• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The end was disappointed......it did raise more questions and more stuff to explore...
Very sad....
They pulled a similar bullshit ending with Star Trek Enterprise. I call it "rushing to a dissatisfying ending" because some studio exec decided the series needed to end prematurely.

Mordor

Totally agree.

And the list goes on: Firefly, Stargate, etc,etc

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Since we're talking about other sci-fi shows for a moment... this is great;

qgo4IgYhlcMfSlFgD7z3U2d1nOB.jpg

JSmith

Mordor

True, true, true....another classic!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The First Season was fantastic and Captain Pike was the perfect choice. The second season was phoned in and the last episode was a crossover of Jurassic Park, Alien XXVIII, and Beavis and Butthead. The Singing episode was soul crushing to watch and I thought that was as bad as it could possibly get. Then I actually watched the last episode and realized that they could and did make it worse. I found myself wishing for the original green lizard Suit over the crap they served up. If indeed we do prove to be this stupid and incompetent then the human race is doomed. I keep wondering if someone on set spiked the Catering Food with Shrooms and LSD. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

bboris77

The First Season was fantastic and Captain Pike was the perfect choice. The second season was phoned in and the last episode was a crossover of Jurassic Park, Alien XXVIII, and Beavis and Butthead. The Sining episode was soul crushing to watch and I thought that was as bad as it could possibly get. Then I actually watched the last episode and realized that they could and did make it worse. I found myself wishing for the original green lizard Suit over the crap they served up. If indeed we do prove to be this stupid and incompetent then the human race is doomed. I keep wondering if someone in set spiked the Catering Food with Shrooms and LSD. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Could not agree more on all points. Perfectly summarized. And I liked Beavis and Butthead :)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
True, true, true....another classic!
In fact, after that last post of mine I've started watching the whole series again... the writing is mostly excellent and the effort that went into making it is superb. I can always rewatch the Farscape series anytime. :)

JSmith

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For those of you without Paramount+, the physical media is coming out next week.

You basically have one of the very best episodes of the entire series (2.8 Under the Cloak of War), the most polarizing episode of all (the musical episode) and a great Season Finale that is so good that you don’t care about the weak episodes and just want Season 3 to come!

Reactions: BJL

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Overall, after finishing that off, belatedly, in early Oct… the season was overall somewhat lackluster. The good parts were good. The bad parts were really bad.
This includes the musical. We made it through the intro and fired it hard as the second “ditty “ began.

So much potential in this series. Hopefully they can get it on Trek! ;)
They can still have the campy feel while giving us an exciting and amazing show.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

For those of you without Paramount+, the physical media is coming out next week.

You basically have one of the very best episodes of the entire series (2.8 Under the Cloak of War), the most polarizing episode of all (the musical episode) and a great Season Finale that is so good that you don’t care about the weak episodes and just want Season 3 to come!

I can't even play physical digital media of any format.

Not only do I have no DVD player, my computers don't even have optical drives.

BJL

I noticed that this (and the previous two seasons) are available on 4K UHD discs. I wondered if anyone has seen the 4K versions and might know how the audio and video quality compares with the Blu Ray.

I was about to purchase seasons 1&2, and cannot decide between the UHD and blu ray.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Why, it's not as if top quality gear isn't available for peanuts?
I just bought a new Sony X800M2 last week. One of the best players ever, it's on sale
everywhere for only $229, discounted from a normal retail of $329. I believe they're probably being
discontinued.
Of course great PC transports are all over for under $100.
I have 2 in my Linux powered tower that gets used a lot of use.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed that this (and the previous two seasons) are available on 4K UHD discs. I wondered if anyone has seen the 4K versions and might know how the audio and video quality compares with the Blu Ray.

I was about to purchase seasons 1&2, and cannot decide between the UHD and blu ray.

The UHD versions sadly do not include the Blu-Ray. These are properly filmed/video’d in 4K HDR so I would recommend it from that standpoint.

The Sony X800M2 works well as a budget transport. I have the fancy Panasonic UB9000 and previously had the Marantz SA-10. The X800M2’s drive is quiet enough and today’s displays do a better job with the HDR tone mapping. The Sony doesn’t auto switch to Dolby Vision, but the Panasonic lacks SACD playback.

The audio is DTS-HD Master on both versions.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

I didn't check but most often today, the 4k disc will include Atmos sound where the BluRay will be limited to a Dolby 7.1 soundtrak. Unless you have a BIG TV I don't think the video will make much difference. But then you might want to future proof yourself and go 4k, thats my way,

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The audio is DTS-HD Master on both versions.
Wow, you beat me to the post and I stand corrected.
I'm very surprised, that's a shame. I just checked on BluRay.com and they say not
only is it just DTS-HD, it's only a 5.1 mix. :(

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have season 1 on 4K BD. Picture quality is very good. Sound is OK. We have watched half the episodes but lost interest in watching the rest....

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Why, it's not as if top quality gear isn't available for peanuts?
I just bought a new Sony X800M2 last week. One of the best players ever, it's on sale
everywhere for only $229, discounted from a normal retail of $329. I believe they're probably being
discontinued.
Of course great PC transports are all over for under $100.
I have 2 in my Linux powered tower that gets used a lot of use.

I can stream 4K already, so why?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s tough. I collected DVDs and then Blu-Rays and now most of my Blu-Rays cases were discarded due to lack of storage space and put into binders (where you can save the inserts). The same may happen with 4K movies going forward.

That said, even this week we see services removing content that you paid for due to licensing changes. That’s because you never owned the content you purchased, just a license.

If you run your own storage server, you don’t have to worry about losing access…. But where did you get that content?

Top Bottom