• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha TSR-7810 update temporarily disables wifi

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As it is in a secondary location, I do not use this AVR much. Since it supports Airplay, wanted to try it out. When I powered it up, it said a firmware update was needed. I hesitated as the update was via wifi, but took my chances. About 20 minutes later, the update completed successfully, I cycled power and all seemed good. However, went to use the app and it could not find the AVR. It had worked just prior to the update, so was baffled. This started a 4 hour ordeal, consisting of resetting the wifi config, multiple attempts to redo the firmware update and home network troubleshooting...

Will spare you the drawn out diagnosis and just share the key points. After trying a couple more times to update the firmware, discovered that Yamaha‘s update tool has a bug. I retried wifi and then USB as update media In both cases, would spin its wheels while the display kept cycling “VERIFYING”. The good part was that it never bricked. After my first attempt to reset the AVR wireless config seemed suspicious (no IP address showed), I checked my router and it showed the AVR was on the network. It responded to a ping and so I tried to manually set the remote app and still would not work. I updated the app and still did not find. I retried the AVR network config and tried the AP detection. It did not find my router or multiple others in the neighborhood.

The wifi coverage was weak, so decided to make use of a nearby hardwire drop. At this point was wondering about potential network caching issues, so changed the router to force a new IP address assignment, this still had no effect, so I plugged in the wired network. It worked! Airplay worked as well. As I still wanted to know if the AVR wifi was broke, reset the network config, it found the router and works now as well. Since this was quite the ordeal, thought I would share and hope it might help others save time. :cool:

Reactions: GDK

KA7NIQ

I updated the firmware of my Yamaha TSR 7810 via WiFi and had none of these problems.

Top Bottom