• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

radix

Major Contributor
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an SHD. Is there a preferred source here in the US? I was set to pay the extra $15 to order from Deer Creek Audio then did a last minute search here and came across the negative experience referred to 5-6 pages back.

Should I just order direct from miniDSP? Or are there support issues that go back to the manufacturer? Not looking to get a headache should something go wrong. I haven't found any products that can compete with the SHD's feature set and specs, but $1300 is still a lot of money (to me at least) and it's not worth it if the manufacturer/retailer won't stand behind the product.

edit - Upon reading back further, this may be a can of worms I do not want to open.
I ordered my SHD direct from the minidsp website. Everything went very well.

I have bought a few accessories from Deer Creek and had no problems whatsoever with them.

The main difference is if you buy it directly from minidsp, the DIRAC is auto-registered. If you buy it from Deer Creek, they give you a registration code. It's really not much of a hassle or difference.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an SHD. Is there a preferred source here in the US? I was set to pay the extra $15 to order from Deer Creek Audio then did a last minute search here and came across the negative experience referred to 5-6 pages back.

Should I just order direct from miniDSP? Or are there support issues that go back to the manufacturer? Not looking to get a headache should something go wrong. I haven't found any products that can compete with the SHD's feature set and specs, but $1300 is still a lot of money (to me at least) and it's not worth it if the manufacturer/retailer won't stand behind the product.

edit - Upon reading back further, this may be a can of worms I do not want to open.

The negative experience you mention was unfortunate.

However, I feel I need to balance things up. I bought directly from miniDSP. I’ve always had prompt and excellent after sales support from miniDSP, although I’ve never had to send my SHD back to to Hong Kong.

Also, I’m sure miniDSP would not want a repeat of the bad publicity they got due to said incident.

nothingman

AFAICT, there was one very loud unhappy customer; even the best vendors get an occasional bad review.

That was me. Indeed, I was unhappy, and I became quite loud when they totally screwed me and arrived here to spout mischaracterizations. I would hope any of you would do the same, because their conduct was a disgrace and we should back each other up. It’s only because of the public shaming they got here did they do the right thing. That’s much different than a single customer with a “bad review,” and I’ll note, I was far from the only one suggesting they found miniDSP extremely frustrating to deal with when the topic first came up.

On the question asked by @Epos7 : if you’re going to give them your money, then I vote for doing so to miniDSP directly. When something goes wrong (and those who haven’t had something go wrong can’t speak to this), the only thing Deer Creek Audio provides is a middle man with an additional layer of excuses, penny-pinching, and in my case, half-assed repair work. They do not have anything resembling a normal manufacturer-dealer relationship. They are not your advocate, and they are not on your side. Even after miniDSP cleared the way for a replacement on my bad unit, Deer Creek Audio tried to pull stunts to make things more difficult and costly for me, their customer. At least if miniDSP eventually does the right thing on a bad unit you work with them directly.

I’ve moved on and you don’t see me dragging this stuff up, but I’ll reply if my story is invoked.

aschen

$1300 is real money and it is perfectly justified to have some concern over product support. I have ordered several minidsp items from them directly (including SHD) and everything has worked as advertised.

I think the expectation for something like the SHD for support is somewhat less than if you buy say something more mass market from crutchfiedl or music direct. You may have to get a bit of troubleshooting with internet help for example. The flexibility and technical nature of the products is both a pro and a con.

Depending on what you want the shd for, there may not even be any mass market options. The NAD pre with dirac and sub integration come closest for me but it has its own issues and is more expensive.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just upgrade the MiniDSP Volumio software that support Roon Ready.,

The Volumio software must be updated, and Roon and the SHD may need a reboot.
The manual is incorrect (reported to MiniDSP). There is no setting to enable.

As a result, I have discovered that the SHD converts all incoming signals to 96 kHz.

I have found that, for whatever reason, Roon sample rate conversion alters the sound.
I set Roon to output all signals to 96 kHz to take advantage of its 64-bit floating point conversion.

- Rich

Attachments

• 1639252535859.png
    1639252535859.png
    513.2 KB · Views: 100

nothingman

So, you’re saying you can hear the difference between sending all content to the SHD in native resolution where it is converted to 32/96, and first converting it via Roon to 64/96 (if I’m understanding you right) and then sending it to the SHD where it is converted a second time to 32/96?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, you’re saying you can hear the difference between sending all content to the SHD in native resolution where it is converted to 32/96, and first converting it via Roon to 64/96 (if I’m understanding you right) and then sending it to the SHD where it is converted a second time to 32/96?

