• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

beagleman

Major Contributor
Conclusions
The used Yamaha RX-596 is a surprising bargain. It clearly shows how much we have gone backward in today's race to add channels to AVRs while reducing their performance. This $10 amplifier produces the same power as them and despite its age, performed well.
I would call that an Apples to Oranges comparison though......

A newer AVR usually has 5-7 channels, HDMI inputs, Far more video and digital circuits, simply not even the same thing.

I mean I do AGREE with you, a nice receiver for the time. But these were not low priced either, back in the day.
I get what you are saying, as I own some vintage 2 channel receivers that I love also, but they are Far higher priced for what they are, compared to most AVRs of today.

My one fav, an old HK350i at 20 Watts per channel $220.00 in 1981 bought brand new, now (inflation adjusted) costs $700.00+ in todays dollars.

riker1384

Would this be a significant upgrade from an RX-496? They seem to be really close in power, 6-20% difference depending on which spec you're looking at. About two pounds weight difference. I wonder why they bother to make the two models.

violao

The test results on this thread bring a big smile to my face. About 5-years ago I scored a pristine Yamaha RX-596 on Facebook Marketplace (IIRC) for $30. I had no idea what an outstanding performer it has proven to be. Initially, I used it for my main listening system driving my Vandersteen Model 1B with an Onkyo 6-disc DVD player as a CD player and ProJect Debut III turntable. Then my old Kenwood 104AR receiver deployed in the living room died so the Yamaha RX-596 took its place for primary duty driving speakers for TV.

As luck would have it, I found a Yamaha HTR-5460 100-watt on Craigslist for $35.00 for my main listening system in the den. Weird as it may seem, I use my Yamaha "home theatre" HTR-5460 receiver as my critical listening device (2.0 only) and the standard receiver as my "home theatre" unit in the living room. The 596 is driving my old Bose 301-IIs (don't judge, I bought them new for $178 when I used to sell that crap back in the day) because frankly, there is little room for much else. Sadly, my Onkyo DV-CP702 6-disc DVD player started acting up, after only 5 years of use, but it was only a $20 Goodwill acquisition so c'est la vie. I decided to deploy my Pioneer DVL-909 LaserDisc/DVD/CD player in its stead that a pal gave to me for free. I am enjoying this current combo so much that I found an OEM $20 remote for the Yamaha HTR and a $14 remote for the Pioneer LaserDisc. Overall, I am astounded at how far your money goes for really good-quality Mid-Fi gear that has been gently used.

Many thanks to Amir for the outstanding work on this site. Cheers, man.

Richardjhy

Small tip - If RX-596 cannot be powered on due to whatever reason IC501 pin 36 not working, don't panic and just use the spare pin 23 instead.

1672337532122.png

goldark

Forum Donor
Here are the spec sheets. In the US the closest from that era would be the AX-592. An excellent integrated amplifier. I still have one in a tertiary bedroom system.

View attachment 57940
View attachment 57941
Based on this ad and Yamaha spec sheet, it appears that the RX-770 is the step-up in the same lineup as the RX-596. It includes all the TOPART construction and has even lower distortion numbers given by Yamaha. I expect it to measure at least as well as the RX-596. They both seem to be selling for similar prices on eBay so managed to pick one up for a spare bedroom system.

Pilot

Would someone know if the RX-V596 (receiver with digital inputs) measures equally well?
It has an "effect off" function, which I suppose is equivalent to "pure direct" and bypasses processing.
Thanks!

goldark

Forum Donor
Would someone know if the RX-V596 (receiver with digital inputs) measures equally well?
It has an "effect off" function, which I suppose is equivalent to "pure direct" and bypasses processing.
Thanks!
I would guess the amplifier through the analog inputs would measure similarly. If you have digital inputs, I would get a standalone DAC if you want good objective measurements.

Pilot

I am hoping to use its optical input because it's a long cable run and the analogue connection picks up a lot of interference from lights and dimmers.
Is its DAC expected to be not as good? Or are you suggesting using another one to be safe (since the DAC hasn't been measured)? Thanks!

goldark

Forum Donor
I am hoping to use its optical input because it's a long cable run and the analogue connection picks up a lot of interference from lights and dimmers.
Is its DAC expected to be not as good? Or are you suggesting using another one to be safe (since the DAC hasn't been measured)? Thanks!
These are older equipment so the DAC's would most likely not measure as well as the state of the art top performers on ASR. However, these might still be inaudible to you. Might as well try it out with the internal DAC's first and if there is a problem, get another DAC after that.

Pilot

I see, thanks. When you mentioned it I recalled reading that recent DACs are, as a rule, better

Pilot

So the RX-V596 sounds great. But it's showing its age, too, with this hum on the left channel:

It can be heard over the headphones, as well as the speakers. It goes away near the lowest and the highest volume setting.

Looking for suggestions on how this may be fixed. Can it be a capacitor?

A repair manual I found has some schematics but I lack the background to follow them - my unit is the "RX-V596RDS G Model".

Many thanks for any ideas! I think the amp is doing a great job driving both my newly acquired DBR62s as well as my old AKG K701s - it's worth trying to bring it back into shape.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So the RX-V596 sounds great. But it's showing its age, too, with this hum on the left channel:

It can be heard over the headphones, as well as the speakers. It goes away near the lowest and the highest volume setting.

Looking for suggestions on how this may be fixed. Can it be a capacitor?

A repair manual I found has some schematics but I lack the background to follow them - my unit is the "RX-V596RDS G Model".

Many thanks for any ideas! I think the amp is doing a great job driving both my newly acquired DBR62s as well as my old AKG K701s - it's worth trying to bring it back into shape.
Do you have a oscilloscope?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not, regrettably
The usual procedure for diagnosing such a complaint is to view the issue with a oscilloscope and trace the audio path backwards or forwards in the circuitry till the fault disappears or becomes very obvious. Standard divide and conquer troubleshooting tactics. Another typical method for DSP and volume control ICs is to freeze spray them or apply heat if they are suspect and the issue will either stay the same, get worse or be alleviated. Either way the unit is going to need to be opened top and bottom so that access is as easy as possible and then probe with a Oscilloscope and go from there.

Pilot

Stroke of luck! The culprit was the band shown in the photos. I moved it lightly and, apparently, the lower end made a good connection again. The amp got so quiet I had to check that it worked. The connection seems stable now - even if I shake the band there aren't any noises.

Attachments

• 1675061441723.jpg
    1675061441723.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 95
  • 1675061441696.jpg
    1675061441696.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 1675061441883.jpg
    1675061441883.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 94

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I would also, humbly, suggest the following :)
If the hum is audible with the volume control set to zero (and ideally with no sources connected, either) -- it is probably indicative of power supply filter capacitors. Probably being the operative word. :)

EDIT:
OK, never mind. ;)

nevermind-ignore-it.gif

Pilot

Thanks for pointing that out! I think/hope the caps are still OK since the buzz wouldn't be heard below about 8 and higher than 3 o' clock.
In any case, following the "band fix" above, the amp is devoid of any noises (with the sources set to digital). Left/right channels sound level, too.

Only toward max volume can you hear the, expected, faint "white noise" over the headphones (not sure what the proper term for that is - I suppose it's the amplifier's "pure" distortion at high volume?)

It's a bit of a gem this amplifier. To say nothing about the Elacs :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Stroke of luck! The culprit was the band shown in the photos. I moved it lightly and, apparently, the lower end made a good connection again. The amp got so quiet I had to check that it worked. The connection seems stable now - even if I shake the band there aren't any noises.
That's fantastic! Good for you.... :D

Top Bottom