• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some big commercial amps we make only run on 240V, but it is impractical to demand that a home user re-wire their outlets just to use the product.
I don't know, when some customers buy tens of thousands in gear, let alone those million dollar home cinema rooms, what is a couple of hours for an electrician to pass some cables and a circuit breaker?
Sorry for the off topic, back to Monolith amp.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't know, when some customers buy tens of thousands in gear, let alone those million dollar home cinema rooms, what is a couple of hours for an electrician to pass some cables and a circuit breaker?
Sorry for the off topic, back to Monolith amp.
I don't know for sure, but I believe the modules in the Monoprice amp are AC voltage agnostic like most amps which have switching power supplies. That would have to be checked out with them however.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they are. No need to add a switch or use 2 inlets, just a warning "full power to be obtained by using 220V" or so would do.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not have an electrician install a 220V outlet dedicated for the amp?
Money. L'argent. お金. Dinero.
You'd spend more than what a lot of amplifiers cost. The flip side is that if you're spending huge $$$ on the amp, then it seems foolish not to do some electrical. Then again maybe amps aren't set up like that if for sale in the USA??
Pithy saying #1: Con dinero baila el perro.
Pithy saying #2: Una vez al año no hace daño

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, did I miss the part about the power supplies in these units?
It has a direct wormhole connection to the Einstein Cross Quasar. Glad to answer any other questions you have, fire away! :p

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The crest factor of music and movies is such that full power on any channel is a 100 millisecond affair ? Or something like that and does not very likely happen in all channels at the same time .
The "all channels" thing is a particular bugaboo of mine. Of course surround channels on average carry little power, but a lot of action movies have scenes that sure seem to peak loud in all channels at once. In some thread, a guy who actually mixes cinema said something about Dolby standards requiring allowance to have all channels peak at once (badly paraphrased but the gist was you SHOULD expect all channels can peak at once. Of what time duration are those peaks, yes a very interesting question as well.

Both questions are crying out for modern data, not old wives tales from days of yore and matrixed surround. I wonder what kind of tools are needed to analyze that.

pfgiv

It's so infuriating to go on their website and still see this

Out of Stock ETA: 12/31/2022

Out of stock? It was never IN stock!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Availability may just be worse due to supply chain issues. Am waiting to build a custom Purifi amp due to long lead time on the Hypex SMPS.

The Technics SB-C600 speaker that was supposed to be available here last year is still out-of-stock too.

Would be nice to get more information than the usual "out-of-stock".

pfgiv

Rick + Rick - I understand both points. Monoprice had a live stream talking about their new products, and they said the amp should be available in 2-3 weeks. That was in October 2021. How can they be that far off? No one knew there would be this huge delay that would take another year and 2 months (maybe less)? Would be nice if they let people know why. Doesn't look good for the brand, JMO.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rick + Rick - I understand both points. Monoprice had a live stream talking about their new products, and they said the amp should be available in 2-3 weeks. That was in October 2021. How can they be that far off? No one knew there would be this huge delay that would take another year and 2 months (maybe less)? Would be nice if they let people know why. Doesn't look good for the brand, JMO.
This has been the case on a lot of things, the htp-1 is the same and no updates when they will be back in stock either.

Frustrating as it is, a lot of companies are doing the same mainly because they don't exactly know when things will be in stock and ready.

pfgiv

This has been the case on a lot of things, the htp-1 is the same and no updates when they will be back in stock either.

Frustrating as it is, a lot of companies are doing the same mainly because they don't exactly know when things will be in stock and ready.
It's not the same. The HTP-1 was released over a year ago, and if it is out of stock, then it is out of stock. There was an ability to purchase an HTP-1 at one point.

Monoprice had a stream reviewing new product to be ready for sale in a couple of weeks, then has no availability time frame. These are not comparable out of stock situations. They had to know there would be some issue regarding something causing this delay. Saying they would be ready for sale in 2 weeks was irresponsible.

Jdunk54nl

It's not the same. The HTP-1 was released over a year ago, and if it is out of stock, then it is out of stock. There was an ability to purchase an HTP-1 at one point.

Monoprice had a stream reviewing new product to be ready for sale in a couple of weeks, then has no availability time frame. These are not comparable out of stock situations. They had to know there would be some issue regarding something causing this delay. Saying they would be ready for sale in 2 weeks was irresponsible.
Ok, we can agree to disagree. But you seem angry over this. Something must have come up or they would have been available already. Lots of items on their website are the same way with 12/31/2022 available dates. It is what it is, no sense in getting angry over it since we can't do anything about it.

pfgiv

Ok, we can agree to disagree. But you seem angry over this. Something must have come up or they would have been available already. Lots of items on their website are the same way with 12/31/2022 available dates. It is what it is, no sense in getting angry over it since we can't do anything about it.
Nothing to disagree about. The two scenarios are not equivalent. That's on you.

I'm not angry. I just think it's in poor taste of the company to announce a product with a release date of 2-3 weeks, then go silent on the product. It's not possible that someone in the company was unable to predict the product would not be able to be available for a minimum of 5 months (since that's where it stands today).

