• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W 800D4 series

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now online:
Thanks for the link.
The waviness of 6.6dB in the important frequency range of 0.2-10kHz is certainly critical for many, but could still be declared as a matter of taste.

Completely out of the question, however, is the fact (should the measurements be correct) that a loudspeaker pair matching with a deviation of 2.2dB around 2-3kHz and 1.5dB on average below 10kHz is disastrous and if you consider the price of the loudspeaker, the result is outrageous.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Completely out of the question, however, is the fact (should the measurements be correct) that a loudspeaker pair matching with a deviation of 2.2dB around 2-3kHz and 1.5dB on average below 10kHz is disastrous and if you consider the price of the loudspeaker, the result is outrageous.
Completely agree. And kudos to HFN for testing this aspect, which of course is vital to the use case, and which isn't tested on some sites.

jkr

The D4's are worse then the D3's and the D3's are worse then the D2's. I think the sweet spot is the D1's. Why do they keep pushing up the top half of the audio spectrum? I sold my D2's, and D3's because of this flaw.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

atsmusic

I know they have flaws also however I can make them totally disappear in the room. Not so much for the newer Diamonds as I tried everything short of re-doing the crossover. The D1's are smother and image way better.
I love my D3s, was just listening to them. Will get a lot of enjoyment out of them I am glad I did not go with the Revels.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
805D4 in German Stereo mag.

805d4.jpg

atsmusic

May I ask what the point of showing all these graphs are? I mean we all know B&W speakers aren't flat. We also know they could make a "better" measuring speaker if they wanted to. Some people will like them and some won't.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the sweet spot is the D1's.

I thought, speaking of B&Ws only, that it was 801/802 Matrix 3. Wasn't that the last flagship line overseen by Lawrence Dickie?

Last edited:

lherrm

May I ask what the point of showing all these graphs are? I mean we all know B&W speakers aren't flat. We also know they could make a "better" measuring speaker if they wanted to. Some people will like them and some won't.
How do you know "B&W speakers aren't flat" (which ones ? by how much ?) if graphs aren't posted ? What's wrong with posting graphs anyway ?

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
May I ask why are you so thick skinned about measurements? This is an audio science forum, objective data is always welcome. Don’t take them personally. This was a very awaited series and people want to know how they hold up vs previous gen or competition.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another video by Sound United...
Posted 1 hr ago...55min long.
The room where they conducted this session was nicely treated. You can tell how short the reverb is. Voices were touch more sibilant and that's probably due to those rear diffusers (maybe mic).
Oh, and yes, the marketing machine is in full effect. Repeat Abbey road and Skywalker studios a thousand times and it will impregnate the subconscious mind. :)

Last edited:

atsmusic

May I ask why are you so thick skinned about measurements? This is an audio science forum, objective data is always welcome. Don’t take them personally. This was a very awaited series and people want to know how they hold up vs previous gen or competition.
No I get that totally. It's just that they have been posted like 100 times in this thread already.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
How do you know "B&W speakers aren't flat" (which ones ? by how much ?) if graphs aren't posted ? What's wrong with posting graphs anyway ?
Every single measurement of B&W loudspeakers I've seen has shown a response that is basically a rollercoaster.
The room where they conducted this session was nicely treated. You can tell how short the reverb is. Voices were touch more sibilant and that's probably due to those rear diffusers (maybe mic).
Oh, and yes, the marketing machine is in full effect. Repeat Abbey road and Skywalker studios a thousand times and it will impregnate the subconscious mind. :)
Don't let the B&W fanboys hear about your marketing comment. They say these studio's use B&W loudspeakers because they are the best. There is no marketing involved.

atsmusic

Every single measurement of B&W loudspeakers I've seen has shown a response that is basically a rollercoaster.

Don't let the B&W fanboys hear about your marketing comment. They say these studio's use B&W loudspeakers because they are the best. There is no marketing involved.

What speaker company doesn't use marketing lol

lherrm

Top Bottom