• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

th0m

No. Never use a mono jack in a try output since it will short one of the balance signals on the output to ground. Use a balanced trs to rca connection.
Thanks. So the wiring should be TRS tip to RCA tip and TRS ring and sleeve to RCA sleeve?

Edit: No, wait... that would have the same effect right? So the TRS ring should simply be left unconnected?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, clearly I gave bad info. I think it is necessary to connect TRS- to shield. Normally I’ve only thought of it in terms of RCA to TRS, not the other way.

Perhaps it makes sense in a TRS to RCA, to only connect the shield at the RCA end?

Or just accept The short to earth via the output impedance of the TRS Output.

Astojab

For Europeans the miniDSP Flexis now listed at Audiophonics for 799€ (RCA) and 899€ (TRS) including the 20% french VAT. Dirac seems to be included. The ETA 15-25 Days, so maybe its even available this year.....

MCH

Major Contributor
The all digital version makes me think.... wouldn't it be better to stream the outputs and just forget about cables?

th0m

Yes, clearly I gave bad info. I think it is necessary to connect TRS- to shield. Normally I’ve only thought of it in terms of RCA to TRS, not the other way.

Perhaps it makes sense in a TRS to RCA, to only connect the shield at the RCA end?

Or just accept The short to earth via the output impedance of the TRS Output.
Looking at this schematic (no. 10), it seems the ring should be kept unconnected.

2e47041e4c5cb253d907abc5ec1599c0.gif

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
This looks like the the product I have been waiting/advocating for some time! :D

Really like the form factor and the functionality. Let's hope the DAC is more of SHD and less of 4x10HD level...

In the meantime I use my Denon AVR also for 2.2 and DSP/DRC but I am eagerly awaiting for the review and measurements

Now lets see some competition in this category to drive the prices down and the value up! We are all fed up with awesome 2 channels DACs (are you with me??), THIS is the new frontier!

rcstevensonaz

Feature request to the miniDSP team: allow the option of MIXING input from the various audio sources, not just SELECTING between the sources.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Balanced Version Ordered!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For Europeans the miniDSP Flexis now listed at Audiophonics for 799€ (RCA) and 899€ (TRS) including the 20% french VAT. Dirac seems to be included. The ETA 15-25 Days, so maybe its even available this year.....
I get the appeal for a stereo system, however, for a bit more money you'll get a complete AVR with 9.2 channels of Dirac soon from Onkyo and Panasonic. It even includes a battery of amps ;)

Sure SINAD will be quite a bit lower, but it will gain you quite a few other things as well. Relatively speaking, I think Dirac is too pricy as a stand-alone or add-on product. Too bad there isn't that much competition out there.

Astojab

I get the appeal for a stereo system, however, for a bit more money you'll get a complete AVR with 9.2 channels of Dirac soon from Onkyo and Panasonic. It even includes a battery of amps ;)

Sure SINAD will be quite a bit lower, but it will gain you quite a few other things as well. Relatively speaking, I think Dirac is too pricy as a stand-alone or add-on product. Too bad there isn't that much competition out there.
For Home cinema no doubt the better choice. But if you listen mostly to stereo, at least the current Onkyo offering seems not ideal judgin by the Onkyo TX-NR7100 with relatively high THD-N with their amp section and low output levels. For me Watching Movies is ok, but I don'Ät have the Romm for a more than 2 speakers, so the Flex is the best option.

Also I think most AVR's have similar specs to the Minidsp DDRC 24 (which is a 2x4 hd with dirac) and that one is half the price.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Finding the Onyko and Pioneer AVRs in stock is really a chore... I feel like we're going to live forever in a chip shortage.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Can’t fit an AVR on my desk, Also AVRs with balanced outs are not so cheap.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I said, for a stereo system it makes sense.

rcstevensonaz

However I might prefer the "Digital version", (no analog output), alluded to in the Specifications
A critical question is if the Digital Version will be a 2x2 or 2x4. With multiple digital outputs, I could more easily use separate high-quality DACs (e.g. 2x Topping E30s or D90s) with one sending lineout to my active speakers and the other DAC sending line out to my subwoofers.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Awesome! Thanks for adding that link. I was only looking at the website and hadn't looking at the briefing document.

Well, it's also mentioned in the Specifications tab ;)

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.34.00 PM.png

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Looking at this schematic (no. 10), it seems the ring should be kept unconnected.

2e47041e4c5cb253d907abc5ec1599c0.gif
Re: Number 10 - Interconnect cables for balanced to unbalanced connections (1/4" TRS to RCA), where the TRS ring is left floating, are surprisingly hard to find. I make my own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom