• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Recommendations for Wharfedale Linton 85th

JaccoW

Seeing all the comments about minimum wattage makes me feel like suggesting the new Technics SU-GX70 with its 80W @ 4Ω might be silly. :p
But apparently it has no issues driving the KEF R11 Meta or Yamaha NS2000A.

Then again, I'm still learning about amplifiers. The Linton's with the Audiolab 6000a (75W @ 4Ω) is also a combination I see quite often online.

tsfreo

Seeing all the comments about minimum wattage makes me feel like suggesting the new Technics SU-GX70 with its 80W @ 4Ω might be silly. :p
But apparently it has no issues driving the KEF R11 Meta or Yamaha NS2000A.

Then again, I'm still learning about amplifiers. The Linton's with the Audiolab 6000a (75W @ 4Ω) is also a combination I see quite often online.
As usual key relevant factors include size of listening space and volume levels as you consider what kind of power/amp capabilities are right for someone running Lintons. Sensible listening levels in a medium sized space don't demand huge power - but certainly I would go for an amp rated for 4 ohms when using the Lintons.
I chose a hypex amp based on the Ncore NC502MP as much out of curiosity and having the insurance of lots (probably more than I need) of headroom. Plus the versatility of being able to use that power amp with more demanding speakers some other time. I strongly suspect I would have been fine with a less powerful NC252 based amp (which many people use happily with Lintons). The NAD C368 certainly ran them well for me.

Audio2024

Hi, I'm new to ASR and would like to seek some advice. I presently have SMSL DO300 dac and a pair of SMSL A300 amplifier in dual mono btl ... will these little amp drive Wharfedale Linton 85th or Diamond 12.3 or 12.4
speakers properly. Tq

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A proper answer requires that we know how big a space you are in and how far you sit from the speakers.

Audio2024

My living room is about 4m × 5m, I'm now spacing 2.3m between the two speakers and sits about 3m in the centre from speakers. Just curious whether these little class d amp will pair well with the Wharfedale speakers...tq

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
“Pairing” is a word used to sell a lot of audio myths. It’s borrowed from wine-talk for a reason.

What you need is enough power when the amplifier is operating within specifications (that include inaudible distortion levels and flat frequency response). The Class of operation isn’t important.

Audio2024

“Pairing” is a word used to sell a lot of audio myths. It’s borrowed from wine-talk for a reason.

What you need is enough power when the amplifier is operating within specifications (that include inaudible distortion levels and flat frequency response). The Class of operation isn’t important.
Thks for the info:D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should be plenty of power bridged. Sounds like bridging the SMSL changes output impedance, which may change the FR a touch.

Top Bottom