• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

Tubaman

P.S. In addition to any parts that the shop will find that have failed, are there any other parts that I might consider replacing, even if they have not failed yet, in order to improve performance, or prevent a potential future failure?

Here is the exciting conclusion to the story! I took the receiver to a repair place, they left it on all day, and there was no problem! It appears that the reason the unit was turning itself off repeatedly here at my place was that there was a power problem in my building, which is a 1950's era co-op where the outlet wiring circuit I use is shared by my dwelling, and the three below me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
at my place was that there was a power problem in my building, which is a 1950's era co-op where the outlet wiring circuit I use is shared by my dwelling, and the three below me.
What country are you in? Curious to see what country code variations are or are not. :facepalm:

Tubaman

What country are you in? Curious to see what country code variations are or are not. :facepalm:
I live in Chicago, and I think I remember my building engineer having told me that the wiring in my building is so old that it features cloth insulation. By the way, I have used the receiver without problem since having retrieved it from the repair shop. If the problem occurs again though, I have a voltage regulator that I bought for my computer, but never use it for that purpose, so am wondering if I plug the receiver into it, whether that might help to keep the receiver from turning itself off when other residents of my building are drawing down the power.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a voltage regulator that I bought for my computer, but never use it for that purpose, so am wondering if I plug the receiver into it, whether that might help to keep the receiver from turning itself off when other residents of my building are drawing down the power.
What make and model is this voltage regulator?

Tubaman

I hate to admit it, but it has been years since i packed it away, and I don't know where it is at the moment. But, if I get around to locating it, I will post the make and model here.

sethr

Does anybody know how the rx-596 RDS differs from this one? It doesn't have the cd direct or pure direct buttons on the front and it's 250 watts. I did a quick perusal of the manual and neither pure or cd direct are mentioned. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anybody know how the rx-596 RDS differs from this one? It doesn't have the cd direct or pure direct buttons on the front and it's 250 watts. I did a quick perusal of the manual and neither pure or cd direct are mentioned. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up.

I can't speak about this particular receiver, but I would be careful of using Yamaha's "CD Direct". On at least some of their components, the "CD Direct" feature routes the signal through an additional gain stage and mucks with the signal. The "Pure Direct" is the better way to go if you want to bypass tone controls.

Personally, I wouldn't by any component like this that didn't have a "Pure Direct" or "Direct" option. YMMV.

hifi72

When looking for a quality amp, I picked up a used ax-592 recently, and it sounds really great. I'm using it primarily as a power amp for my focal aria floor standers and using a Moon integrated as a pre. I wanted to get more power without taking a hit on selling the Moon. Quite happy with the combination.

CathyRD

I have a Yamaha RX-596 with a defective operation PCB Pt# VZ928400. The part is no longer available. If anyone wants my receiver for parts I would mail it within Canada for postage costs plus cost of diagnosis from local tech centre. Some wear on exterior. Everything else worked great on it up until the board went (1 exception is the input dial would sometimes - but rarely - reset itself when I tried to change inputs. Others have noted this problem). Photos available on request, including diagnostics from repair centre.

CathyRD

I have a Yamaha RX-596 with a defective operation PCB Pt# VZ928400. The part is no longer available. If anyone wants my receiver for parts I would mail it within Canada for postage costs plus cost of diagnosis from local tech centre. Some wear on exterior. Everything else worked great on it up until the board went (1 exception is the input dial would sometimes - but rarely - reset itself when I tried to change inputs. Others have noted this problem). Photos available on request, including diagnostics from repair centre.

Attachments

• 3BDD11F5-4549-4B44-95BE-F3E5B85C436F.jpeg
    3BDD11F5-4549-4B44-95BE-F3E5B85C436F.jpeg
    1,009 KB · Views: 102
  • A8A3A6FE-DDC4-4B9A-B8ED-BA672AC62E37.jpeg
    A8A3A6FE-DDC4-4B9A-B8ED-BA672AC62E37.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 107
  • C9AE6546-EAA9-4818-9E85-FCA2F9388BA9.jpeg
    C9AE6546-EAA9-4818-9E85-FCA2F9388BA9.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 123

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @CathyRD . What is the name of the PCB that is stated to require replacement?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All I know is what the tech repair shop wrote on my receipt - part number shown above (VZ928400 )(& photo of receipt). Sorry I'm not a techie.
It appears they diagnosed something at the "Operation PCB" as being the fault. It's the PCB at the front panel with the display and the system control IC.
rx596 - 3.png

rx596 - 4.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
speaking of this little receiver -- I stumbled across a photo this evening of its innards.
This was taken in July 2020 during the ca. every decade switch and pot cleaning ritual that most Yamaha components seem to require. :)

1630891966392.jpeg

1630892040401.jpeg

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
Does anybody know what the original price for this was? And in what time period. I have seen the year 1990 mentioned.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know what the ordinal price for this was? And in what time period. I have seen the year 1990 mentioned.

