• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your social classification according to music genres you prefer (not to be taken too seriously ;)

Which level have you "achieved" ;) / attention: votes publicly visible :)

• Total voters

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
music_levels.jpg
Don't know who is the author of this categorization, but I hope it is based on serious research ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
They missed level 0 - audiophile recordings.

They should vinyl setup records to level infinity.

I thought level 0 was vintage blues - audiophile recordings aren't a music genre.
20untitled3.jpg

Fregly

What is Drone at level 6? Is that people who like to listen to refridgerators?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought level 0 was vintage blues - audiophile recordings aren't a music genre. View attachment 35067
I can only assume you have never been subjected to audiophile jazz, stunning recordings of decent players of famous songs somehow yielding something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike music.

Vintage blues sounds somewhere higher than 1 on that entertaining but meaningless scale.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I started off at level 1 as a teenager Pop, rock R&B. Rap didn't exist when I was a teenager and I have never been fond of jazz or country, then moved to level 3, prog and folk at University then heard my first classical, Schubert 9th Symphony, which set me off on a journey of centuries of musical discovery from plainsong to modern day.
I mainly listen now to melodic stuff I know from centuries past with the odd bit of rock and folk when the mood takes me. What level is that?

Wombat

Master Contributor
I can only assume you have never been subjected to audiophile jazz, stunning recordings of decent players of famous songs somehow yielding something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike music.

Vintage blues sounds somewhere higher than 1 on that entertaining but meaningless scale.

Audiophile recordings are not a music genre, period.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I started off at level 1 as a teenager Pop, rock R&B. Rap didn't exist when I was a teenager and I have never been fond of jazz or country, then moved to level 3, prog and folk at University then heard my first classical, Schubert 9th Symphony, which set me off on a journey of centuries of musical discovery from plainsong to modern day.
I mainly listen now to melodic stuff I know from centuries past with the odd bit of rock and folk when the mood takes me. What level is that?
I also noticed they completely ignored classical, and all the sub genres, I assume it's like it used to be in the largest record shops, eventually you spotted the door hidden away to the classical section, an oasis of calm.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Post infinite level" - intentional listening to background noise and artifacts of bad designed audio gear :cool:
I did listen to this recently.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops
The Disintegration Loops is a series of four albums by American avant-garde composer William Basinskireleased in 2002 and 2003. The recordings consist of tape loops that gradually deteriorated each time they passed the tape head, the unexpected result of Basinski's attempt to transfer his earlier recordings to digital format.[2]
Possibly the most anti ASR recording?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, some hi-fi gear appears to be suited to very small and specific musical interests. But once you've localized and refined it, you are in audio nirvana.

From an early Audio Critic:

Bravura Stereo Preamplifier. $500.00: Before we tested the Bravura we were warned by its partisans and promoters that the only way to evaluate it was with the Shure V-15 III G cartridge and Fulton J speaker. This led us to speculate about a preamplifier that must only be used for listening to Tibetan music while sitting on yakback.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Some of my most cherished LP's are Bob Ludwig mastered David Lewiston Asian field recordings mostly the Tibetan ones. I'm also quite fond of Hindustani devotional music. I would start at the bottom of the list and run out by no.2 or so.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I listen to the noise level of my gear, which is supposedly inaudible. I can enjoy the silence of my gear so much more than musicnotes that produce distortion in all sorts. I classify myself as the ultimate audiophile this way.

Neddy

Throat singing, for sure!! (Wouldn't that count as 'Drone' too?)
I should actually (some day) count the tracks I have that feature it...but kind of hard to distinguish from didgeridoo sometimes...

Neddy

Not to mention uilleann pipes! Or hurdy-gurdy, or....:eek:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the track for anyone interested.
Roon tells me it's indie folk, seems about right.

Top Bottom