You keep bringing up the other items on the website not being available either. As I already mentioned, these are not equivalent scenarios. Current product goes out of stock from time to time. That is, of course, understandable. A brand new product that is announced, and marketed to the public as available in 2-3 weeks, then has nothing for 5 months, is different than current in stock items. You're telling me that they couldn't source components, or the case production is delayed? If they are announcing something to be available in 2 weeks, that means the products are built, tested, ready to go. 2-3 weeks is well past production stage.

Imagine if you will, you hire someone to build a shed in 3 weeks. Build day arrives and they call you to postpone because all the plywood sold out. Understandable. What if the plywood wasn't sold out and the person explains to you they can't do it for another 5 months because they need to learn how to use power tools first, so maybe by the end of the year.

You are right though, it is what it is. And this is the largest (as far as I can tell) thread on the internet regarding this amp, so it seems like the most applicable medium to discuss anything relating to the amp. Someone at the company had to tell someone that these would be ready in 2-3 weeks, or Hobie made it up on his own. Either way, someone was negligent or irresponsible, and it doesn't speak well for the company in my opinion.

Jdunk54nl

Nothing to disagree about. The two scenarios are not equivalent. That's on you.

I'm not angry. I just think it's in poor taste of the company to announce a product with a release date of 2-3 weeks, then go silent on the product. It's not possible that someone in the company was unable to predict the product would not be able to be available for a minimum of 5 months (since that's where it stands today).

You keep bringing up the other items on the website not being available either. As I already mentioned, these are not equivalent scenarios. Current product goes out of stock from time to time. That is, of course, understandable. A brand new product that is announced, and marketed to the public as available in 2-3 weeks, then has nothing for 5 months, is different than current in stock items. You're telling me that they couldn't source components, or the case production is delayed? If they are announcing something to be available in 2 weeks, that means the products are built, tested, ready to go. 2-3 weeks is well past production stage.

Imagine if you will, you hire someone to build a shed in 3 weeks. Build day arrives and they call you to postpone because all the plywood sold out. Understandable. What if the plywood wasn't sold out and the person explains to you they can't do it for another 5 months because they need to learn how to use power tools first, so maybe by the end of the year.

You are right though, it is what it is. And this is the largest (as far as I can tell) thread on the internet regarding this amp, so it seems like the most applicable medium to discuss anything relating to the amp. Someone at the company had to tell someone that these would be ready in 2-3 weeks, or Hobie made it up on his own. Either way, someone was negligent or irresponsible, and it doesn't speak well for the company in my opinion.
Alright, I will tell you what you want to hear. You are right, I am wrong. They aren't the same. Strawman arguments and all.

This is not worth arguing over at all.
Have a great day.

pfgiv

Alright, I will tell you what you want to hear. You are right, I am wrong. They aren't the same. Strawman arguments and all.

Have a great day.
I was merely pointing out your false equivalency since it seemed to elude you, twice.

KMM

There have been serious supply chain issue from 2020 onward and it is getting worse by the week in particular when it comes to certain AV chips. We can't get Siemens standard components for industrial equipment and have to postpone large-scale industrial projects. So my guess is that many companies are facing similar issues and only a few are transparent about it.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
There are other things which can delay a product, including unexpected parts unavailability, vendor issues unrelated to parts, regulatory compliance issues, or other even more mundane things. The impact of these can be easy to critique for somebody who has no manufacturing experience and has no knowledge of what is confronting the manufacturer. I would urge patience, since there's no reason for them to hold product back unless there is a valid reason, and I'm sure they have better things to do than address holdups on every product in their vast lineup.

pfgiv

There have been serious supply chain issue from 2020 onward and it is getting worse by the week in particular when it comes to certain AV chips. We can't get Siemens standard components for industrial equipment and have to postpone large-scale industrial projects. So my guess is that many companies are facing similar issues and only a few are transparent about it.
I don't mean to come off as crass, but I wonder if people are just trolling me, or if my point is not being understood.

Using your example, would your company, knowing they can't get the Siemens components, announce a new project to begin or be completed in 3 weeks (or any unrealistic time frame)? It seems logical that if you knew there was a supply chain issue, you would not, or you would set a realistic date to begin, or complete the project.

Hobie says "brand new product, available in 2-3 weeks". There's no benefit in doing so if it's not going to be available. These aren't crowd funded amps. There's no pre-order. There's no financial benefit for them being announced as available in 2-3 weeks, if they will not be available for a year.

At the end of the day, none of this discussion matters as it will not make the amp more readily available. Some in this thread just want to die on their hill of false equivalency to place no blame on Monoprice. Whoever gave the green light to say the amps would be available in 2-3 weeks is squarely to blame for an unrealistic time frame, regardless if it is component related, production related, styrofoam packing related, cardboard shipping box related, etc. All of this would have been ordered and delivered and built well before Hobie said 2-3 weeks in the video. That's my only point.

Top Bottom