• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XBOX Series X to Scarlett Solo 3rd gen

Pawelekdabek

I just bought XBOX Series X console and I was wondering if there is any way to connect it to my Scarlett Solo 3rd gen audio interface. Is there any way to extract audio from hdmi output of console and transfer it to Solo with USB-C?

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can connect DACs directly to the Xbox via USB, but only those that are UAC1 compliant. UAC2 compliant DACs will not work via USB.

Alternatively you can use an HDMI Audio Extractor to get digital out of the Xbox that way. But those only output Toslink or Coax Spdif. Not USB.

If you have to connect a UAC2 DAC via USB, then it may be possible like this:

Xbox -> HDMI -> Extractor -> Toslink -> Hifime UR23 (or similar) -> Raspberry Pi -> USB -> DAC

However, I have not tried this yet.

Edit: since the Solo 3rd Gen supports sample rates >96kHz, it is not UAC1 compliant and won't work plugged directly into the Xbox.
You'd have to either buy a DAC/interface with Toslink input along with an Extractor, or a DAC that's UAC1 compliant.

Last edited:

sonci99

These days there are less and less devices with spidf out. Does it add so much to the cost to have one?
I know that most are using receivers or soundbars, those with stereo dacs are only a small fraction, but really that optical port is always good to have..

OP
Pawelekdabek

Pawelekdabek

If you have to connect a UAC2 DAC via USB, then it may be possible like this:

Xbox -> HDMI -> Extractor -> Toslink -> Hifime UR23 (or similar) -> Raspberry Pi -> USB -> DAC
Can I connect Hifime UR23 to my macbook and "play" audio that was extracted? Cause my audio interface is connnected to it most of the time.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can I connect Hifime UR23 to my macbook and "play" audio that was extracted? Cause my audio interface is connnected to it most of the time.
You can definitely record Xbox audio with an Extractor and the UR23, then play it back on the Solo.
Whether you can couple the two within macOS to get live playback, I don't know.

OP
Pawelekdabek

Pawelekdabek

Btw. Could you tell me how can I use Raspberry Pi to output what comes from Hifime UR23? Maybe that will be easier to setup.

OP
Pawelekdabek

Pawelekdabek

Little update:

I have asked Hifime and they were very kind to answer my question and yes it is possible to extract audio form xbox and stream it with no noticeable delay.

However there is another solution. Slightly worse but zero cost. There is an app called Greenlight - github link, that let's you stream video + audio to your mac device. I still use video from xsx hdmi port but audio is delivered with this app.

carat

You can connect DACs directly to the Xbox via USB, but only those that are UAC1 compliant. UAC2 compliant DACs will not work via USB.
Where did you get the idea that the Xbox supports UAC1 compliant DACs? I'm pretty sure that's not the case. USB DAC support is a feature that has been constantly requested on the xbox insiders subreddit for years. Microsoft seems to be restricting support to licensed USB products from their useless partners. Maybe you're confusing it with the PS5. If you have first-hand experience running a UAC1 DAC on the xbox this would be a huge deal, and I'd love to know the exact xbox and DAC models used.

My FiiO BTA30 in UAC1 mode definitely doesn't work with the Series X.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Where did you get the idea that the Xbox supports UAC1 compliant DACs?
Multiple advertisements, like the one below for the SMSL C200, gave me the impression that the UAC1 USB thing applied to both consoles:
202208311427565378 (2).jpg

It's possible that that's just false advertising and I ended up peddling their lies on this thread :(.

If that's the case, then I sincerely apologize.

I have a few UAC1 devices laying around, but do not own an Xbox.

carat

Multiple advertisements, like the one below for the SMSL C200, gave me the impression that the UAC1 USB thing applied to both consoles:
View attachment 302379

It's possible that that's just false advertising and I ended up peddling their lies on this thread :(.

If that's the case, then I sincerely apologize.

I have a few UAC1 devices laying around, but do not own an Xbox.
Thanks, I'll have to try to find someone who can test this.

EDIT: Not promising: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...200-review-dac-amp.36850/page-31#post-1598265

Top Bottom