• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hey guys - got maybe a basic question for you on the M33. I picked one up not too long ago, paired with some Focal Aria 936 towers, and plugged into two SVS SB1000 subs. I've found with this setup, the sub volume was pretty low. I maxed the volume on the subs, and also had to play with the 3 PEQ bands on each sub to increase the level of output to be complimentary to the Focal towers. I read some pages back about people having issues with auto-turn on from the 1.1v output of the sub preouts. Is there some way to fix this? Or boost the line output some way? I find it odd that with 2 subs with a decent amount of power is unable to match the output volume for volume between the towers and subs.
Anyone else had any issues like this? Thoughts?

My only real solution I could come up with is get a higher power set of subs, but that seems like a poor solution.
More sensitive subs, not higher power. But what I did was put a fixed 6dB (2x) gain stage between the sub outs and the amp feeding my subs. If you have an old preamp laying around (or in my case, a miniDSP 2x4 that the NAD obsoleted), that will work great. If you're handy, just a couple of flat noninverting aps fabbed from a couple opamps will do great.

mattyjman

More sensitive subs, not higher power. But what I did was put a fixed 6dB (2x) gain stage between the sub outs and the amp feeding my subs. If you have an old preamp laying around (or in my case, a miniDSP 2x4 that the NAD obsoleted), that will work great. If you're handy, just a couple of flat noninverting aps fabbed from a couple opamps will do great.
Thanks SIY - that's an interesting take, one I didn't know was possible. Essentially boosting the line output correct? I am handy, but knowing how to stitch the couple caps and opamps into a solution is probably beyond me in this case. Any out of the box solutions I should look out for, or is this something that has to be custom fabbed. Alternatively, in looking at the miniDSP, 100 bucks isn't much to solve the problem. Seems like a lot of tech for seemingly simple need though.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks SIY - that's an interesting take, one I didn't know was possible. Essentially boosting the line output correct? I am handy, but knowing how to stitch the couple caps and opamps into a solution is probably beyond me in this case. Any out of the box solutions I should look out for, or is this something that has to be custom fabbed. Alternatively, in looking at the miniDSP, 100 bucks isn't much to solve the problem. Seems like a lot of tech for seemingly simple need though.
Yeah, that's why I grabbed a miniDSP, I just didn't have the time to build something custom. But really, any used preamp will work. Set it for 6dB gain, then forget about it.

mattyjman

Yeah, that's why I grabbed a miniDSP, I just didn't have the time to build something custom. But really, any used preamp will work. Set it for 6dB gain, then forget about it.
awesome! thanks for the quick help. AND over the last few days I've pretty much combed through this whole thread. Thanks for your time and contribution - lots of great info here!

Reactions: SIY

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys - got maybe a basic question for you on the M33. I picked one up not too long ago, paired with some Focal Aria 936 towers, and plugged into two SVS SB1000 subs. I've found with this setup, the sub volume was pretty low. I maxed the volume on the subs, and also had to play with the 3 PEQ bands on each sub to increase the level of output to be complimentary to the Focal towers. I read some pages back about people having issues with auto-turn on from the 1.1v output of the sub preouts. Is there some way to fix this? Or boost the line output some way? I find it odd that with 2 subs with a decent amount of power is unable to match the output volume for volume between the towers and subs.
Anyone else had any issues like this? Thoughts?

My only real solution I could come up with is get a higher power set of subs, but that seems like a poor solution.
I had an M33 and my two subs would not come on until the volume was cranked way up. I don't understand the pitiful sub output from such a pricey unit and ended up returning it. However, i was told that I could use a Y splitter to allow you to plug into both the L and R inputs of your sub and this apparently doubles the voltage into your sub(s). I'm not 100% on this so perhaps someone could verify. cheers

pogo

Major Contributor
Thoughts?
I would already avoid the M33 subwoofer function for the reason of the not yet fixed distortion problem, because even the temporary fix Tone Control = ON reduces the max output power. Simply connect the subwoofers via the pre-outs of the M33, there you have a higher output voltage, and adjust the necessary settings directly at the subwoofers.

mattyjman

I would already avoid the M33 subwoofer function for the reason of the not yet fixed distortion problem, because even the temporary fix Tone Control = ON reduces the max output power. Simply connect the subwoofers via the pre-outs of the M33, there you have a higher output voltage, and adjust the necessary settings directly at the subwoofers.
Will Dirac manage those outputs as well? or are those outside of the DSP?

