• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Korean/Asian movies/series fans?

Natchie

Forum Donor
It took me awhile to locate the title of the great Korean Sci-Fi series but this is one of the Netflex best shows:

Sisyphus: The Myth (2021)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am really enjoying Pachinko.

Ken1951

Extraordinary Attorney Woo.
Vincenzo.
Lawless Lawyer.
Inspector Koo.
Cafe Minamdang.

All are Korean and all are on Netflix. We absolutely enjoyed each of them!

OP
GM3

GM3

Finished watching The Glory as well as Vincenzo! (random picks, thanks for the long backlist now! :D) Both were really enjoyable! The Glory first episode was pretty hard to watch, but the rest were far more easier, thank god... Turned out to be really good in the end!

Vincenzo, a sort of comedy drama, was quite enjoyable as well. It's weird how they manage to go from goofy to serious in a fraction of a second, and still somehow manage to retain the overall tension and seriousness of the show. Everything 'asia' just screams talent to me... Even the music; the atmosphere, acting, scripts/stories,

Had started Assassination, but there just seems something really strange about the setting; sort of eastern wild wild west with martial artists with guns... It probably is historically representative/accurate, but less common in cinematography; felt a little odd. Also seemed more action movie than others; not bad per se, as there are many martial arts movies with lots of actions; but just felt really strange mix, and looking at the poster; the hats; reminds me again of the far west, so like it's trying too hard to imitate eastern movies/culture maybe? And just feels odd because we're too used to the original?

Squid game had a game show release where competitors compete for money... The original show was good, but this reality TV show based on the show... :facepalm: Physical 100 and Devil's Plan were decent/good, for someone who doesn't really watch such shows, was again interesting to see differences of culture and stuff. But that squid game show........... Managed to watch a few episodes using 8x speed, but horrible...

Same with Rebel Moon... Surprising they can make such garbage, well, until you're reminded that the west is no longer a meritocracy. Rated 5.8 on imdb, sounds very high to me, a movie which can only be finished using 8x speed, so uninvolving, sigh inducing, where "that's so dumb..." is the recurrent reaction to every scene ... Sigh... 2.5/10 maybe because of the visual effects, but, I mean it's so bad... It's like a nicely wrapped turd. Might be nicely wrapped, but it's still a turd.

Last edited:

Ken1951

Vincenzo!!! We've watched it 3 times. It helped to get all the subtleties. About a year or so between the 2nd and 3rd times.

Old Listener

I've been watching asian shows/movies for about 7 years now. My top of the list favorites:

Korean

1% of Something
Beauty Inside (TV show)
Borg Mom
Five Enough
I am not a robot
My ID is Gangnam Beauty
My Love From the Star
My wife is a gangster 3 (Taiwan/Hong Kong actress She Qi)
Secret Garden
Strong Girl Bong-soon
What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?

Mainland China

Forever and ever
Love o2o (TV show)
You are my glory
Boss&me

Taiwan

Back to 1989
Bromance (Taiwan TV show)
Love Now

Indian

Khoobsurat (Indian/Disney movie - Indian cast, English language)

Most of these shows can be found on Netflix or Viki.

Most of these shows/movies are light in tone with humor and positive relations between characters. Some are rolling on the floor laughing funny. A few have fight scenes but none are action shows/movies. I've re-watched everything on this list multiple times.

Attachments

• 1703689121550.png
    1703689121550.png
    3 KB · Views: 21
  • 1703689693431.png
    1703689693431.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 22

Kegemusha

I think any Kurosawa movie is great and I love anime and thrillers so my recomendations,

From Japan:
Spirited Away
Akira
Rashomon
Cure
Pulse
The Ring
Dark Water
Noroi
Audition

my favs Korean movies:
The Wailing
Parasite
A Tale of 2 sisters
Memories of murder (this was pointed out in previous posts)
Silenced
Oldboy
Train to Busan
The Isle
Mother
I saw the Devil

Thai Movies:
The Protector
Ong-Bak1 and 2
Bangkok Dangerous
Shutter

AdrianusG

I consume a lot of non-Hollywood movies.
There are excellent Asian directors working these days.

Aside from the likes of Park Chan-wook and Zhang Yimou, already mentioned,
Ryusuke Hamaguchi is one of the best directors today. I highly recommend "Happy Hour" as well as the Oscar-winning "Drive my Car".

And, I mean, Hayao Miyazaki. He may make animated movies, but they put many "serious" live movies to shame in terms of depth.

Then, wonderful classics from Mizoguchi and especially Ozu. Ozu's "Late Spring" is one of the most beautiful films ever.
"And, I mean, Hayao Miyazaki. He may make animated movies, but they put many "serious" live movies to shame in terms of depth."

He and his studio Ghibli are exceptional, and truely the Japanese Disney, and in some regards better, of course not all movies are 10/10 but i can't name 1 bad movie from him or Takahata.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Castaway Diva was a great Netflix Korean Drama. Good showcase of a nice audio system as well since it has a singing competition at the heart of its story.

Top Bottom