• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, you beat me to the post and I stand corrected.
I'm very surprised, that's a shame. I just checked on BluRay.com and they say not
only is it just DTS-HD, it's only a 5.1 mix. :(
Not sure why. Maybe it’s like Chris Nolan who also skipped an Atmos mix for a plain DTS-HD mix as well.

I have season 1 on 4K BD. Picture quality is very good. Sound is OK. We have watched half the episodes but lost interest in watching the rest....
S2 doesn’t get more consistent. Since you already own S1, I would just skip to ep S1E10. That will spoil ep9, but ep 9 is only if you like horror genre. If you like fairy tales or a TNG episode like Picard living another life, S1E8.

Then for S2, buy a month of Paramount + and watch S2E1 which is really bad, but pays off later. S2E3, S2E4, S2E8, S2E10.

The musical is the musical. S2E9.

I still think S2E8 is the best episode of the entire two seasons, but it is better when you have some foundational episodes like the fairy tale one in S1, and the episodes I listed.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can stream 4K already, so why?
4k streamed is still compressed. The full 4k files are huge. A 4k Ultra HD bluray can have 100 Gig on it. The streaming rate from this can be 144 Mbps. Other than some expensive specialty streaming services normal internet streaming is well below this rate.

Now I have seen both in a few cases and streaming 4k is mostly indistinguishable from the larger files from a disc. Plus unless you have a huge screen it won't matter anyway.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
4k streamed is still compressed. The full 4k files are huge. A 4k Ultra HD bluray can have 100 Gig on it. The streaming rate from this can be 144 Mbps. Other than some expensive specialty streaming services normal internet streaming is well below this rate.

Now I have seen both in a few cases and streaming 4k is mostly indistinguishable from the larger files from a disc. Plus unless you have a huge screen it won't matter anyway.

Our biggest screen is a 55" TV on the fireplace mantle.

So not very big.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While I wait for Season 3 of SNW, I'm now reliving The Mandorlorian.
Love that baby Yoda character. ;)
I'm really hoping for a Season 4
"This Is The Way"

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While I wait for Season 3 of SNW, I'm now reliving The Mandorlorian.
"This Is The Way"
Grogu. Yes, we all called him Baby Yoda until his name was revealed.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

I was trying to remember the name of the place that does uncompressed streaming for hours, it finally came back to my damaged senior brain, Kaleidescape
The files are so large they can't AFAIK be streamed and viewed in real time and require a very expensive DVR type component besides the expensive service itself. But I guess to those with big home theaters and huge projected screens the costs are acceptable.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting I live in a remote area and have 1080p satellite TV which is very detailed on my OLED TV but when I steam things like amazon prime HDR it is demonstrably sharper.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
KaleidescapeWhile I wait for Season 3 of SNW, I'm now reliving The Mandorlorian.
"This Is The Way"
Grogu-Darksaber-Feature.jpg

Interesting I live in a remote area and have 1080p satellite TV which is very detailed on my OLED TV but when I steam things like amazon prime HDR it is demonstrably sharper.
Very likely one is using heavier compression than the other, they all do it to some extent
With a good TV like yours these things can be detected.
BluRay 4k discs still present the SOTA in a video source, and someone like Kaleidescape I just mentioned above

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't even play physical digital media of any format.

Not only do I have no DVD player, my computers don't even have optical drives.
Exactly why I have upgraded/repaired & babied my Dell 1640 laptop (2011?) & keep it going: play damn near any CD/DVD/Blu Ray of any region (unfortunately not 4K), can operate on any 100v-240V I can plug it into (it has USB 3.0 & HDMI out). Doesn't much matter if I am at a ship at sea, an Island in Oceana or Korea, I can watch/listen to almost any disk ever made on the laptop itself, over powered speakers &/or to anything that accepts an HDMI input (or some other inputs [& can decode various 5.1 surround schemes.
Only the keyboard has some nonfunctional keys but plugging in an external one works. Windows 10 & a 2 terabyte SSD are fine.
At home I use my oPPo 205 UDP that has been made region free. At home I use one of my home stereo systems.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Exactly why I have upgraded/repaired & babied my Dell 1640 laptop (2011?) & keep it going: play damn near any CD/DVD/Blu Ray of any region (unfortunately not 4K), can operate on any 100v-240V I can plug it into (it has USB 3.0 & HDMI out).
Your really rolling the dice there partner. Time for a new lappy me thinks ;)

