• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perepep

I am looking for an AIO equipment and I really like the dx3 pro plus, but I have read that it is not recommended to use it with low impedance headphones. I intend to use it with my Verum Ones that have an impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 116 db / V. Will it work well or do I start looking for something else?

cybernaut667

Should I be getting this or Sound Blaster AE-9 for the same price ($200-ish in Europe)? (Already have K5 as a dedicated amp but no DAC outside of internal soundcards.)
Soundblaster x Fi HD still serves me to this day, has an akm chip and sounds sweet,
It's a strange product since it has RIAA phono stage input, to digitize your vinyl records and mic in also,
It's a product that after 10 years of production is still on the market, Amir measured it to quite good results to the headphones output If I remember correctly. I'm keeping it as long as it goes, it may drive some active speakers in the future.
It's strange because on the one hand
you have audiophiles and on the other you got PC or console gamers but
essentially an external Sound card and a DAC, they are serving the exact same needs,
Games or music, at this site it's all about sinad and performance, right? It makes no difference what you wanna hear through the machine. It's just sine waves going in at the measurements.
Now I've ordered the topping of this thread as the two worlds collide once more,
'audiophile' to pc components price,
so I think this will be an all time classic too;)
And costs 163 from audiophonics France+ EU shipping.
So you cannot directly compare it to
Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Εσωτερική PCI Express Κάρτα , it costs 299 in Greece,
Also it Is a 7.1 card , most music lovers just want a 2.0, and better to compare to products around 200 euros like Asus strix or Creative-Sound-Blaster-AE-7.

And Anyway, this is about topping
and I'm hoping this DX3 Pro+
( works plug and play in windows 7 professional ?;) it's a good time to build a great sounding, clean system with little money compared to the old times, as others have said already, topping should make hypex nCore or even purifi amps to complete the picture, we got other choices though and that's a very good thing!

*Cihan*

I got my dx3 pro plus. It sounds good. I use it with my mobile phone. However there's a constant buzz, a low frequency hum. Sound level of this hum is always the same no matter I decrease or increase volume. This hum is totally gone when I touch the metal chassis of the dx3 pro+ or metal chassis if my mobile phone. So is this a ground hum? How can I get rid of this? I'm not using an OTG cable. I use a USB hub with hdmi, USB A outputs on it. As long as I touch the metal chassis, amp is dead quiet.

*Cihan*

I got my dx3 pro plus. It sounds good. I use it with my mobile phone. However there's a constant buzz, a low frequency hum. Sound level of this hum is always the same no matter I decrease or increase volume. This hum is totally gone when I touch the metal chassis of the dx3 pro+ or metal chassis if my mobile phone. So is this a ground hum? How can I get rid of this? I'm not using an OTG cable. I use a USB hub with hdmi, USB A outputs on it. As long as I touch the metal chassis, amp is dead quiet.
Everything is perfect now when I plugged in a headphone without mic. I knew I shouldn't use headphone with mic before buying but forgot it.) but what happens when I plug in a headphone with mic?

JRS

Major Contributor
Everything is perfect now when I plugged in a headphone without mic. I knew I shouldn't use headphone with mic before buying but forgot it.) but what happens when I plug in a headphone with mic?
Sounds like a problem with that headset. Does it hum with other gear?

edloko

I apologize for my english.

I got my dx3 pro+ yesterday but i noticed that its get hot after a few minutes/hours of using it. Is it normal?

I used to use a fx-studio x6 (mk1) and it never got "hot".

Toku

Major Contributor
I apologize for my english.

I got my dx3 pro+ yesterday but i noticed that its get hot after a few minutes/hours of using it. Is it normal?

I used to use a fx-studio x6 (mk1) and it never got "hot".
That's normal. DX3 Pro+ has an excellent built-in headphone amplifier, but the heat generated from this part warms the case.

edloko

That's normal. DX3 Pro+ has an excellent built-in headphone amplifier, but the heat generated from this part warms the case.
I was a little bit worried, but now im fine.

Thank you very much! :cool:

alexj84nl

IMHO it's a marriage made in heaven. I can't believe what a bit over 500. buys these days.
Yup, I can confirm the sound is pretty good! Considering the money, really excellent value! One issue, but more Windows related, when using Tidal (exclusive mode on & force volume on) the Windows volume level keeps resetting (to +- 45%) after each song. I just want it to stay on max windows volume. Anyone experienced the same and knows the fix ? (makes no sense, right)

MartinEighty8

Thought I'd email Topping directly and find out what S/PDIF chip is used in the DX3 PRO+.

This was the response:

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

I'm sorry, this is a trade secret and cannot be disclosed. Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Pretty suspect considering they clearly advertise the S/PDIF chip used in their DX3 PRO LDAC as an AKM 4118.

Carlo2AC

Thought I'd email Topping directly and find out what S/PDIF chip is used in the DX3 PRO+.

This was the response:

Pretty suspect considering they clearly advertise the S/PDIF chip used in their DX3 PRO LDAC as an AKM 4118.

"I'm sorry, this is a trade secret and cannot be disclosed. Thank you for your understanding in advance. " now that is some fucking bullshit, trade secret my ass, anyone can pop it open and take a picture of it

Sounds more like "i don't know"

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Finally received my unit, took a month through amazon.se
Works perfectly, and doesn't at all get as hot as L30 to touch. Pairing with the phone through BT was also very easy.

gmoney

Just wanted to confirm no issues with optical in from PS5 using one of those generic adapters from Amazon that converts USB to SPDIF. No stutters or any problems at all.

evam1

Just arrived and the first dissapoint: the number "3" after one hour is as in photo!

Attachments

• 20211213_230205.jpg
    20211213_230205.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 467

Bleib

Major Contributor
Just arrived and the first dissapoint: the number "3" after one hour is as in photo!
Ouch, nothing like that on my unit.

JRS

Major Contributor
"I'm sorry, this is a trade secret and cannot be disclosed. Thank you for your understanding in advance. " now that is some fucking bullshit, trade secret my ass, anyone can pop it open and take a picture of it

Sounds more like "i don't know"
Probably a canned answer for all such requests. I certainly find no breech of responsibility. As you said, if you need to know just open it up.

Top Bottom