• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Top 5 Demo / Test Tracks

fas42

Major Contributor
More than anything, the significance of distortion is so downplayed, in the research - and in all of my efforts to understand what's important over the years, that particular factor has come through as being absolutely crucial to the quality of the subjective experience.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I was going to apologize for insensitively hijacking the thread, but the Original Poster seems to have succumbed to the same temptations.

---

I'm unlikely to demo anything outside the house, but I'd pick:

Acoustic plucked and bowed instruments.

Bass Viol and Electric Bass Guitar.

Drums and Piano.

Brass and Woods.

And some solo and group vocals.

Some B3 and pipes (oh wait, that's six choices)

Sorry, can't trackify them right now, would need to note some as they pass through the transporter.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sorry, that still is not going to work. I have heard, and read the arguments so many times I could do the patter myself - it's very much a case of doing a restricted level of testing, which confirms a set of assumptions about hearing, which are then extrapolated to include everything - if one can only see a small part of the picture then you devise experiments which confirm that POV, and learn nothing new. Overall, it's poor science - and a great shame that such is so ...
You do know your not in control of your sub conscious mind, and just how much of what we think are our own conscious decision are actually bugger all to do with us... Don't you Frank?:confused:

If your mind was a car, the conscious part would be the tyres... Not the steering wheel!

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
You do know your not in control of your sub conscious mind, and just how much of what we think are our own conscious decision are actually bugger all to do with us... Don't you Frank?:confused:

If your mind was a car, the conscious part would be the tyres... Not the steering wheel!
Hmmm ... how does that work - if I think someone here has made a dumb comment, is that conscious, or sub conscious? Am I guilty, or not? ... Maybe, my whole life has been a robotic, sub conscious wank ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hmmm ... how does that work - if I think someone here has made a dumb comment, is that conscious, or sub conscious? Am I guilty, or not? ... Maybe, my whole life has been a robotic, sub conscious wank ...
If you suddenly go blind , it was the sub conscious wanking Frank.. God don't dig that:D

fas42

Major Contributor
If you suddenly go blind , it was the sub conscious wanking Frank.. God don't dig that:D
Perhaps my true fate should be to go deaf, so I don't hear this "good sound" thing, eh ... :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I do too... and buy physical product to put in it. It's like the vinyl hobby, but even stupider, I suppose, to those that view it as stupid.

The difference being that I can rip a CD to a file and have the exact same content stored on a NAS.

Then trade the CD for vinyl. ;)

ChrisH

Mahler Symphony 8-Markus Stenz-Gurzenich Orchestra Koln-Oehms.

This one recording, in excellent sound, basically covers all the bases for me. Large complex sounds, deep organ, multitudes of voice in choir and solo, as well as the soft, almost Webernesque opening the part 2.

My assumption is that if a system can do well with the Mahler 8, everything else is pretty much cake.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Mahler Symphony 8-Markus Stenz-Gurzenich Orchestra Koln-Oehms.

This one recording, in excellent sound, basically covers all the bases for me. Large complex sounds, deep organ, multitudes of voice in choir and solo, as well as the soft, almost Webernesque opening the part 2.

My assumption is that if a system can do well with the Mahler 8, everything else is pretty much cake.

While I agree that full throttle orchestral music is good litmus test, I wouldn't agree with the idea that it's the only test needed.

I've heard systems that opened up and scaled really well under power, but that sounded really ordinary with softer, more ordinary and intimate material.

ChrisH

While I agree that full throttle orchestral music is good litmus test, I wouldn't agree with the idea that it's the only test needed.

I've heard systems that opened up and scaled really well under power, but that sounded really ordinary with softer, more ordinary and intimate material.

This is why I like the Mahler 8 so much, it has all of the that. Incredibly soft, intimate moments are abound in this symphony. You get down to chamber music levels at certain points. My listening is also different than most. Mahler takes up almost 75% of my overall listening. I know, that's pretty ridiculous. For me, what my system sounds like playing the works of Gustav Mahler is the sole arbiter of my enjoyment.

I have put some records from this thread on a list, curious to see how my system holds up.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Mahler takes up almost 75% of my overall listening. I know, that's pretty ridiculous. For me, what my system sounds like playing the works of Gustav Mahler is the sole arbiter of my enjoyment.

Oh jeez, not another crazy Mahlerian, I get enough of that from MTT...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Who or what is MTT?

41NRBPF23KL.jpg

R-2542033-1289604321.jpeg.jpg

banner-symphony-mtt.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hey, I have some of his performances!

He's like *the* guy for Mahlerians...

(which I'm not, nothing against Mahler, he's a Top 20 composer, but I can't imagine spending 75% of my time only listening to one guy)

ChrisH

He's like *the* guy for Mahlerians...

(which I'm not, nothing against Mahler, he's a Top 20 composer, but I can't imagine spending 75% of my time only listening to one guy)
In my circle of Mahlerians MTT isn't really that big of a deal and is rarely mentioned.

I actually spent a lot of this year listening to the Opera's that Mahler conducted during his lifetime.

fas42

Major Contributor

Good point. An ideal system can go to clipping, and then be steadily dropped in volume until almost inaudible, and subjectively always remain the same. Obviously, the volume has changed ;) - but the emotional response to the playback continues, you can still hear that everything remains in place ...

Top Bottom