Not sure I am following you.
The SHD supports no higher than 24 bits.
I prefer Roon up-sampling all to 96 kHz since anything else results in the MiniDSP converting to 96 kHz.
Since there must be conversion, I do it in the Roon.

- Rich

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer Roon up-sampling all to 96 kHz since anything else results in the MiniDSP converting to 96 kHz.

- Rich

The ASRC in the SHD will always resample to 96 kHz, even if the input is already 96 kHz.

Just a guess on why you may hear a difference, I've seen resamplers result in pretty significant level differences (>0.5 dB).

Michael

ebslo

Forum Donor

- Rich
Looking over the measurements in the OP, the SINAD and FFT Sectrum of White Noise measurements were done with 44.1kHz input, THD+N Vs Frequency was at 48kHz input, and 32 Tone Input Signal was at 192kHz input. Given the results of those measurements, it is unlikely there is any audible deficiency in the SHD sample rate conversion.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is yes. I assume that the ASRC is on the front end of the DSP to convert everything to the 96 kHz sample rate of the DSP.

Michael

And I should say I am basing this off my understanding of how the 2X4HD operates. Because the 2X4HD has I2S output the manual describes in more detail how the clocking works. Unfortunately the same details are not in the SHD manual but I assume they are similar. It also stands to reason that if you have a USB input and can select a 44.1 kHz sample rate for example there most be something that converts to 96 kHz for the DSP.

Here is the excerpt from the 2X4HD manual.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 6.54.17 PM.png

Michael

Kontrastimies

I’ve got my eyes on second hand shd and it’s from early 2020. Is that the updated version tested in this thread or the previous version with Amirm’s complaints about jitter? When was the fixes introduced? Or, was the jitter issue fixable by software update and it should work just as good as the new ones?

radix

Major Contributor
I’ve got my eyes on second hand shd and it’s from early 2020. Is that the updated version tested in this thread or the previous version with Amirm’s complaints about jitter? When was the fixes introduced? Or, was the jitter issue fixable by software update and it should work just as good as the new ones?

I'm not sure, but if you have the serial number, you could likely ask minidsp. They've been very responsive to my emails before.

Dracumel

Clearly stated on the website (https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd):
NOTE: miniDSP supports only the calibrated UMIK-1/UMIK-2 microphone for Dirac Live calibration. Be sure to leave the UMIK-1 in your order (included by default) if you do not have one of our supported microphones

So now you get to spend $80 USD for the mic, instead of the $50 USD you "saved" by deleting if from the original SHD order (...and now there is another shipping/customs charge).
Guess what , you DON'T need one of their supported microphones, Dirac recognizes all input devices as it should. And guess what else, they took that bolded statement out of their website. Now they strongly recommended it for the reason that other companies fail to calibrate their mics properly.
So claim is Dirac itself recognizes all mic's.
But you have only tested with UMIK-1 (on an unspecified platform).

So no basis that miniDSP/SHD/Dirac combo is not limited to UMIK mics (as specifically called our for by the manufacturer)?

Will be interesting if this or manufacturer claim is incorrect.
After Amir's review their sales must be going crazy, my guess is they follow the forum threads related to their products, very closely and now they try to cover up. Otherwise they wouldn't bother, like they didn't bother yet to inform their retailers. Audiophonics.fr still states that is required. I am surprised after all this hype that no one mention it before. Fan fact: in their Dirac live manual you can see a screenshot with the laptop mic visible on Dirac software (page 25) .

Last edited:

aschen

I leave my shd on most of the time, the oled display is pretty "splotchy" currently I think it is slowly degrading. It still works fine and hard to notice from a couple feet away. However at the device it looks pretty bad. Its only a year or so old

Is this my fault for leaving it constantly powered. I don't care too much if it doesn't get much worse, but a bit disappointing.

Jimshoe

I leave my shd on most of the time, the oled display is pretty "splotchy" currently I think it is slowly degrading. It still works fine and hard to notice from a couple feet away. However at the device it looks pretty bad. Its only a year or so old

Is this my fault for leaving it constantly powered. I don't care too much if it doesn't get much worse, but a bit disappointing.
I had exactly the same problem - exacerbated by not setting the display to dim right down when not in use. Positively, I sent an email to MiniDSP and they send me a new display. Easy to install.

Doug

aschen

I had exactly the same problem - exacerbated by not setting the display to dim right down when not in use. Positively, I sent an email to MiniDSP and they send me a new display. Easy to install.

Doug
That is great to know. Is the new display improved and more immune to this or is it just the nature of the device that you need to dim right away?

Top Bottom