• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZMF Atticus Review (Headphone)

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the most nerve-fraying, passive-aggressively testy thread I think I’ve yet encountered on this site :p Trudging through it I felt like I was being powdered with fleas. Is there any more constructive pad discussion to be found elsewhere?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the most nerve-fraying, passive-aggressively testy thread I think I’ve yet encountered on this site :p Trudging through it I felt like I was being powdered with fleas. Is there any more constructive pad discussion to be found elsewhere?
I think it boils down to, the bigger the difference in structural design of the pad in terms of materials and shape then the larger the effect it has on the frequency response. If you want to know the difference between pads then you have to measure the frequency response with different pads on the same unit of headphone, then you can compensate for the differences. Oratory sometimes measures headphones with aftermarket pads which he lists clearly as having aftermarket pads (e.g. Dekoni Pads).

drewdawg999

I just scored my Atticus Cocobolo LTD at half price used. The Cocobolo is the next hardest wood they use next to Zebrawood and I guess the harder the better, but ZMF doesn't use Cocobolo anymore so these are rare and a collector's item. When I tested them with bassy tracks, first impressions were good, impressive mid-bass yet still detailed, at least that was the impression at the noisy Domino's. I think they're gorgeous with the darker wood.
20240420_104219.jpg

When I got home, upon further listening on my bedroom rig with more bassy tracks, I noticed it was missing some sub-bass. Also it was starting to sound a bit muddy, at least that was the impression I was getting comparing to DT770 80 ohm Beyers, also a recent acquisition. I'm using aftermarket pads on the Beyers, Dekoni choice leathers, so they sound good without EQ. (The Beyers seem to distort for me with EQ, but that's another story). So I looked up oratory1990's EQ list and lo and behold it was there, the Atticus with stock pads. Applied that EQ and things really improved a lot. Much more clarity, and sub bass was there and strong, and I wasn't able to detect any distortion. Now I was getting the desirable Harman target, but like Amir, the mid-bass hump was EQ'd away. I missed it, being the thing that initially impressed me, that strong mid-bass. So I put it back, at least some of it, like 5dB I think, so my EQ curve looks like this:
Screenshot 2024-04-20 202700.png

Now things are sounding even more exciting than Harman, with extra mid-bass it's more in line with the sound signature that Zach was going for with this model. I like warm and punchy and with EQ this certainly can be achieved, without sacrificing any clarity. If I wanted Harman for my new pair, well there's plenty of better options, probably could have scored a closed Dan Clark for around the same price. I've EQ'd everything to Harman target, my LCD-2, HE-400, HD580 Precision, Grado SR80x, Sony V-6, and they all benefited and sound great. But I don't think the Atticus is one to get just to EQ to Harman, I like it with the extra mid-bass, making EDM scrumptious and savory. I accept the marginal recommendation with EQ by Amir as a positive, as I've been addicted to music for the last couple days, enjoying it oh so much and thrilled with my beautiful new cans.

Top Bottom