Thanks.
$569.00 CND sell price comes to mind. Retail was slightly higher. It sold very well at $569.00 and I sold many of them. The time period of 1990 and onward is about right if not 1992 and onward.

bladerunner6

Forum Donor
$569.00 CND sell price comes to mind. Retail was slightly higher. It sold very well at $569.00 and I sold many of them. The time period of 1990 and onward is about right if not 1992 and onward.
Thanks so much.

Given inflation from 1990 to today that $1027 CND.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks so much.

Given inflation from 1990 to today that $1027 CND.
Yes, the gear was comparatively more expensive back then. I sold the stuff for 9 years in the 80s and 90s and it still surprises me today at what people where purchasing back then. We also retailed Yamaha surround DSP component pieces the first of it's kind in home audio for several thousands of dollars each near every day of the week. Could not keep the stuff in stock it was that popular. The RX-596 in question did stand out in the sound room as a better sounding amplifier and that is rare. Hence it was sold for a premium in it's day because people could hear a difference.

RoyRoyRoy

Hi everyone,

Just created this account to say that I'm glad this review was written and can attest to how good this receiver sounds.

I guess I got lucky and just picked this receiver up for $40 CDN from Facebook marketplace. That's about $3 USD :) I knew I got lucky because even the screws to the case were flawless. This thing had never been opened, and only a thin layer of dust was present. There was distortion when using the tone controls and balance, but after a little contact cleaner and exercising the controls, the distortion was all gone. In addition, the person using said it said they only used it for the CD player. As such all of the buttons for the memory presets and FM/AM were out of whack. If you press 1, 3 would go on. If you press FM, Memory would go on.

I think this person just hadn't pushed those buttons in decades. The solution I found was just to rapidly press every single button. Like hundreds of times. Then all of them started working! I'm just down to a finicky 1 and 2 preset. All the rest are working perfectly.

I also want to add one thing about this receiver that wasn't tested, and that is the really good FM tuner that it has! It's not going to win any awards or have DXers running after it, but I think it's pretty decent. I have a Sony STR-7045 (currently rebuilding the power supply for it) and it out performs it in my opinion. Mind you I'm sure the FM tuner for that could use a calibration as it's 48 years old. So it's not a really fair comparison.

Yamaha RX-596 FM SECTION:
Tuning Range
[U.S.A. and Canada models]
..........................................87.5 to 107.9 MHz
[Australia and General models]
..........................................87.5 to 108.0 MHz

50 dB Quieting Sensitivity (IHF, 75 ohms)
Mono .................................1.55 µV (15.1 dBf)
Stereo...................................21 µV (37.7 dBf)

Usable Sensitivity (75 ohms)
(30 dB S/N Quieting, 1 kHz, 100% mod.)
.............................................0.8 µV (9.3 dBf)
DIN, Mono (S/N 26 dB) ........................0.9 µV
DIN, Stereo (S/N 46 dB)........................24 µV

Image Response Ratio ............................45 dB
IF Response Ratio...................................70 dB
Spurious Response Ratio.........................70 dB
AM Suppression Ratio..............................55 dB
Capture Ratio ..........................................1.5 dB
Alternate Channel Selectivity ..................85 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF)
Mono/Stereo ..............................80 dB/75 dB

Harmonic Distortion (1 kHz)
Mono/Stereo .....................................0.1/0.2%
Stereo Separation (1 kHz)......................50 dB
Frequency Response
20 Hz to 15 kHz..............................0 ±1.5 dB

AUDIO SECTION
Output Level/Impedance
FM (100% mod., 1 kHz)..........................................500 mV/2.2 k-ohm

This is a wonderful site. Have a good day!

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
:) I enjoyed reading it again. :)

Thank goodness that people send them for testing.

Top Bottom