Owltiger2057

Forum Donor
It's good to know that in the future the act of disobeying a direct order, stealing a fantastically-expensive piece of military hardware and jeopardising the lives of your crew, all just to go help a friend who's in a spot of trouble, will only result in a slap on the wrist. The Captain Dobey reference was pretty spot-on. Maybe one of these days the writers will come up with a script that can't be boiled down to 'a bunch of teenagers (or adults acting like teenagers) save the day by Sticking It to The Man'.
I'm a bit late to the party but just some observations. Every television show has its bad episodes - bar none, and I've been watching Star Trek since the first episode. As for bunch of teenagers, "sticking it to the man." Even in the modern world this happens more often than not. One of my hobbies is the game War Thunder. I cannot even tell you how many times military members have been arrested, court martialed, and discharged, because they "leaked" actual military technical manuals they've stolen to win an argument on the "GAMES" forum, jeopardizing national security of their affected countries (yup, not just in the USA). So, to me it really wasn't that much of a stretch. (BTW, I'm writing this post after Season 2 has ended.)

Owltiger2057

Forum Donor
We actually enjoyed it. On the other hand, we were not applying any high standards looking for some kind of soul enriching dramatic content.
We did learn why Spock took up playing the harp!
Like you, I've completely enjoyed it (I'm writing this long after Season 2 ended). The one thing no one mentioned so far is the new theme (surprising on an audio forum). I went back and watched a modern digital copy of the original Star Trek and then listened to this theme again. It is nice to see how much energy went into making this far superior to Discovery (yechh) and Picard (Garghhhh). lol.

Owltiger2057

Forum Donor
I wonder if the modern audience cares about Star Trek and whether the real and only market is those of us who got hooked by watching the original.
That's an interesting point of view. However, a counterpoint. I started watching Star Trek when it first came out. Then in the lean years (before the first movie) I also read all of the books, many of those authors became writers for STTNG. My kids got into STTNG, but the surprise I got was when my Granddaughter mentioned how much she and her friends liked Strange New Worlds. She is an engineering major at University of Illinois Champagne. I know the original Star Trek got me interested in computers, perhaps the new generation finds other things to attract them to Star Trek. I hated Discovery, tolerated (barely) Picard, but I really have enjoyed SNW. I'm just surprised no one here has mentioned the music in the theme compared to the other scores through the years.

Owltiger2057

Forum Donor
Episode 3. Well that sucked.

What is the deal with avoiding Captain Pike. He and Una are the main characters. They do have a strong supporting cast (other than the horribly cast Uhura). Why avoid that with all these other stories? And the Captain/Lt Kirk. What a milquetoast casting choice that is. Plus the writing for this character is atrocious. Other than the name you would never know this was Captain Kirk of the TOS series. Why is the doctor such a pugilist? Oh and all this in the first few minutes of the episode.

Which of course becomes the lazy writer's trope of time travel. Done well that is excellent, done poorly it is lazy and utterly unsatisfying like in this episode. Of course this Craptain Kirk is not cool under fire or anything. He must rely on the strong female Noonien-Singh to make it thru so hapless is the poor Craptain. He is an bumbling idiot. Unable to handle the cold and a numbskull flummoxed by a 21st century revolving door. Oh how I hate writers given a golden setup who still eff it up. Craptain Kirk also is helpless to shoplift some period correct clothing if not for the quick thinking female he is blessed with. Yeah, this is full of spoilers. So what, I can only save you from watching the wretched episode. The dumbasses cannot even get hot dogs right. Who has a "good" hotdog without any condiments on it (and maybe a beer to wash it down).

Poor Jim would be helpless and hapless if not for the females taking care of him including the SJW female reporter after the stupid chase in the red Dodge. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

These dummies cannot even get tritium in 1980's watches right. TI made some in a digital watch. They show one of these current thick analog watches with supposedly tritium on the hands. While such were made, they did not look like what is shown. Low quality writing. Everything else is in place to be great, but the writing is sophomoric.

