• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zen and the art of listening!

How focussed are you on the music when listening

• I’m the Dali Lama of audiophiles - 100% in the moment

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • My mind is like a fly buzzing from one thought to the next

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Mostly in the moment but sometimes distracted by my thoughts

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters

CapMan

Major Contributor
I’m very aware of the tape that often plays in my head with distracting thoughts and chatter.

I guess it is also there when I should be in the moment listening to my music.

It can be difficult to tune it out, but I’ve found that regular meditation is very helpful.

I wondered how others would judge their attentiveness during listening ?

How does it feel when you’re listening is totally in the moment ?

Apols for the typo, Dali should of course be Dalai .

Last edited:

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m very aware of the tape that often plays in my head with distracting thoughts and chatter.

I guess it is also there when I should be in the moment listening to my music.

It can be difficult to tune it out, but I’ve found that regular meditation is very helpful.

I wondered how others would judge their attentiveness during listening ?

How does it feel when you’re listening is totally in the moment ?
Meditation is something I used to laugh at, but in recent times have found it extremely helpful and am so glad I gave it a shot.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
I know in this forum we order room, speakers, electronics in order of importance. I wonder if ‘mind’ sits ahead of room?

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Meditation is something I used to laugh at, but in recent times have found it extremely helpful and am so glad I gave it a shot.
I think many people give up after a couple of attempts, but you just have to keep chipping away every day. It’s not like running where you set a goal , it’s not a competion at all. Just have to go with the flow and have patience.

Ze Frog

I know in this forum we order room, speakers, electronics in order of importance. I wonder if ‘mind’ sits ahead of room?
It certainly should.

A lot of how I perceive certain music types largely depends on how I'm feeling. And some days the same system can sound better depending on mood or who I'm listening with, the weather, the lighting, am I hot or cold or hungry or full. There's definitely a massive part of the process which overlooked and taken for granted, but a lot of people likely never give it a second thought.

Bwmr

Is there a typo in the poll? Should it be "Dalai Lama"?

I personally find that meditation has helped me in about everything in my life. I keep comparing it to something like brushing your teeth: you just do it everyday, it becomes a hygiene habit and you reap the benefits.
In music listening, not only does it help me concentrate better, but it also helps me open up to more musics (feeling and liking more musics, something to do with meditation developing the empathy side).

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
When I'm alone listening to music "seriously" it's with headphones on and eyes closed. But of course every once in a while thoughts creep in...

Anton D

Sometimes I just sits and listens, other times I just sit.

;)

Actually, for me, music is often the launching pad of whatever reveries might take wing. I can leave to song, go away, come back, whatever. I find it almost impossible to make it through and entire song without something passing through that light.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it should be taught in schools !
In some schools, it is, apparently. I first got introduced in college, but I'd say kids from age 10+ could really benefit... the tween and teen years. Lots of kids are going through all sorts of mental drama at that stage. Knowing how to meditate would give them another healthy way to deal with it.

Now, add music / music appreciation classes in and you've got a new generation of really serious listeners coming up! :)

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
In some schools, it is, apparently. I first got introduced in college, but I'd say kids from age 10+ could really benefit... the tween and teen years. Lots of kids are going through all sorts of mental drama at that stage. Knowing how to meditate would give them another healthy way to deal with it.

Now, add music / music appreciation classes in and you've got a new generation of really serious listeners coming up! :)
Kids have so many distractions now , I can’t imagine growing up with a smart phone from age zero and knowing nothing else. Meditation would really help take them out of that, even for a few minutes.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kids have so many distractions now , I can’t imagine growing up with a smart phone from age zero and knowing nothing else. Meditation would really help take them out of that, even for a few minutes.
Indeed... I've got one on the way and my hope is to keep phones / tablets out of the equation as long as I can. I am sure it won't be easy...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
If I have headphones/iem’s on I am 100% in the moment zen. Home theater is iffy as I’m normally working here and will get interrupted by the focus shift back and forth. I was never a work and listen to music unless it’s just background music. I can have music playing and be working for 30 mins and not hear or remember a single song. Is that strange?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can have music playing and be working for 30 mins and not hear or remember a single song. Is that strange?
IMO not really. I think it's pretty common to have focus on one thing to the exclusion of other things, especially hearing. My wife would strongly agree that I suffer from that fairly regularly. :D

gags

Indeed... I've got one on the way and my hope is to keep phones / tablets out of the equation as long as I can. I am sure it won't be easy...
Congrats.

It’s easy with the first one until school. It doesn’t really matter for a while, then you can, then you can’t. My 5 year old is broaching the subject!

Second one is harder.

gags

I have also benefitted greatly from meditation. What a wonderful journey.

I experience tinnitus so if I really focus on music my tinnitus becomes more pronounced so this game I play is to pretend to not pay attention and just enjoy very attentively!

I only have an entry level “good” system in a busy part of the house so it gets occasionally paid close attention to for a time or two while no one else is around. The rest of the time it just unremarkably delivers beautiful sounds to anyone in ear shot.

Top Bottom