• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha A-S1200 bass

Steph

Hi,

Does anyone knows this: when I turn de bass an treble to the left or right on my Yamaha A-S1200, the music stops for a second?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yes, both bass and treble settings, a few degrees to left and right.
Same for AS1100.
I asked all around, no explanation. I believe it is a threshold for something.
Even asked Yamaha Europe. No answer yet.

catch22

Forum Donor
Some Yamaha models (A-S3xx/5xx/7xx/8xx) have a dedicated "Pure Direct" button to activate the bypass of Bass, Treble, and Balance.
Higher models (A-S1xxx +) have automatic "Pure direct" activation when you move bass, treble or balance off the default.

In A-S7xx there is no gap in sound when you activate Pure Direct, and there is a very short gap approx 1/10 to 1/5 sec when you deactivate.
Maybe the implementation in A-S1xxx is different. Wait for owners' advice.

Overseas

Major Contributor
No, it is different.
Center position has a tactile feel and it goes Pure Direct.

Some degrees left and right, no tactile feel, just stops 1 sec.

catch22

Forum Donor
No, it is different.
Center position has a tactile feel and it goes Pure Direct.

Some degrees left and right, no tactile feel, just stops 1 sec.

Still looks ok to me. When you return to center, there is a tactile feel, and an activation of the bypass, which has no sound gap.
When you start moving off center to some degree, there is a deactivation of bypass at some point, and deactivation ( = engaging of Bass/Treble/Balance circuit) has a short gap in sound.
Only the duration of the gap is a concern. In 7xx case it is only a short fraction of a second, there is some gap but almost momentary.

Overseas

Major Contributor
So, you say until the button passes that little angle it is still Direct? And the center tactile feel us just a check?

catch22

Forum Donor
So, you say until the button passes that little angle it is still Direct? And the center tactile feel us just a check?
I think so. In an ideal case the angle to deactivate the bypass should be infinitely small, but in reality there must be some little threshold.
The tactile feel is not specific to automatic activation, in my AS700 I have the tactile feel in the center as well.

Overseas

Major Contributor
So that would be an interval left-right with the tactile centre, while sound stops at the interval limits.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi,

Does anyone knows this: when I turn de bass an treble to the left or right on my Yamaha A-S1200, the music stops for a second?
Thats alright.
If both BASS and TREBLE controls are set to 0 (zero), the audio signal will bypass the tone control circuit. When one of the two tone control knobs is moved from the 0 position, active and passive components are switched into the signal path. To do this, the signal is muted for a short time to avoid popping noises or similar in the signal path.
It couldn't be more perfect and purist than Yamaha makes it.

catch22

Forum Donor
Yep this is my understanding, If the angle is not too big, this is logical.
Maybe owners will clarify more, some people from "Inside yamaha amps" own A-S1xxx. @TheBatsEar if I am not wrong has A-S1xxx?
Just about the duration of the gap. @Overseas when you say "a second", is it really that long? it is very small in my A-S700, i would say 1/10s or 1/5s.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I checked same behaviour for AS2200.
1 sec is just an expression, anyway it is the blink of an eye.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Subject not in manual.
Yamaha support did not respond.
Of course engineers did it the right way, long time ago.

As usual, passionate users connect to the relevant technical beginnings.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Subject not in manual.
Yamaha support did not respond.
Of course engineers did it the right way, long time ago.

As usual, passionate users connect to the relevant technical beginnings.
I can remember some integrated amplifiers where the output was briefly muted if you changed something on the tone controls. That was over 20 years ago, partly in the 90s.
However, I don't remember anyone thinking about it at the time.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Checked again, only for Bass and Treble corrections, not Balance.
At, say 15 degrees from zero position, no matter the sense of moving (clockwise or reverse), it mutes a fraction of a second. Dont know if it has to do with Pure Direct or not. It is just there, for AS1100 and AS2200.

Zek

Major Contributor
Does it only happen when the Bass and Treble knob is moved from the center position to the right or left, or is there an interruption when the knob is out of the center position and moves left - right?

Overseas

Major Contributor
The imaginary points at 15-17 deg, left & right of the zero position => whenever you cross the knob over that position, it mutes rapidly.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Checked again, only for Bass and Treble corrections, not Balance.
At, say 15 degrees from zero position, no matter the sense of moving (clockwise or reverse), it mutes a fraction of a second. Dont know if it has to do with Pure Direct or not. It is just there, for AS1100 and AS2200.

Top Bottom