• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with Neumann kh750 + 120II + MA1

vamp

So I bought 2x120II and 750 and doing the alignment is pain in the ass. First off all the actual alignment process using the app is different from what they show on youtube video(I never got to the page with checkmarks, and now I am not sure if everything is correct).
Second of all, the 750 is a recent purchase, and I used the 120IIs before and used them via SPDIF audio interface that gives much more clear sound than analog through my MOTU M2 interface(the speakers just don't sound good via analog.. I had ADAM A7V via analog and the mids and highs sounded teriffic on them using MOTU m2, but Neuman sounds like Adams only via digital input). Seems like I only have to run the software using analog input on KH750 and as the SPDIF device doesn't have any mic input and MOTU m2 doesnt have digital out. I hope I will be able to use all digital after setup.
And I don't know do I need to connect both speakers and sub to network switch or just sub?? none of the devices are being discovered by my current network router, yet I ordered a new network switch to try it out. I was able to connect the sub directly to PC and update the firware of it, but couldn't go much further as during calibrating mic\speakers levels the sub does not send the sound to the speakers via both digital and xlr. There is just no sound, I see the sound on sound interface meters, and if switch from Network to Local on sub backplate - it starts to send the calibrating sound but software loses connection to sub and stops.
What am I doing wrong? Was buying the 120II waste of money instead of 120A if they only can work via analog after MA1 alignment as 750 does all the job for them?

staticV3

Master Contributor
One major "gotcha" is that you can use Neumann's Control App OR the MA 1 desktop program.
Not both.

For proper room correction, you want to reset your speakers to factory, then calibrate them exclusively with the MA 1 software.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Attached below is Neumann's detailed user guide for the MA 1 software.

It's from before the KH120II was released, so does not explicitly list it.

For the calibration process, simply refer to the KH 80 in the guide.

Here's how the KH120II and KH750 need to be connected during the calibration:
Screenshot_20240406-232415_Drive.png

You have to use an Ethernet switch, not your local network that you use to browse the web.

After the calibration is done and the filters are uploaded to your K750 and KH120II, you should be able to plug out all analog cables and use them purely digitally via AES3.

Attachments

• 700694.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
OP
vamp

vamp

I will try tomorrow with ethernet switch I ordered.
It is still unclear how I should connect kh750 to kh120II, as kh80 don't have digital input option like kh120.
Also in manual it says make sure your audio interface is set to 48khz or you will get warning message - my audio interface was set to 44khz and I didn't have any warnings... and no sound lol

staticV3

Master Contributor
It is still unclear how I should connect kh750 to kh120II, as kh80 don't have digital input option like kh120.
I think you may be able to do both the calibration and the general usage all-digital.

Basically:

PC->USB->Interface->SPDIF->KH750->SPDIF->KH120II Right->SPDIF->KH120II Left

and then

PC->Ethernet->Switch->Ethernet->All Neumann speakers.

The SPDIF chain stays untouched while calibrating and after.

After calibration, once you're satisfied with the result, you can remove all Ethernet connections.

Last edited:
OP
vamp

vamp

The thing is that it is mandatory to use the same interface for mic in and sound out to speakers. And my spdif interface just doesn't have mic in. I don't know may be i can create some sort of virtual sound card that is a mix of both interfaces, like OBS virtual camera

staticV3

Master Contributor
The thing is that it is mandatory to use the same interface for mic in and sound out to speakers. And my spdif interface just doesn't have mic in.
Hm yeah I see.

Not sure if you can do the calibration in analog, then switch over to digital without messing up the calibration in some way.

That's definitely a question for Neumann's Customer Support.

Fwiw, you can get an interface with Mic in and SPDIF out for 140€, namely the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 MK2.

OP
vamp

vamp

So after a day of fruitless struggle with Voicemeter Banana trying to combine two interfaces into one, I purchased Native Instruments KA6MK2 and a simplest network switch(as the speakers don't work with internet router). The process went smooth once I spent extra 200$...
The whole thing works over SPDIF. Ah the sub has not RCA like speakers for some reason but BNC terminals, so I had to buy extensions. All three speakers have to connect to network switch. They should update their manual and videos on their youtube channel as they were really confusing.

I have left with three questions
So there is no way to edit the preset after I close the program with taking a new measurement and new preset??

So now I have 100SPL at 1m at max volume? The program had thrown the message stating something like that, but I didn't record that message and now wonder.

Also what about the max volume? In windows at max volume system settings, listening to music at -10db according to Foobar2000 volume slider causes speaker to blink red in overload(very loud) - is it expected behavior?

Attachments

• open .png
    open .png
    168.7 KB · Views: 19

staticV3

Master Contributor
So there is no way to edit the preset after I close the program with taking a new measurement and new preset??
Correct.
Once you close the MA1 software, all measurement data is lost. Only the room correction is stored on the speakers.

custom

I am pretty sure it is possible. Simply select the old calibration after opening the MA 1 software and select "Edit".

Top Bottom