• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-A8A (Japanese website)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Im looking this for the double ES 9028 DAC. if it gives good SINAD and give me XLR to integrate to 2.1 and enough power for sorround speakers, its s buy.

ES9028 is much better than the DAC Denon/maratz uses, i hope they do it right
Right. That should show up as the pre-amp output SINAD in Amir's test suite.

gonzoucab

Right. That should show up as the pre-amp output SINAD in Amir's test suite.
They are starting to realize Amir and ASR power, we are wiining

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are starting to realize Amir and ASR power, we are wiining
well...let's see the measurements. The "DAC wars" have been a thing that has been getting marketing attention but doesn't always show up in the final measurements.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Im looking this for the double ES 9028 DAC. if it gives good SINAD and give me XLR to integrate to 2.1 and enough power for sorround speakers, its s buy.

ES9028 is much better than the DAC Denon/maratz uses, i hope they do it right

Agreed, at least on paper, but the website's photo clearly shows the same ES9026Pro used in the RX-A3080's main 7 channels. Even the 9026Pro has better specs than the AK4458 used in all Denon and Marantz AVRs except the Denon AVR-X8500H and A110 that uses the AK4490, and for all 15 channels, though the Denon flagships are more expensive. The AK4490 and the ES9026 Pro have comparable specs.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
well...let's see the measurements. The "DAC wars" have been a thing that has been getting marketing attention but doesn't always show up in the final measurements.

Agreed, at the level of those DACs (AK4458, 4490, ES9006, 9026Pro) the SINAD measured on the ASR bench would likely be limited by the volume control ICs, switches, and the opamps in the preamp/DAC signal path. That's just from the hardware/parts stand point.

Since Denon/Marantz replaced the vol control ICs in 2016/17?), their measured SINAD (ASR's) have been among the top 10 on the ASR chart.

Macfox

It seems a bit like they are specsheet tuning, meaning they focus on things that look great on paper and that people know about. Comparable with engine displacement with cars or rear derailleurs with bikes. It's what people know about and notice. But it's the whole system together that makes or breaks performance. Nobody lists a volume control IC on their specsheet and people don't compare those when deciding on a receiver to buy. However, since the DAC usually isn't the limiting factor, upgrading it doesn't necessarily result in better end performance. No need for installing a racing spec titanium exhaust system on a car with a 1.6L 70hp engine.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody lists a volume control IC on their specsheet and people don't compare those when deciding on a receiver to buy. However, since the DAC usually isn't the limiting factor, upgrading it doesn't necessarily result in better end performance. No need for installing a racing spec titanium exhaust system on a car with a 1.6L 70hp engine.

That is true, Denon mentioned (barely) the new IC when they launched the AVC-X8500H but as far as I know, only on their Japan website. I suspect people are more aware of or familiar with the DAC IC, not so much the volume control, and/or even the opamps.

Yamaha, Anthem and others might have done something similar without advertising it, not sure how likely that would be..;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir's previous tests of other recent Yamaha AVRs have suggested so-so measured performance more or less on par for the class and not quite up to the performance of some Denon products:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...and-measurements-of-yamaha-rx-a1080-avr.9090/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...channel-4k-8k-dolby-av-receiver-review.17204/
But as far as audibility under normal conditions, I expect it will sound fine.

Not sure what the fuss is about those heatsinks? Provided that they keep the amplifier running reasonably cool, I see no point in costlier, heavier assemblies.

A few general thoughts about this type of product: Buy features that you actually intend to use within the next couple of years but don't get carried away with notions of "future-proofing" yourself: AVRs as a class are notorious for shipping with cutting edge but seemingly untested features, and it's a safe bet that newer codecs and capabilities will arise in the future. Many will require different hardware. As for associated apps, plan for few if any future updates and you won't be disappointed: Features which rely on apps will likely be the first to become obsolete.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems to be a new version of YPAO though "with R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control), 3D, 64-bit High Precision EQ Calculation, Low Frequency mode and Angle Measurement". I don't think they have had low frequency mode before?
This new YPAO version also has a 7 band PEQ option, including for subs. That does look tempting. Taken from the RX-A4A manual:
1621905721930.png

1621905747402.png

However, from the manual for these it is clear that you cannot turn off any of the internal amplifiers, so there will be pre-our saturation problems I imagine, even for the XLR out.

Macfox

Ata

Forum Donor
For the model below the A8A, the A6A it's $3,699 Australian. That's about $500 Australian below a Denon 4700H. I'm considering the A8A, A6A or the Denon 4700H. But I'll wait for reviews on the new Yamaha's. The 4700H is fairly well reviewed and well known. I feel it will take quite a long time before it's known about these upcoming Yamaha's. I'm not sure I can wait that long. Lol.

There is a thread here on the change in DAC in the Denon 4700H, due to AKM DAC shortages following the fire at their factory. AFAIK the new A6A/A8A use the "good" ESS DACs and we already know Yamaha are good at implementation. This may be a consideration in your choice.

Edit: mentioned by others already.

Macfox

There is a thread here on the change in DAC in the Denon 4700H, due to AKM DAC shortages following the fire at their factory. AFAIK the new A6A/A8A use the "good" ESS DACs and we already know Yamaha are good at implementation. This may be a consideration in your choice.

Edit: mentioned by others already.
Looking at previous measurements, performance seems to be a bit of a mixed bag, with DAC implementation not always a positive:

RX-596 (old generation) - Good performance, with most negative results probably a result of aging of components
RX-A1080 (previous generation) - Generally decent performance, but some negative outliers amongst which the DAC performance...
WX-A50 (current generation, but old model) - Good performance for the price and type of amplifier
RX-V6A (current generationl) - Mixed bag with a lot of negative outliers, but OK for price level

hmt

This new YPAO version also has a 7 band PEQ option, including for subs. That does look tempting. Taken from the RX-A4A manual:
View attachment 131820
View attachment 131821

However, from the manual for these it is clear that you cannot turn off any of the internal amplifiers, so there will be pre-our saturation problems I imagine, even for the XLR out.

Also an RX V3800 I owned long ago had PEQ for subs. The Question is how many bands are available and how good the resolution is. 1/3rd octave would not be enough.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
The best rating but not the best measurements.
In the Home Theater AVR category it did. Not against dedicated Amps. If I am incorrect please provide link to support your statement.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Nothing new in the video.
Gene did mentioned that a possible review is coming up.
Also, a live interview with Yamaha people (sales, engineers?) is coming up next month.
Apparently Gene has not even looked at the Specs of these hammer drops. From the Manual of their Flagship RX-A8A AVR: Go to page 431 (Audio Section) paragraph and look at the quoted THD %. Yamaha RX-A8A AVR Manual

Top Bottom