• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your favorite IEMs?

D

Deleted member 27694

Just curious.

1. Etymotic ER2SE. IMHO perfect sq and a price/performance juggernaut

2. Fiio FH7: far from perfect but I just like it. Fun to use.

3. Sennheiser IE 300: super comfortable, can wear them for 12 hours without fatigue. Tasteful v shape with lots of raw power.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious.

1. Etymotic ER2SE. IMHO perfect sq and a price/performance juggernaut

2. Fiio FH7: far from perfect but I just like it. Fun to use.

3. Sennheiser IE 300: super comfortable, can wear them for 12 hours without fatigue. Tasteful v shape with lots of raw power.

The Ety 2SE are my daily walk IEM. Great passive blocking, great sound, take EQ well.

Side note- IEM with over ear cable loops dont work well with walking in (sun)glasses.

OP
D

Deleted member 27694

Interesting. I use my IEMs only stationary. Outside I use my galaxy Buds+, Airpods Pro, Bose QC TWS etc.

Iglo

Forum Donor
I tried quite a few IEM's but didn't like the feel. I want to like them but in ear fit for the ones I tried didn't work for me. The only ones I can tolerate for more than an hour are the Apple earbuds :( (the regular ones, only used for voice/video calls).

I do however keep an interest in IEM's an may keep trying to find ones that are comfortable. So I'll keep an eye on this topic.

OP
D

Deleted member 27694

I tried quite a few IEM's but didn't like the feel. I want to like them but in ear fit for the ones I tried didn't work for me. The only ones I can tolerate for more than an hour are the Apple earbuds :( (the regular ones, only used for voice/video calls).

I do however keep an interest in IEM's an may keep trying to find ones that are comfortable. So I'll keep an eye on this topic.

the new sennheiser IE 300 are really extremly comfortable. I like the sound IEM demigod Crinacle rated them „B“ and the ER2SE „B+„ (for me A without a doubt)

frix

+1 for the IE300. Out of my collection it is currently my favourite. As already mentioned comfort is a big factor. The stock tonality is a bit too much for me. But with some simple EQ I like it a lot. Sounds better and more natural than my 8BA moondrop s8.

At this point I only use Etymotic. Between the isolation in public, the size, and the overall sound, it's really hard to put anything else in my ears. They have been blowing them out at Adorama and I don't think there is much else at 100USD or so that does the same. The microphonic go away if you wear them over ear. I can eat with them in, which I cannot say for any other IEM I have tried and the large nozzle ones just don't fit in my ears no matter how hard I try. There are lots IEMs with better subbass/soundstage/less distortion but if they don't seal or they aren't comfortable for hours on end, they don't work.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Westone UM-1 which are quite old from my stock of old IEMs. I also like my Ultimate Ears Super FI .3 but they're showing their age.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Tough one but I'd say Shure SE846 due to their versatility. I pair them with the BT2 bluetooth cable and I can't imagine getting better sound on the go.

someguyontheinternet

AME J1UX for me. I have compared them to Meze Rai Solo, Moondrop Aria and Starfield so far.
Maybe at some point I will go deeper (aka throw more money) into IEMs, but right now I'm still looking for a full sized one I'm completely satisfied with.

OP
D

Deleted member 27694

Tough one but I'd say Shure SE846 due to their versatility. I pair them with the BT2 bluetooth cable and I can't imagine getting better sound on the go.
Thank you. Never tested them. Only SE215 and Aeonic 4. Did you ever use Etymotics?

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Thank you. Never tested them. Only SE215 and Aeonic 4. Did you ever use Etymotics?

The ER4P/S were my favorite headphones (not just IEMs) for years. Everything else just sounded like listening through a layer of mud. It wasn't until the Shure E4c (equivalent to the current line-up's SE425 if I'm not mistaken), that I found something with similar clarity but with satisfying bass presence.

For years I told myself that the ER4P/S weren't bass shy, they just seemed that way because everything else was bass heavy. That the bass was accurate and "tight", that hey, I really didn't like bass that much anyway. At times I even believed this.

It wasn't until finding one can have both clarity and bass performance that I moved on from Etys. Still hold a special place in my heart though.

OP
D

Deleted member 27694

The ER4P/S were my favorite headphones (not just IEMs) for years. Everything else just sounded like listening through a layer of mud. It wasn't until the Shure E4c (equivalent to the current line-up's SE425 if I'm not mistaken), that I found something with similar clarity but with satisfying bass presence.

For years I told myself that the ER4P/S weren't bass shy, they just seemed that way because everything else was bass heavy. That the bass was accurate and "tight", that hey, I really didn't like bass that much anyway. At times I even believed this.

It wasn't until finding one can have both clarity and bass performance that I moved on from Etys. Still hold a special place in my heart though.
If you can try out the ER2XR. I could imagine that you‘d like them very much.

tdockweiler

My all time favorite has been the Triple Fi 10 (not the custom).
I like the sound so much that I got rid of all my headphones including the K702 and DT-990.

I actually used them with the Comply foam. Some say it turns it into a muffled sounding mess, but I don't agree.

Since Ultimate Ears no longer makes earbuds is there anything else out there with a nearly identical sound signature?

I would really like to find something. I doubt you can buy the Triple Fi 10 still anywhere online.

PS It's weird seeing people say the TF10 has a "V" shaped sound signature. Maybe it does, but I never really had any problems with how it sounded.

paulraphael

Are there any halfway decent IEMs for under $50? I'm getting ready to go back to the gym, and decent sound would be a great reward. These will be sweated on, shoved into a pocket, and otherwise abused, so cheap is important. Mic and headset features would be most welcome. Extra credit if they're available with a lightning connector, so I don't have to worry about forgetting my iphone adapter.

By halfway decent I mean: reasonable tonal balance. They shouldn't sound shrill or like every song is a totally alien mix. There should be bass.

OP
D

Deleted member 27694

Are there any halfway decent IEMs for under $50? I'm getting ready to go back to the gym, and decent sound would be a great reward. These will be sweated on, shoved into a pocket, and otherwise abused, so cheap is important. Mic and headset features would be most welcome. Extra credit if they're available with a lightning connector, so I don't have to worry about forgetting my iphone adapter.

By halfway decent I mean: reasonable tonal balance. They shouldn't sound shrill or like every song is a totally alien mix. There should be bass.
if your stretch your budget you can get one of the very best imho. And for that price it is a steal.

Top Bottom