• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok great. Thanks you've saved me a lot of time looking around for a better amp. Seems the one I've got is pretty hard to beat. So the 64,000 dollar question is - what is the best sounding amplifier you've tried and is there an amp which can beat the Rx 596?
I like the Kinergetics KBA-75. It's a 75W/Ch Class A amplifier that sounds exceptional. I've owned this.
They can be found used and come in anodized black or a anodized green platinum color.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinergetic...590993?hash=item2d08687211:g:4pEAAOSwuNZeX5ky
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ki...906976?hash=item444507aca0:g:EJMAAOSw~zFdcgeo

KKK.jpg

If you go to page 3 you will see the specs and this amp is linear down to 2 Ohms
http://www.watchobs.com/Share/KBA 75.pdf

Last edited:

davidr3032

I like the Kinergetics KBA-75. It's a 75W/Ch Class A amplifier that sounds exceptional. I've owned this.
They can be found used and come in anodized black or a anodized green platinum color.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinergetic...590993?hash=item2d08687211:g:4pEAAOSwuNZeX5ky
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ki...906976?hash=item444507aca0:g:EJMAAOSw~zFdcgeo

View attachment 57971
If you go to page 3 you will see the specs and this amp is linear down to 2 Ohms
http://www.watchobs.com/Share/KBA 75.pdf

Cool. That's a very impressive looking amp. One day it will be mine! As far as the Yamaha natural sound range goes and this price bracket, do you think I am best just sticking to what I've got? It's looking like I'd have to spend big bucks to beat what I have already

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't get excited about gear which is long out of production.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool. That's a very impressive looking amp. One day it will be mine! As far as the Yamaha natural sound range goes and this price bracket, do you think I am best just sticking to what I've got? It's looking like I'd have to spend big bucks to beat what I have already
As long as your RX 596 is a good match for the impedance of your speakers keep what you have unless you are ready for a serious upgrade. The RX 596 is a good amp for it's price range.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
There’s something about out of production audio that is easy to service that is appealing to me. In a way they are obsolete proof.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s something about out of production audio that is easy to service that is appealing to me. In a way they are obsolete proof.
For sure. Looking at the new class D amps and monster receivers gives me worries about service. Parts are proprietary, inductors are uncommon and generally they are unserviceable for the commoner. The older gear uses readily available parts and is designed that it can be serviced.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
That’s what I’m talking about! You said it well. I tend to like discussions on gear like this Yamaha because of that. Everything you need for good sound and nothing you don’t.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's very interesting. I wonder if these modern amps are an improvement on the Rx 596. Has anyone compared them?
David Rich used to review integrated amps for the erstwhile Audio Critic. His general view on Japanese integrated amps through the years was that for every 'improvement' or new electrical doo-dad offered, they'd take away or remove something the previous model offered that was as good if not better than the new circuit. So, at least in Dr. Rich's view, it was a mixed bag.

Generally too, among the then current offerings, Yamaha was often on top of the heap compared to competing gear from Marantz, Denon, and a few others.

I think that nowadays Marantz and Denon are the same company, or owned by the same holding group. Sansui and Kenwood/Trio are history, I have no idea what is going on with Pioneer or who owns it; I believe Onkyo has an integrated or two. FWIW I would think that new mid-range Yamaha is the sweet spot in Japanese integrated amps (not sure any but the expensive ones are even made in Japan). Then there's the high priced spread--Lux and Accuphase, brands that play in a different universe.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
can't get excited about gear which is long out of production.
In a way, the RX-596 is not out of production. Review the service manual schematics and parts lists of it and say, the current as501, and they are strikingly similar.

The as501 does use a pair of 9A complementary final output vs. a single 15a complementary pair in the RX-596, an improvement, but otherwise - not a lot of difference..

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cant get excited about people who don't like facts.

forart.it

My 1st amplifier was/is a (trashed !) A-760.

I do also own:
- M-50
- AX-396
- RX-V663 (that serves as stereo 3 way multiamp/dac)

All acquired used and still working correctly and flawlessly. Great sound.

That's why, of course, I'm a Yamaha addicted/lover.

davidr3032

As long as your RX 596 is a good match for the impedance of your speakers keep what you have unless you are ready for a serious upgrade. The RX 596 is a good amp for it's price range.

Thanks. You have me convinced that at this price bracket I won't find a better amplifier. I'm wondering what my options are for an upgrade. How about I went for a more expensive Yamaha amplifier that was similar to the Rx 596, from the same era and similar design? I have been looking at the ax 892 for example which has better specs with less distortion and more power. There is also an ax 900 and some separate Yamaha power / pre amps from around this time which were pricier than the Rx 596.anyone got any recommendations here?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. You have me convinced that at this price bracket I won't find a better amplifier. I'm wondering what my options are for an upgrade. How about I went for a more expensive Yamaha amplifier that was similar to the Rx 596, from the same era and similar design? I have been looking at the ax 892 for example which has better specs with less distortion and more power. There is also an ax 900 and some separate Yamaha power / pre amps from around this time which were pricier than the Rx 596.anyone got any recommendations here?
Both the AX892 and the AX900 are killer integrated amps. I have much experience with the AX900 and it's a beast with lotsa power on tap. You would do well with either.

davidr3032

Both the AX892 and the AX900 are killer integrated amps. I have much experience with the AX900 and it's a beast with lotsa power on tap. You would do well with either.

Ok that's good to know. How do they sound compared to the Rx 596?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok that's good to know. How do they sound compared to the Rx 596?
The AX900 has tighter bass and more thump available if you want to turn up the volume and loudness control. It's simply much more powerful.

davidr3032

The AX900 has tighter bass and more thump available if you want to turn up the volume and loudness control. It's simply much more powerful.

Ok I guess that might be the answer to my upgrade search. Is there more detail and refinement in higher priced Yamaha amps like the ax 900 or is it just a case of more bass thump?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok I guess that might be the answer to my upgrade search. Is there more detail and refinement in higher priced Yamaha amps like the ax 900 or is it just a case of more bass thump?
It's a little bit better but don't expect large differences. It's mostly a case of more power.

Tubaman

I have an RX-596 that I had been using regularly, and then let it sit for a year or two without being used. I live in Chicago, and there was enough live music that I got out of the habit of listening to recorded music. Since the concert halls are closed now, as a result of the COVID-19 distancing precautions, I began using the receiver again. I used it for a few hours one day, and a few the next, and then it shut itself off, and now, anytime I turn it on, it will play for just a short time, produce intermittent distortion, and then shut itself off.

I was not sure whether to take it in for repairs, but the comments here make it clear that I have a high quality unit, and that it would be worth getting it repaired. Can anyone advise on what the problem might be, and if so, what it might cost for repairs, or are these questions unanswerable until the shop does some testing? A friend suggested that my having let the unit sit may have allowed capacitors/filters to dry out, and fail.

Tubaman

P.S. In addition to any parts that the shop will find that have failed, are there any other parts that I might consider replacing, even if they have not failed yet, in order to improve performance, or prevent a potential future failure?

Top Bottom