pogo

Major Contributor
I have a passive stereo sub and for me it works necessarily without problems. The whole thing is then seen as two full-range loudspeakers.

mattyjman

I have a passive stereo sub and for me it works necessarily without problems. The whole thing is then seen as two full-range loudspeakers.
Ok, I'm gathering then that you meant the second set of speaker outputs. Not the two preamp outputs (left/right) RCA's. I'm using powered subs as mentioned, so that obviously won't work here. If I'm misunderstanding here, please clarify. But if DSP is not applied on the preamp outputs (RCA's) then it kinda defeats the purpose of DIRAC with subwoofers. That becomes an unreasonable solution.

pogo

Major Contributor
For me, DL also works via the pre-outs and the headphone output, but not via bluetooth. Just try it out ;)

Odradek

I am using it with 2 SVS 3000 Micro with both sub outputs, and when level matching in Dirac both subs ended up at around -20 db so it seems that the output is ok for them, unless I am missing something!

Odradek

I wrote to NAD support asking about bass control, as they have not changed the marketing in their page and it still reads "The M33 also supports Dirac’s advanced ‘Bass Control"" and they replied with this:

Hello Bruno,

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Crew.

"The M33 also supports Dirac’s advanced ‘Bass Control’*" You will notice that there is an asterisk at the end of the quote. The asterisk then leads to this quote "*Some features will be available via a future software update". Unfortunately that software update has not been released yet.

We apologize for the undue delay regarding bass control with DIRAC. Please be assured as we are currently working with DIRAC to implement their Bass Control module into our products. They are an excellent partner and are mutually excited about our implementation.

Unfortunately, our schedule was affected greatly due to emergency measures put in place by The Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario to stop the spread of COVID-19. This resulted in our staff being migrated to a work-from-home model as we were no longer able to access some of our test facilities at our corporate headquarters just outside of Toronto. Though our development team was able to continue working on the software and firmware, our quality assurance team was no longer able to effectively test their results.

Through an easing of Emergency Measures along with some creative ways, our QA Teams have been able to test in their home offices and we are slowly getting back on track. We hope to provide an updated timeline and get the much anticipated Dirac Bass Control system out to the C658, M33, M10, and other NAD 2 channel Dirac capable products as quickly as possible.

For more information about firmware updates, new products, or other great news, please Follow Us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/nadelectronics, Like us on Twitter @NADElectronics or sign up to our e-mail News Letter at www.nadelectronics.com, scroll to the bottom and click the Newsletter link.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but again thank you for your patience.

Thanks for choosing NAD Electronics, HEART+SOUL You Can Hear.

Stay safe and be well during these difficult times.

Kellie S.

The NAD Electronics Support Crew

So I guess there is still hope, I can't wait to try it!!

pogo

Major Contributor
Hopefully, after this update, the distortion problem will be a thing of the past;)

steveoat87

Has anyone been able to get the MDC HDM-2 module to work in their M33. I have tried two different HDM-2 units, in each slot, and none of them work. By the way, the USB MDC module works fine so I know its not a problem with the slot. I had a bad experience with NAD support in which they told me to find the HDMI drivers for the M32 and try to flash the firmware with them. The problems is that the USB service port for the M33 is non-standard (USB B connector) and I don't have a flash drive with a USB B connector. When I told this to support, they told me to try the other USB port which I know wouldn't work and it didn't. When I told them this, they told me to take it to NAD service center. Of course, I was very disappointed with support. I asked for remote technical log in, which other vendors have done, but they wouldn't do this. Reluctant to go to a service center due to COVID. However, this all seems crazy to me since I have a NAD C368 with HDMI module and it works fine -- no need to upgrade any drivers. What would you suggest I do?

pogo

Major Contributor
Has anyone been able to get the MDC HDM-2 module to work in their M33.
It works for me without any problems. Which BluOS version do you have on the M33? Have you ever done a factory reset? An update via USB is not really necessary. Simply connect to the network.

steveoat87

I have the latest BluOS version and recently updated . Will try to do a factory reset and see if this helps. Thanks.

steveoat87

It works for me without any problems. Which BluOS version do you have on the M33? Have you ever done a factory reset? An update via USB is not really necessary. Simply connect to the network.
I tried the factory reset and still no luck. Hard to believe I have two bad cards. Once again, the USB Module works fine so something is funny. Any other thoughts?

pogo

Major Contributor
I guess that's all to it:
Link

Under Source Setup on the M33 you don't see any other HDMI entries either?

Top Bottom