• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

nscrivener

How suitable would this be for Sennheiser HD600s? I have an RME Adi-2 which sounds great with these headphones but a second headphone amp/dac could come in handy.

lmmo

How suitable would this be for Sennheiser HD600s? I have an RME Adi-2 which sounds great with these headphones but a second headphone amp/dac could come in handy.
@amirm did test with the HD650 (not very different com the HD600) and said good things about it (see 1st post of the thread, at the end).

Kitarist

How would this compare to E50 L50 Combo in terms of sound quality (resolutions,details...)

Kitarist

How much difference is there in sound between the regular DX3 Pro and this one DX3 Pro + ?
Is there any DAC AMP combo worth buying in the 500-1000 range?

lmmo

How much difference is there in sound between the regular DX3 Pro and this one DX3 Pro + ?
It depends on your headphones.

MartinEighty8

I have a problem.

I purchased the Signstek Mini USB DAC in order to bridge my PS5 with my new DX3 PRO+ (which works perfectly on PC), since PS5 uses UAC1 audio.

I'm using the same headphones on PC & PS5, they're great.

However, after trying different USB cables, different USB ports on the PS5, Optical & Coaxial cables, there is an on & off stutter happening with the audio, that happens anywhere between every second or so to every 30 or more seconds.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a problem.

I purchased the Signstek Mini USB DAC in order to bridge my PS5 with my new DX3 PRO+ (which works perfectly on PC), since PS5 uses UAC1 audio.

I'm using the same headphones on PC & PS5, they're great.

However, after trying different USB cables, different USB ports on the PS5, Optical & Coaxial cables, there is an on & off stutter happening with the audio, that happens anywhere between every second or so to every 30 or more seconds.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

I don't know if this model was affected specifically, but there has been talk in various other Topping threads about problems with the S/PDIF receiving abilities of various new Topping products after they switched to a Cirrus chip following the AKM fire.

To you have any other S/PDIF sources or DACs with S/PDIF that you could use to test and isolate the problem?

Carlo2AC

No audible difference if you can get your headphones already loud enough in the old Pro

MartinEighty8

I don't know if this model was affected specifically, but there has been talk in various other Topping threads about problems with the S/PDIF receiving abilities of various new Topping products after they switched to a Cirrus chip following the AKM fire.

To you have any other S/PDIF sources or DACs with S/PDIF that you could use to test and isolate the problem?
Interesting, I remember reading about this now. I'm going to order the JDS Labs UAC1 Fallback Cable to connect the PS5 directly to my DAC and see if that works & go from there.

N9R

Got a pair of these today - one for speakers, one for headphones!

Very nicely built and, of course, sound is exemplary coming through my Genelecs and Sennheiser HD580

Substantially better for phones than the old Behringer Ultramatch I had been stuck using. Plenty of power too.

JRS

Major Contributor
Have been waiting for my local dealer to have the DX3pro+ in stock, and they have stock since today. Unit should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to pairing with my Hifiman sundara!
(Hifistudio 79 in the Netherlands)
IMHO it's a marriage made in heaven. I can't believe what a bit over 500. buys these days.

JRS

Major Contributor
I am too dumb to understand the manual: how do I get into settings/setup mode when only using the knob?
I doubt it. The manual sucks and after about 30 minutes of head scratching, it occurred to me that the settings can only be accessed when coming to power and that means when plugging in the DC supply which is plugged in to the wall already. Bingo. THe manual could use clarification--in their halfhearted defense, it may be that enough of these devices work the same way, and so it's common knowledge among users familiar with these items--unless of course you are the guy who actually needs to read the manual. :mad: Tech manuals--don't get me started.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, I remember reading about this now. I'm going to order the JDS Labs UAC1 Fallback Cable to connect the PS5 directly to my DAC and see if that works & go from there.

Do those work with non-JDS DACs?

Aizek

I doubt it. The manual sucks and after about 30 minutes of head scratching, it occurred to me that the settings can only be accessed when coming to power and that means when plugging in the DC supply which is plugged in to the wall already. Bingo. THe manual could use clarification--in their halfhearted defense, it may be that enough of these devices work the same way, and so it's common knowledge among users familiar with these items--unless of course you are the guy who actually needs to read the manual. :mad: Tech manuals--don't get me started.
Wow, thank you so much. Honestly this is ridiculous - both regarding the phrasing in the manual and the accessibility.
For anybody wondering - the exact procedure is: pull power supply, put it back in, press and hold the power knob et voila, you're in setup mode. You can do your thing, press and hold the knob again for 8-8 to show and press the knob to save.

Do you know what the dFU-mode is for? Firmware upgrade?

Romis

Today it's shipped out by DHL, but it's not tracking yet... Shall I wait for several days for it to track ?
So I must say, it did not track at all until it arrived at my door :facepalm:

Top Bottom