• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your social classification according to music genres you prefer (not to be taken too seriously ;)

Which level have you "achieved" ;) / attention: votes publicly visible :)

• Total voters

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I voted for Choral music, Blues, Tango, Opera, Classical Chamber, Jazz, Symphony Orchestral, International, Alternative, Celestial, Soul, ... music. ...Level Infinite.
Nuff said, next.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was doing some technical work for "Music From the Hearts of Space", also my own late-night Sunday show on KPFA Berkeley. A freind loaned me a Casio FZ-1. Like I said, fiddled with the controls, set my finger on a single key, the presets pumped out new-age music, identical to a CD that was commercially released.

I get the point you're making. You think the music lacks artistic merit because it's too easy to make.

It just doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making in the quoted text, which is that plenty of music is never even "performed" once. It's composed, synthesized, rendered, and exported to file.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I get the point you're making. You think the music lacks artistic merit because it's too easy to make.
Not really, just noting some sorts of music that are more like self-replicating algorithms. I have long listened and obsessed over various kinds of music others would think of as noise. Interesting that something like "Metal Machine Music" required much more effort than the Greek New-Age music mentioned. I'm pretty sure this is the artist:

https://iasos.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iasos_(musician)

It just doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making in the quoted text, which is that plenty of music is never even "performed" once. It's composed, synthesized, rendered, and exported to file.
Mozart's works came to him, his job was more like a musical stenographer. Makes me wonder how much music he thought up/heard in his head without ever documenting.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me it looks like 1, max. 2. The fact it has space in the title doesn't necessary means it is unearthy :)

Sun Ra isn’t my cup of tea, but dude, Sun Ra is not level 1 or 2.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'd say that label works well for KC. HAve you heard "your own spell" on Diamond Mine- my goodness
It's been on my mythical list of stuff to listen to for a while, I like JH as well, so I should get around to it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was doing some technical work for "Music From the Hearts of Space", also my own late-night Sunday show on KPFA Berkeley. A freind loaned me a Casio FZ-1. Like I said, fiddled with the controls, set my finger on a single key, the presets pumped out new-age music, identical to a CD that was commercially released.
This reminds me of the following.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00f4cyl

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been on my mythical list of stuff to listen to for a while, I like JH as well, so I should get around to it.
You have to find 5 for that one track- the rest of it take or leave.

Robin L

Master Contributor

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually, some hi-fi gear appears to be suited to very small and specific musical interests. But once you've localized and refined it, you are in audio nirvana.

From an early Audio Critic:

Bravura Stereo Preamplifier. $500.00: Before we tested the Bravura we were warned by its partisans and promoters that the only way to evaluate it was with the Shure V-15 III G cartridge and Fulton J speaker. This led us to speculate about a preamplifier that must only be used for listening to Tibetan music while sitting on yakback.

I had all but the yak!!! I still have the Fulton Bravura, Fulton labeled MkIII Dynacos by William Z. , a Fulton turntable and arm with his headshell wires and Fulton Brown Speaker Cables. A little shrine to my friend, Bob Fulton... RIP!

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
The truth is that the last rhythm we're likely to hear is the "one-two-three" of the EMS Tech performing CPR on us in the back of a moving ambo. Anything up to that point has the potential of being quite enjoyable.

If successful, even that is your own joy... … … …

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Mozart's works came to him, his job was more like a musical stenographer. Makes me wonder how much music he thought up/heard in his head without ever documenting.

Interesting (!) concept... If true, likely applies to all composers/creators in all arts-not just music. Personally think it is true.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Interesting (!) concept... If true, likely applies to all composers/creators in all arts-not just music. Personally think it is true.
No, some work at creating music. I was thinking of this when listening to interviews with Randy Newman about his process. He wanders around on the piano until he encounters a riff that fits a personality, then starts to apply words that fit as well. When composing for movies, he has to work out timings for scenes. He gives the impression that he has to work for everything, that nothing really comes naturally. But Mozart really was a special case, so trained in the process that he got to the point that he really didn't have to "think" about the process, and the cleanliness of his scores in the original manuscripts reflects that. Beethoven's scores, predictably, are a mess. on the other hand, Charlie Parker [just turned 100 today] absorbed so much technique that he regularly spun out new melodies, creating completely different tunes from take to take of a given title. Good example, his takes on "All the Things You Are" for Dial records, an impromptu realization of what Renaissance composers called "divisions".

Top Bottom