what it's doing in the first place.

Until all that happens, I'm not at all convinced this is anything more than a very expensive sound effect.
They have a research website that collates some of their published work

3D3A Labs

kthulhutu

I'd definitely recommend the M1 Mac mini if the Mac Studio is too loud. Completely silent. The M1 download was separate to the Intel download but the installation process afterwards identical.
Agree, M1 Mac Mini is silent as a whisper and makes my main PC envious. I think it's time to look into a new build :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don’t have to buy the babyface. I bought one separately anyway because of three reasons:
- it provides a very good AD conversion so I can apply BACCH to my turntable
- the BACCH software “talks” to RME totalmix, so I don’t have to mess around with setting up loopbacks etc (too technical for me)
- at some point if I do upgrade, it has the suitable connections for mic inputs.

of course I think the Motu can probably do all of those things and I suspect if you ask the team at BACCH they’d help you set it up.
As for the macmimi, I bought one second-hand in good condition for a decent saving.
I sent Theoretica an email over a week ago inquiring about this very thing--could I buy the Audiophile package without the Babyface, annndddd.....Crickets. Apparently no one has deigned to reply to my inquiry. Nice.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
I sent Theoretica an email over a week ago inquiring about this very thing--could I buy the Audiophile package without the Babyface, annndddd.....Crickets. Apparently no one has deigned to reply to my inquiry. Nice.
I had an issue a few months ago where for some reason they were not getting my emails. Possibly a similar issue. Have you tried to contact Edgar directly

Top Bottom