So Craptain Kirk eventually succumbs to the high estrogen levels and dies in this episode. Even Khan Noonien_Singh is reduced to a frightened little boy. Captain Pike and Una do have a sub-30 second appearance near the end. I'll stop here as the suckage is tremendous. I don't know if I can watch anymore. Maybe the last Star Trek episode.

I don't suppose the Roddenberry legacy has been defiled as much as the George Lucas Star War's franchise, but it isn't good for either one.
Not to disagree completely....
You have to build the other characters otherwise you end up with 2D characters for an entire show that might last for years. Another thing to consider is that these are not the Kirk, Spock and Uhuru that some of us grew up with. People even in science-fiction need an opportunity to grow, to learn. Ever read any of the biographies of military leaders who were bumbling idiots as lieutenants? Read the original version of the X-15 Diary by Richard Tregaskis and see what a joke Neil Armstrong was (coincidentally, ebooks have edited some of that stuff but I have the 1959 hardcover version). Obviously, the doctor has some issues but then I seem to remember Jeffrey McDonald the Green Beret doctor who killed his family (but they claim was an excellent doctor). As for Kirk vs Noonien-Singh. She survived living on a Gorn planet and is a full time security officer, do you think she might be a little better suited to survival than a bridge officer? All of those experiences Kirk is getting may very well be what later contribute to his becoming in ten years or so a good captain.
The tritium watch was a boner. But I doubt that any 5 people you meet on the street would have bothered to look it up. I've worked in tech since the 70s and it didn't strike me as odd.
As for Khan, HE WAS A FRIGHTENED LITTLE BOY. People are getting killed around him, did you expect him to be a superman instantly at birth. Perhaps read the story of Khan Noonien-Singh, there was an excellent series of books written about him that the writers probably did read.
As for Kirk dying that was a foregone conclusion. How many other major players die every time the over used time travel trope is used?
As for the Roddenberry legacy. In 1970 he offered to sell Star Trek for $1500 as part of his divorce settlement - and got no takers. Guess we got lucky there.

Don't think I'm dumping on you. I'm really not. It's just that after so many crappy Star Trek Shows that were just stupid, legally crippled by the Paramount 25% rule, and half finished. This is actually, to me, good Star Trek. Something I've waited literally decades to see. My biggest surprise has been that my granddaughter who is studying to be an engineer also finds it interesting. Maybe her generation will do better at writing the next iteration of the show in 20 years.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As for the Roddenberry legacy. In 1970 he offered to sell Star Trek for $1500 as part of his divorce settlement - and got no takers. Guess we got lucky there.
Absolutely!
Mostly agree with you, Discovery was the worst of the lot, they should burn the tapes.
I did enjoy Picard, but then I was always a big fan of STNG and Patrick Stewart, I consider him a great actor.
YMMV ;)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My biggest surprise has been that my granddaughter who is studying to be an engineer also finds it interesting. Maybe her generation will do better at writing the next iteration of the show in 20 years.

It would be interesting to know how your grand daughter enjoyed the musical episode in Season 2 and the fairy tale episode in Season 1.

I really enjoyed both of those episodes, and am a product of the TNG era. Those episodes have not been looked on as favorably it seems by fans born in the TOS era. It seems like your grand daughter is becoming a fan through the SNW era.

Owltiger2057

Forum Donor
It would be interesting to know how your grand daughter enjoyed the musical episode in Season 2 and the fairy tale episode in Season 1.

I really enjoyed both of those episodes, and am a product of the TNG era. Those episodes have not been looked on as favorably it seems by fans born in the TOS era. It seems like your grand daughter is becoming a fan through the SNW era.
She didn't say anything about the fairy tale. She called me while the musical was on to see if I was watching it. We both actually laughed all the way through it. I then hooked her up with an old copy of Steven Bochco's Cop Rock. She hated that. lol.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
She didn't say anything about the fairy tale. She called me while the musical was on to see if I was watching it. We both actually laughed all the way through it. I then hooked her up with an old copy of Steven Bochco's Cop Rock. She hated that. lol.
She and I have similar tastes. I hated Cop Rock too.

Top Bottom